Author Topic: UK Retreat 2010  (Read 1544 times)

Wafu

UK Retreat 2010
« on: July 10, 2010, 02:37:17 AM »
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine (Idiotegue) and I are thinking of organising a UK retreat over the summer, and wanted to get an idea of how many others may be interested in joining us. We are based in the South East (Kent), so the retreat will most likely take place in this area. However the location will ultimately depend on the needs of everyone involved, so the retreat may take place at a more central location if this is appropriate.

Incidentally, does anyone know of any retreats that are already arranged?

Love,

Alex

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:24:10 AM »
Hi Alex,
What an awesome idea!!!!!

Here are a few links on other retreats organized by a few of our members.
 AYP Retreat in Ireland
Czech AYP retreat  09

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3805#35783
AYP Retreat  in Ireland 29th July 2008
Weekend Solo Retreats - Schedule & Information

I know Katrine organizes many retreats and will chime in.[:)]

I am sure others will chime in too. 

Wish you and Idiotegue all the best.[:)]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:11:05 PM by yogani99 »

amoux

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:46:05 AM »
Great idea [:)]

I'm in Scotland, but used to live in Kent, and am happy to come back for a visit.

manigma

• http://www.facebook.com/manigma
UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:02:24 AM »
I visit UK very often and have been to Kent a few times.  I have an open UK Visa for 5 years. So if the dates of retreat suit me I would sure like to join.

idiotegue

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 09:03:21 PM »
Hi all, and thank you for your kinds replies.

The thing is that we're trying to organize our first retreat so any help from more experienced members will be appreciated. [:)]

Hi Shanti,
thank you for the invitation. Btw I do know Tadeas personally, and I know that the retreat last year in CZ was very successful. I also know that they are organizing the other one around the beginning of September. But unfortunately I'm too busy with my dissertation to get back home. But I can ask them, maybe they wouldn't mind to join us here in England :).

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:30:26 PM by idiotegue »

amoux

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »
Just wanted to say, if you're thinking of a venue, depending on numbers I know an excellent place - Hourne Farm, in East Sussex.  I have attended quite a few retreats there over the years (not AYP) - and it is a beautiful location, close to Tunbridge Wells and Crowborough.  Quite a few meditation retreats take place there.

idiotegue

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »
What a nice place Amoux!! Thank you. For how many people is it?

amoux

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »
I'm not sure how many people it can accommodate - at a guess I'd say 30 or thereabouts.  But I think smaller groups can also attend.  The owner is a lovely lady called Vin Rendel (she's an Interfaith minister) - and if you wanted to talk to her, Hourne Farm's phone number is 01892 661093.  Hourne Farm is a non-profit making Charitable Trust for the advancement of education in comparative religion, philosophy and science - Vin's husband, Peter, and she restored the Farm - a real labour of love, and it is a wonderful place for contemplation [:)]

woosa

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »
You can count me in. Please keep me posted!

JECDisciple123

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 05:36:35 AM »
Oh I would love love to attend! So much! X

Wafu

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you all so, so much for the interest you've shown! It's really great to see that more people could potentially join us. The situation so far is this, Idiotegue and I will shortly be making an enquiry into booking costs for the venue that amoux has suggested, which looks very suitable. The location, as he says, is in East Sussex near Tunbidge Wells, would everyone who has epxressed interest so far be agreeable to holding the retreat at this location?

http://www.westernchanfellowship.org/hourne-farm.html

(If anyone finds a better website, please let me know [8D])

It seems to be fairly easily accessible by public transport, there is a train station around two miles away. We'll post the results of our enquiry tomorrow, once we have checked prices and availability [:)]

Love,

Alex

Wafu

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 01:06:04 AM »
Haven't been able to contact by phone so far, gonna keep trying but may not be able to provide estimates today, sorry! We'll keep working on it [:)] Anyone got any suggestions for other potential venues?

Wafu

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 01:58:58 AM »
Hello again friends,

I've had a word with Mrs Rendell of Hourne farm, and she's kindly invited us to come and view her property to see whether it would be suitable. However, she's also told me that the minimum number of people they accommodate for a group booking is 15. I'm aware that the number of interested parties currently falls somewhat short of this, but I'll keep this thread active and if anyone knows of any fellow practitioners who may be free in August for a retreat please do mention this to them.

In the meantime we're going to look into alternative venues, and continue to welcome all of your suggestions.

Thanks all, for your patience [:)]

Love,

Alex

Wafu

UK Retreat 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 05:26:50 AM »
Hello everyone,

I apologise for the massive delay between my last post and this update. Idiotegue and I have been somewhat preoccupied with our respective dissertations recently and the deadlines are approaching quickly!

The current situation is this: I have recently been offered a full time job starting next Monday, from which I am allowed no holiday during the first three months. As we wanted the retreat to last for at least three days, it looks like I'll no longer be able to commit to it. I know Idiotegue is really keen to organise something and may wish to carry on with planning once our academic commitments are taken care of. Any further information regarding the UK retreat will appear here so watch this space [:)]

Best wishes and happy practising,

Alex