Author Topic: What to wear?  (Read 895 times)

Lauren_Yoga

What to wear?
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:12:01 AM »
Dear Yogis,

I've recently started to practice yoga and am loving every moment of it. I was just wondering what you all wear to practice? I myself am a woman and as a child I used to dance quite a bit so I need materials that can stretch, and that I can sweat it without having to worry about looking like I've just taken a shower hahah! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Lauren

BillinL.A.

What to wear?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:18:45 AM »
I'd of never asked your question without your lead Lauren so thanks for bring it up.[:I]

But as a guy ready to get into yoga classes is gym-like loose fitting shorts good for hatha stuff too?  I perspire tons even though I workout 25 days a month and wonder if I should cover the yoga mats I see people use with a beach towel?  Are shirts optional for guys cuz otherwise I'll for sure look like what Lauren fears: like I just took a shower.[xx(]

lalow33

What to wear?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:35:47 AM »
Lauren, I've been practicing for a while; I use to wear cute clothes.  Now, I don't care.  At class, I have a male teacher and a lot of men in the class, so I try not to wear anything low cut.  Usually, a not too big t-shirt and I tuck it in.  Sometimes sweat pants and sometimes yoga pants.  I take a hand towel with me.  At home, if what I'm already wearing is comfy, I don't change.  Home practices is gentle, Kripalu style yoga.

Bill,  Here in IN I've only seen my teacher take his shirt off.  All the other guys wear tighter fitting tees or tanks and gym type shorts.  But if you don't want to wear a top, then don't.  I can't imagine anyone caring.

nookslist

What to wear?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:30:42 PM »
I prefer to wear yoga pants and feel more relaxing and comfortable in this clothing..

winovy

What to wear?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »
Tight fitting clothes that match the body's profile work best for a few reasons.  They help the instructor note proper alignment of the body while in poses.  They do not get bunched up causing uncomfortable pressure or circulation / flexibility issues.  During inversions they do not fall over the face obscuring vision and causing distraction.  Also, some poses require an alignment that uses your own body as a prop and loose fitting clothing will slide and push you off balance.  I notice women typically seem to wear stretch-type pants and a sports top, sometimes worn under a t-shirt.  Over that usually a  body wrap or sari style dress as a cover while travelling to and from the studio.  Men (me) find athletic shorts underlined with spandex or bike shorts comfortable.  The underlining works best for limiting unintended exposure during certain poses.  Then a simple t-shirt is okay, which I just tuck in before inversions.  Lastly, putting anything over your yoga mat can cause loose footing with the possibility of your stable platform giving way in the pose, which may lead to injury, sprain, strain, or overwork of the muscles while in asana.