Author Topic: How do you do it?  (Read 682 times)

Nietziello

How do you do it?
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm a big fan of yoga and buddhism books and have also bought almost all of the Yogani books. I've been wanting to start my own routine of yoga for a long time now, but many books just sound like mumbo jumbo to me so they aren't any real help. So I'm convinced that Yogani is the way to go, but I have a few questions.

So I want to begin doing the things Yogani teaches. My first problem is that I take medicines everyday (anti-depressiva) and I hear that some people get negative emotions or feelings during meditation, and that scares me off a bit. And the negative stories of kundalini aren't helping either. I have no clue on how to handle the practice

I am a smoker planning to quit (like everyone else *wink*) and thus am quite confused if pranayama or spinal breathing would be a wise thing to do since your working with the lungs.

So far the only thing I can think of is doing what is in the Yogani book "Bhakti and Karma". Since if I'm correct is selfless service.

I do really want to start a serious daily practice, but I want to do it as safe as possible. Does anyone have tips, advice or maybe even a schedule. Which book to read first or where to start?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Namaste,
Kevin

woosa

How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:28:35 AM »
Hi Kevin

I know what you mean by how some books are filled with mumbo jumbo.  That's why I stick to fiction books [:D].

Deep Meditation twice a day for 20 mins a session is the way to go. Preferably upon waking up and before breakfast; in the evening before your meal.

I wouldn't worry about the terrible horror stories of kundalini. As we are all familiar here with self pacing energy overloads shouldn't be a problem.

Spinal breathing is just like regular breathing, the only difference being that your attention follows your breath up and down your spinal nerve. So if you can breathe you can do spinal breathing! But first things first I would try meditation.

Seems we have another smoker on the forum recently [;)] so you could form a pact. Although I doubt much willpower is needed because deep meditation has an effect of letting habits just fall away...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:52:11 AM by woosa »

jasis

How do you do it?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 06:42:14 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Spinal breathing is no problem and I do still smoke. However, its recommended to start AYP practices with Deep Meditation, 20 minutes in the morning and the same in the evening, before you eat anything. I wouldnt worry about the smoking. As Woosa said, if you can breathe can can meditate :)

I've only been practicing for a few months myself and can already feel many positive effects.

Good luck with your path :)

Jasis

Nietziello

How do you do it?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
I'm going to start reading the DM book of Yogani and start there and then progress from there.

Many thanks for the advice woosa and jasis!

devrim

• http://http://www.newheavendiveschool.com/yoga/
How do you do it?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
Hello Kevin, as far as yoga practices go 1% theory and 99% practice will be the surest way. All that book reading will not get you far, only practices will. Of course the insecurity of starting a practice on your own is a huge stumberling block, however if you have the Bhakti to start you will cross that bridge and move surely and safely along your path. You also have a massive support base here if you get lost some where along the jourey, so no fear Kevin, jump straight into practices any time NOW is good.
devrim

jeff

How do you do it?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:29:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by devrim

NOW is good.

[:)]

jasis

How do you do it?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 04:06:01 AM »
quote: