Author Topic: Self pacing to a fault?  (Read 655 times)

LucienneK

Self pacing to a fault?
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
I have been practicing for a few years now and have found that I am a sensitive meditator. Right now I have been doing 12 minutes of DM twice a day with lots of rest afterwards and things have been going great for quite a while. I have tried a few times to add to my practice, most recently 3 minutes of spinal breathing. I did this for 2 days but ended up only being able to have a morning practice both days. On the second day, I got kinda emotional,(which isn't that unheard of as I am 4 months pregnant! [;)]) and had a headache which finally left this morning. I ended up leaving out the spinal breathing today and have felt better.

My question is, can there be a bit of normal overload that happens for a short period after adding to your practice? Maybe more so for sensitive practitioners? Should I push through the overload a little bit and see if things will smooth out?

I'm getting a little frustrated as I feel like I'm stuck at a stand still. I would really like to further my practice and continue to grow and strengthen from it but feel as though every time I try to take a tiny step forward, I'm pushed back two.

Thanks in advance for any input!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:03:49 PM by LucienneK »

Yaming

Self pacing to a fault?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »
What if you try to just do a few breath cycles of pranayama? Maybe just 2 and see how it goes. I know it's almost nothing, but hey if you react so strongly to it maybe a tiny baby step will be the right thing to try. Important is, that you do strictly stay with it. So if you do not get any overlaod symptoms from 2 I would not recommend increasing it for a few weeks at least and then add maybe another 2. Bet on the turtois! :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:53:40 AM by Yaming »

JDH

Self pacing to a fault?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »
When I am feeling the desire to add a new practice, but am running into self pacing issues with it - I will do it one time, and then wait a week or two to try again.  After adding it once a week, I eventually increase its frequency.

LucienneK

Self pacing to a fault?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
Thank you for the great advice JDH and Yaming! I've started adding three cycles at the beginning of each practice and so far things have been going smoothly. If I run into any rockiness I will try only doing it once a week and go from there.
Thanks again!