Author Topic: my experience with self-pacing  (Read 1336 times)

kami

my experience with self-pacing
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:39 AM »
Hi Devrim,

Thank you for bringing up the issue of under-sensitivity to practices [:)] I have to say I'm one of those, although some here who know me well would disagree [:D]. I've had the same experience as you - charging ahead with full-force bhakti for months and months with very little in terms of overload or "progress", (at least that *I* could detect).. However, the imbalance I felt when cutting back on practices (for lack of time) was an indication that things *were* happening "under the hood" (as Yogani would say) after all! For me, self-pacing is not always about cutting back, but *judiciously* adding more. I have rarely felt discomfort from practicing too much (except for the time I developed headaches after adding Navi Kriya).

Self-pacing in terms of cutting back seems to happen automatically here. There are times when I just can't get to the whole routine, and invariably it will be right after I've charged ahead with days/weeks of intense practices or when I'm generally irritable (again, not sure if it is from practices or just being irritable [:D]).

Either way, my approach to this whole thing has evolved significantly and continues to evolve on a daily basis. I've lost the urgency to become enlightened or have the experiences others describe here on the forum. There has been a lot of letting go of long-held concepts and beliefs, pain, past stuff, expectations, whatever. The freedom that brings is exhilarating. So, practices *are* working on my matrix obstructions [:D]. I do what I can in terms of twice-daily sessions, don't judge it, and let it go also.

Love,
kami

devrim

• http://http://www.newheavendiveschool.com/yoga/
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 02:00:24 AM »
hello kami,  its good to hear about your expriences. i have always looked at being an under sensitive practitoner as an advantage as (at least in my experience) it allows you to move deep into the practices without any discomfort. But learning to be able to drop and let things go, even the practices is a lesson i am enjoying right now. As my experience deepens with AYP i am discovering the value of Bhati more and more, for if the passion is there wether your practices are zero or hours of the day you will always be moving in the right direction.
devrim.

nearoanoke

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 04:42:02 AM »
Kami & devrim,

I can relate very well with your experiences. I fall into the same under-sensitive boat. No visions. No experiences. No tangible signs of progress. AYP is my first spiritual practice and I have been I AMing on and off for the past 6 years equals about 4 years of consistent practice.

Here are a few things I noticed though

Self-Pacing for undersensitive may mean pressing forward more aggressively again with caution and backing off as necessary. I made changes to my regular schedule first by adding a lot of AYP energy practices. Increased SBP from 5 to 10 min, Added sambhavi, mulabandha, Added Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka and in a month Chin Pump, Bastrika and then asanas, navi kriya, nauli etc... In addition to these I've added a silent sitting meditation as an afternoon session. Just sit and do nothing like what we do in retreats. Also recently from the past few weeks, I have been attending a Buddhist center and doing my AYP meditation with a group there. Sometimes I do two meditations in the evenings with the group especially when I dont do silent sitting in the afternoon. I wouldnt recommend all these to everyone. Safety always comes first.

Adding wide range of practices (like energy practices) than doing more of the same practice (more of DM) is more effective. Satsang's and community and reading will help too. Will more hardwork bring us toward the goal faster? As in the Zen student example above, it may not matter at all. But we need to make sure we fill up our cup everyday and do all that is possible.

- Near
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:44:04 AM by nearoanoke »