Author Topic: Dogs are the best yogis!  (Read 903 times)

machart

Dogs are the best yogis!
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
My dog Pete (12 yr old chocoalte lab) is getting close to his life expectancy and I am really going to miss him so my wife sent me this....it touched something in me so I thought I would share.

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old
Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping  for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the
family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.  Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any
difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why'.

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next
stunned me.  I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right? The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply. Love generously..
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and
nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it.  Pee on it and walk away.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:19:31 AM by machart »

yogibear

Dogs are the best yogis!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »
Hi Machart,

Thanks for your post. My little puppy is such a great teacher. We call him Arnieji. All he wants is to have fun, love and be loved and be a part of the family. Such a great example. No matter what he just keeps wagging his tail. What a blessing dogs are for us humans. They add some magic to a person's or a family's life. Truly man's best friend.

Thanks again, yb.

machart

Dogs are the best yogis!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »
YB...thanks for your reply!

My dog Pete is very Christ-like, hence not a good watchdog....he might bark at an intruder but would lick him forever once he came in...nothing but love in his eyes.  

It's amazing what we can learn from our pets....unconditional LOVE, innocence and acceptance!

Richard

Dogs are the best yogis!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »
Love the post machart its so true [:)]

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Dogs are the best yogis!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:56:47 AM »
I remember having to put down my wife's dog a couple of years ago and I still get a lump in my throat when I think about it, but now I'm not sure why.  Why do I  stay so attached to memories?  I could really stand to learn from the boy in your story Machart.
I have two dogs myself, and I have found them to have the ability to be quite a good mirror for me sometimes.  Yesterday when I came home from work I was in a rush because I had a band coming over within the hour to record, and I wanted to meditate AND take a shower.  I walked in the door and probably didn't even acknowledge my dogs.  But because I was preoccupied, my dogs started to seek attention, which started to make me annoyed, which made me snap at the dogs to leave me alone.  Which triggered a realization in me that I should take a few seconds to reevaluate, pet the dogs, let myself be engulfed in silence and then continue.  As this happened to me last night something switched in myself....it was as if the proverbial light bulb turned on.  There is nothing worth getting upset over...nothing.  As I stood there petting my dogs I could not think of ONE situation which would rightly cause me to be upset.  God has it in his hands still.  This is quite a revelation for me if you have read some of my other postings specifically concerning Daniel Quinn and his Ishmael books...I have had a very hard time letting go of the fact that it sure seems as if human beings are going to extinct themselves, but I let go last night.  I realized by watching my own reactions to my dogs, that God is still here...he hasn't abandoned us(humans).  This is all according to a master plan, and it WILL work out for the best in the end.  If that means the end of humanity as we know it, then that is what is best.  I felt that I could have had the worst news imaginable and I would have been ok with it.  The feeling is still here today, a little less, but it is still here.  I even let go of the fact that I'm not in perfect health right now.  I'm ok with the fact that I have a sinus cold.  It's all part of God's master plan.  Let go and let God.  Or should I say let go and let Dog....[;)]

Love,
Carson

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
Dogs are the best yogis!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:21:32 AM »
Hi Machart

Thanks for that beautiful post....it made me cry.

I brought up two dogs....Scottie and Trolle (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers)......and it was such a joy! It was so great for the children...to grow up with the dogs. Both the love and the responsibility. Scottie would tilt his head when I spoke to him...listening intently (understanding too)....he worked out all the habits within the house and the neighbourhood...was the calmest dog ever without being dull in the slightest.....and would sit in the window watching me come home...no matter how long I had been gone. It was as if he knew when I was coming. He would not eat his dinner until all 4 of us was home. And he was my best pal after the cancer operation....I cried into his fur many a time.  He just sat there...quietly just offered his space. He died at home.....and we grieved him terribly.
The other one - Trolle -  was a "rascal" from the start [:D]. He would pick a fight with any male dog threatening his status. But his JOY.....is unbelievable. He is such a happy dog!   I only stayed home with him for 7 weeks - I was working full time after that. He also sits in the window [:)]...and my ex husband is his favorite human being[:D]

Scottie would come and lie by the piano while I played and sang...and he would sit up and look, and look , and look....[:D].... when I was playing the flute. Sometimes - when he found that there was too much TV watching in the house....*laughing*....he would come and place himself right in front of the TV so that noone could see anything but him....and he would sit there and stare us down.......he would not move ......*laughing*....I thought it was just great ! (Since I tried for years to haul people away from the TV [:D]). I loved to watch my children play with the dogs...they never tired of it (the dogs, I mean :-)

And Trolle......whenever I meditated...he would come and lie by my feet. He just loved it [:D] You could hear him "think"...(you know, he would give this deep dog sigh)....."finally getting some peace here"......he knew that nothing would happen for at least 20 min [:)]

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
Dogs are the best yogis!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 04:25:09 AM »
Hi Carson

quote:
I have had a very hard time letting go of the fact that it sure seems as if human beings are going to extinct themselves, but I let go last night. I realized by watching my own reactions to my dogs, that God is still here...he hasn't abandoned us(humans).

This made me cry too.....[:)]
Carson - whenever you forget....please come back to this post of yours, promise?
That is a really profound shift in you.......how wonderful [:)]

Such a release....

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Dogs are the best yogis!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 04:58:19 AM »
Thanks Katrine,

You are right, it really IS a profound shift for me.  I feel different now.  I feel unshakeable.  I hope it persists.  

It truely is a blessing to feel at peace despite the conflict all around.  To be able to feel love for someone you would normally not be albe to be around.  To take everything in stride, to embrace everything, good and bad.  This is the REAL benefits of meditative practices.  I was happy before just getting off of methadone, and had even at some points intentions of only taking this as far as that.  Use meditation as a tool to free myself of an addiction, and then continue on living my life as I would.  But this isn't possible for me anymore.  I would not give up my practices for my life now.  I woke up today, still sick with a head cold, and still withdrawing from methadone (albiet minorly) but I woke up smiling and alive, and happy to greet the world even if it hates me.  Unshakeable peace.  Unbelievable.  I NEVER thought this was possible, yet here I am.  I want to thank everything but know that words cannot describe the love I feel for all.  I want to jump up and down and sing on the top of my lungs that I AM AT PEACE WITH IT ALL!  For me, this is a complete 180.  I feel so grateful and I hope that somehow I can give something back that means as much as this does to me right now.

Love,
Carson[^]