Author Topic: Secret of Siddhi  (Read 9998 times)

nearoanoke

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 02:16:28 AM »
>>How then could anyone desire God so intensly when there is no way of defining God or even knowing if what you feel can be labeled as God? This person could only love their idea of God which is not the same thing to me.

Hi Maatsuah,

A very good point. These beliefs about god come from childhood from parents/society/religion. Intense desire develops to see or realize that god in person which drives the spiritual practices of the aspirant. Does it matter who we are concentrating on? I dont think so. Whether it is buddha/krishna/jesus, I feel the result would be same. It doesnt even matter whether a god really exists or not also. It is only our longing that brings out the god for us. Creates one if he doesnt exist!!

This ishta concept might sound illogical to some who want to realize truth instead. But even though it is mad love that made the former start on practices, I think everyone will pass through these stages of realizing truth as the god at some point.

-Near

Maatsuah

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 06:33:37 AM »
Thank you for your well thoughout explanation of what I might have misjudged as elusive and unctuous ideas regarding desire of Godd Yogani.  

It does occur to me on closer reexamination of my own beliefs that most of us can also accept the idea of a creator when other definitions of God don't suffice.

This idea of Ishta is new to me, but since I do believe in tolerance, this concept does not sound illogical to me nearoanoke, especially as a tool for developing Bakti.  The idea of expanding Ishta sounds like a good goal for the refinement of one's spiritual practice.  I've definately been given something new to research as well as a different way to approach my views on on siddhis, God and desire.

I know the Guru is within us as you are found of saying Yogani, but I'm still glad your in the periphery sowing your seeds of insight.

Maximus

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2006, 09:14:07 PM »
'Jim and his karma''s replies about desires make me sick. He says that all desire is futile except the desire to be desireless. Are you saying that we just give up all desires and go to forest and sit crossslegged day and night? You might counter by saying that duties dictate what one should do day and night and not desires. But even duties are assumed in the first place based on the desire for the end result aren't they? If someone is a doctor his duty would be to treat patients. You might say there is no room for desire here. But he chose to be a doctor in the first place because of some desire.
If one is supposed to give up all desires, then what would dictate duty? If there were no desires what would prompt a soul to take birth as a species?  
Are you saying that all the human growth and progress as a civilization amounts to no value in the end because they are based on material pursuits and desires? If desirelessness is the rule, there ought be no Hollywood, no Olympics, no Sciences, no Politics, nothing? Just sitting cross legged day and night?

david_obsidian

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2006, 07:36:27 AM »
Maximus said:
'Jim and his karma''s replies about desires make me sick. He says that all desire is futile except the desire to be desireless. Are you saying that we just give up all desires and go to forest and sit crossslegged day and night?

Actually Maximus,  you might do best answering yourself this question you asked,  and I think you can:  Is J&K saying that we just give up all desires and go to forest and sit crossslegged day and night?

And if he is not saying that,  exactly what is he saying?

I can't really answer for him,  but I can say this much about teaching yoga in general:  summings-up can be a little dicey in practice,  because people's obsessive fundamentalist mind-sets can latch into them and get them all wrong.  Some people have a tendency to latch onto something like 'drop all desires' and take them to an extreme and try to make a whole way of life out of them -- that in itself follows from an obsessiveness which is itself rooted in both strong desire and it's cousin, fear.

The path is more subtle than that -- and doing it well has a certain swing,  flow and rhythm to it.  Take instructions a little more like a jazz musician would take instruction from another -- and less like a dedicated young maoist would take up Mao's Little Red Book -- read between the lines,  and don't reduce or extremize.

Above all relax -- everything that was written here is probably your friend,  whether you temporarily get sick on it or not.

Hunter

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2006, 01:40:05 PM »
Hi Brother Maximus,
                   Perhaps Jim is speaking of performing one's duties and being quite active in the world except not being attached to the outcomes. Being active in the world while constantly remembering what it is that is really important, what it is that is really worth working for.
I don't really know, actually I have very little understanding of anything.
Mainly I just wanted to say that whatever Jim posts on this forum is meant only to be helpful, meant only for good.

Much love to you
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:18:18 PM by Hunter »

LittleDragon

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2006, 03:25:11 PM »
Maximus,

First of all, I would like to second what David and Hunter have said. Jim has a good amount of insight and expresses it quite well. That doesn't mean that it isn't hard to understand. I doubt that Jim would say that he is without desires, or that he doesn't act on them. But I think he does see through them, past them, sees them for what they really are.

But, boy, you really know how to ask the hard questions. I also struggle with this desire issue. Without it, what would ever happen, yes? If this physical world was created, (and you may not think it was), doesn't that imply a "desire" on the Creator's part? If that is the case desire can't be classified as being totally "bad".

If you get involved in some form of spiritual practice I think you will find that your desires become less important to you. Less a measure of who you really are. But you will probably still have some form of desire, they will come and go, change, just like the weather. But that's ok, as long as you handle them in an ethical manner. Sometimes the world needs the rain, sometimes it needs sunshine.

sadhak

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma
We are so frigging dumb. We don't catch on. We are as stupid as dogs running at the track chasing the mechanical rabbit. We have all the big picture view of a racing dog.

You're looking at one right now. I just felt very happy to finish a long haul of work and get back to the forum, and do what I felt like today. While so many things could happen in the next moment a million times worse than working my backside off. There I go... aversion and favouring. Thanks for reminding me for this moment. I'm also content to remember only for now[:)]

Hairkhan

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 03:59:44 PM »
quote:
Maximus:  Are you saying that we just give up all desires and go to forest and sit crossslegged day and night?

Sir, have you read the Gita?  One cannot escape action/desire simply by sitting crosslegged. Furthermore, choosing to do "nothing" is itself an action!  Action and desire lie not with/in the body, but in the mind.  For one who is God-Realized, the ego (or I-sense) has been dissolved.  In such a being, even acting with the body -- he yet does nothing.  He does what is appropriate at the appropriate time (his duty) yet is unconcerned with the outcome.  Karma is only generated when one performs an action for the purpose of getting something, or out of concern for the result (fruit of the action), and with the notion "I do this."  And yes, it is quite possible to perform one's duties without care for the results.

So how do we get rid of the desire?  We must get rid of the ego.  How do we get rid of the ego?  The ego will only be dissolved when we are able to still the mind (or prana) through meditation and/or pranayama.

Sir, in the meantime offer all of your actions to God. And also, leave the results to Him.  What will be will be.  Know that it is through His power that you have breath (life), that your limbs move, that you eat, sleep, etc. etc.  

Bowing to You
hairakhan

taitai

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 04:22:27 PM »
Hello, I am new to the Forums & hope you don't mind my adding something on this topic! I followed Buddism for many years, along with J Krishnamurti's teachings;  having moved to a country where  no contact with these philosophies was possible, I began to attend a  Hare Krishna temple. . . but still searching, I was lead to  a Gnostic site (gnosis.usa)  I find their techniques for destroying the egos very helpful, but the emphasis on being able to astral project has lead me to a dead end.  I have only achieved it consciously on one occasion, & that through praying to the Divine Mother to allow me to experience it as a "proof", "even if only once in this lifetime".  It was truly the most blissful experience of my life;  I have been meditating for most of my life, & always agreed that siddhis were distractions, but lately I am quite obsessed with getting out of the body again. I dreamed some years back that Swami Sivananda appeared to me, saying that if I would grant him 15 minutes of my time, he would make it up to me in a future existence.  I took this seriously  7 have read all of his works,  which are also recommeded by Samael Aun Weor, who is the founder of the Gnostic sect I mentioned. Now I feel very drawn to Yogani's simple, direct teachings but I am also concerned that this is "guru shoppping" - is there any word of advice anyone would care to share with me?  Thank you!

Namaste

NagoyaSea

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 04:56:13 PM »
Taitai, welcome to the forum. We are very glad that you are here. Thank you for your post!

light and love,

Kathy

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 07:59:58 PM »
Hi Taitai, welcome to the forum

I too was and still am to an extent, involved in Buddhist practice.
I have maintained the practice of mindfulness in my daily life and love the simplicity of this in Buddhism.
My meditation practice is AYP now and has been for over a year. It is probably not as simple as zen buddhist meditation, but the simplicity of zen is not easily accessed by everyone.
I also find the AYP practice to be much more stable in its effect throughout the day, which is what really matters.

You said:

quote:
Now I feel very drawn to Yogani's simple, direct teachings but I am also concerned that this is "guru shoppping" - is there any word of advice anyone would care to share with me? Thank you!

Well you will see at the end of every post from Yogani "The guru is in you". This is the approach here. Yogani does not set himself up as a guru, instead he gives all the teachings, made freely available, and gives each individual responsibility for their own practice. This is monitored by the individual through "self pacing" (you can do a search for this if you want to find more).

Whilst it is acknowledged that some people prefer to have a guru, this is not where we are coming from here.

Hope you enjoy the site, if you havn't done so already you can gradually work through the Main Lessons and settle into the practice.
Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

As Yogani would say - The guru is in you[:)]
Louis

gaja lakshmi

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »
my advice is
sidhhi is not so hard to get it
lord give you siddhi also will take somethng away from you
are you ready to accept consenqeuncy

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2007, 07:35:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum, gaja lakshmi[:)]

quote:
lord give you siddhi also will take somethng away from you
are you ready to accept consenqeuncy

Yes - I see what you mean.
We struggle so much to hold onto what was always ours anyway. Our very life is a gift in itself. Yet - it is a paradox. The more we are willing to let go of "ownership" of life, the broader we become...since the same life flows in everyone and everything.

What is taken from us in the process of seing our wholeness, is only that which keeps us in the illusion of separation.

But, as you say, the consequences are not so easy to accept. It is in our nature to kick and scream [:o)]
However - with increasing inner silence, clarity in understanding results. It is so much easier to let go, when you start to experience the Joy of giving yourself away....as opposed to the pain of holding on to who you think you are.

Please keep sharing your perspectives with us, gaja!

gaja lakshmi

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »
if you wanna know what is techniq to siddhis or the wisdom
i dont mind to share with you
there are many kinds of siddhis
please do let me know what kind of siddhis you wanna achive in ur life time
i know some of them not all of them
if you are really serious taking as practice

meenarashid

Secret of Siddhi
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2007, 01:04:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by meenarashid

aum

OK disclaimer i have a large ego and am very arrogant myself so in recognising this ...it can be abundantly clear when reading other peoples posts or hearing them speak

Meg it seems you are totally onto something my life is far from calm at all times or anytimes BUT what you mention does seem to work going THROUGH any and all desirestoward ONE i cant say im enlightened or any of that stuff but the quality of the relationships in my life  and everything i see around me & IN me shows yea im on a path toward moksha yea even been there a few times but as we all know the shifting of life and the layers.. well liberation at times is like pearls on a string ...

but man Jim & his karma reading some of your posts i honestly am shocked at this arrogance!
like this
**What you're talking about is at the heart of the occult. And occult isn't far from tantra, and tantra isn't far from yoga. But occult is pretty far from yoga. I just want to make sure you understand where this path leads.**

it seems that we all need to WAKE up however is appropriate for ourselves otherwise we simply will not stay awake ! the aypforums and practices do rock but it is STILL practicing what another person is telling you to practice rather than findin in YOU what will wake you up siddhis and all & yes ive seen them come and gothrough me but as a wonderful teacher of mine has stated let them pass like a train ..but they are helpfull at times & are there when needed they just ARE

also when getting to the bare bones of yoga  ALL IS YOGA every single path every single breath

seems some in here need to let some of that intellect slide a bit

hahah myself included

aummmmm

also if my post seems all over the place.. GOOD!