Author Topic: The Trinity  (Read 946 times)

tonightsthenight

The Trinity
« on: October 10, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
AYP forum members come from all kinds of backgrounds.

I'm looking for a little illumination regarding the concept of the triune or trinity, regardless of origin.

I'm familiar with the trinity through the christian tradition, probably like many other members here.

There is also a trinity in hinduism, and i'm sure other examples as well.

But what is does the trinity symbolize?  

And more importantly, how does the concept apply to non-duality?

Please help to understand this important idea! [:D]

JDH

The Trinity
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
Hi tonightsthenight,

From the christian background.  With a reading of AYP, and of the gospel of Matthew.

God - the void, pure being, that thing that doesn't have words for it, whatever you want to call it.

Jesus - god's son, us, humans, "made in the image of god", the reflection of god, our minds, bodies, experiences, egos, the world, the universe, life force.

The Holy Spirit - Kundalini, energy transformation, meditation, bliss, ecstacy, love, man's experience of the divine within him/herself.

manigma

• http://www.facebook.com/manigma
The Trinity
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight
And more importantly, how does the concept apply to non-duality?

Here is the Vedantic concept which might be of help:

IN THE SEVENTH STAGE, THE STATE OF VIDEHAMUKTI (LIBERATION WHILE LIVING IN THE BODY) IS ACHIEVED.
THIS STAGE IS TOTALLY SILENT AND CANNOT BE COMMUNICATED IN WORDS.
IT IS THE END OF ALL STAGES, WHERE ALL THE PROCESSES OF YOGA COME TO THEIR CONCLUSION.
IN THIS STAGE, ALL ACTIVITIES -- WORLDLY, BODILY AND SCRIPTURAL -- CEASE.
THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IN THE FORM OF THE WORLD -- VISWA, INTELLIGENCE -- PRAJNA, AND RADIANCE -- TEJAS, IS JUST AUM.
THERE IS NO DIVISION HERE BETWEEN SPEECH AND THE SPEAKER.
IF HOWEVER ANY SUCH DIVISION REMAINS, THE STATE HAS NOT BEEN ATTAINED.

THE FIRST SOUND 'A' OF AUM, STANDS FOR THE WORLD,
THE SECOND 'U' FOR RADIANCE AND THE THIRD 'M' FOR INTELLIGENCE.
BEFORE ENTERING SAMADHI, THE SEEKER SHOULD CONTEMPLATE ON AUM MOST STRENUOUSLY, AND SUBSEQUENTLY HE SHOULD SURRENDER EVERYTHING, FROM GROSS TO SUBTLE TO THE CONSCIOUS SELF.
TAKING THE CONSCIOUS SELF AS HIS OWN SELF, HE SHOULD CONSOLIDATE THIS FEELING: I AM ETERNAL, PURE, ENLIGHTENED, FREE, EXISTENTIAL, INCOMPARABLE, THE MOST BLISSFUL VASUDEVA AND PRANAVA HIMSELF.
SINCE THE WHOLE VISIBLE WORLD COMPRISING A BEGINNING, A MIDDLE AND AN END, IS SORROW-STRICKEN, HE MUST RENOUNCE EVERYTHING AND MERGE INTO THE SUPREME.
HE SHOULD FEEL THAT HE IS BLISSFUL,
TAINTLESS, WITHOUT IGNORANCE, WITHOUT APPEARANCE, INEXPRESSIBLE IN WORDS, AND THAT HE IS BRAHMAN, THE ESSENCE OF KNOWLEDGE.
THIS IS THE UPANISHADIC MYSTERY.

THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IN THE FORM OF THE WORLD -- VISWA, INTELLIGENCE -- PRAJNA, AND RADIANCE -- TEJAS, IS JUST AUM.
Aum consists of three sounds: a, u, m. These three sounds are the basic sounds, all the sounds are created out of them. All the languages, all the words, are created out of these three sounds: a, u, m. These are the basic root sounds.

Hindus say that aum is the sound of existence, and then it divides in three: a, u, m, and then the three become many. From one, three; from three, many and millions. Now even science agrees that there is only one energy in existence; that one energy is divided in three. You may call it electron, proton and neutron; you may call it a, u, m; you may call it the Christian trinity: God, the Son, the Holy Spirit; you may call it the Hindu trimurti: Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu -- whatsoever the name, the name is irrelevant, but one thing is certain: one becomes three, and then three becomes many. And if you want to move backwards to the one, move from the many to three and then let the three combine -- it will become one.

Aum is a way, it is a mantra, a path, to combine all the sounds in three, to first reduce all the sounds to three -- and then aum becomes the door for the one.

If you enter deeper meditation soon you will realize that a sound is continuously happening there. It is the sound of existence itself, the humming sound of existence itself. And if you listen without interpreting it, if you don't force any interpretation on it, if you simply listen and watch and observe, sooner or later you will realize it is aum vibrating inside.

http://www.oshoworld.com/e-books/search.asp?search=vedanta&select_search=search_title

It is. Always.

[:D]

tonightsthenight

The Trinity
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:00:42 AM »
Thank you guys,

JDH, thanks for the answer.  [:p]
I don't know though, something seems off about it... [?]
I feel like it's too simplistic and inclusive maybe.  How does this notion fit into non-duality?

I don't have time to go through your post manigma but i will later [:D]

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming!
[8D]

JDH

The Trinity
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:36:41 AM »
quote:
Hindus say that aum is the sound of existence, and then it divides in three: a, u, m, and then the three become many. From one, three; from three, many and millions. Now even science agrees that there is only one energy in existence; that one energy is divided in three. You may call it electron, proton and neutron; you may call it a, u, m; you may call it the Christian trinity: God, the Son, the Holy Spirit; you may call it the Hindu trimurti: Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu -- whatsoever the name, the name is irrelevant, but one thing is certain: one becomes three, and then three becomes many. And if you want to move backwards to the one, move from the many to three and then let the three combine -- it will become one.

Manigma's response answers your second question well.

The most fundamental difference is between nothing, and something.  0 and 1.  These two alone do not form the basis for math though.  Division is missing.  Add in a third element, and voila, there is the basis for the entire real number line, which then springs forth as the basis for everything else.  The third element must be different from nothing, and different from something.  Combing 0 and 1 gives 1.  Combining 0 and 0 gives 0.  But combining 1 and 1 gives 2.  It is something, yes, but it is different from the original something.  It is division in its most basic form.  From the nothing, one.  From the one, many.  The many grows into infinite dimensions of infinity.  As it turns out, the first two elements, 0 and 1, are a tiny subset of this whole multidimensional reality that is born out of them.  They are contained within it - that is non-duality.

JDH

The Trinity
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:32:49 AM »
After writing the above, I have been reading a little more about the concept of zero which historically first appeared in ................ India, 7th century AD.

quote:
The rules governing the use of zero appeared for the first time in Brahmagupta's book Brahmasputha Siddhanta (The Opening of the Universe),[24]  written in 628 AD. Here Brahmagupta considers not only zero, but negative numbers, and the algebraic rules for the elementary operations of arithmetic with such numbers. In some instances, his rules differ from the modern standard. Here are the rules of Brahmagupta:[24]

Although it was used earlier as a placeholder without its full modern functionality as a something that is nothing.  I find the name of the book quite interesting, "The Opening of the Universe."  Seems that Brahmagupta realized the implications of the writing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:43:29 AM by JDH »

manigma

The Trinity
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:25 PM »
It reminds me of this free fan mix of 'Zeroes and Ones will take us there'
http://balbro.com/zerone

In real time before your eyes
Slip between realities
There's more to this than anything that you or I can see
The world is mine, the world is yours and here's the cause
Zeroes and ones will take us there.

tonightsthenight

The Trinity
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:42:37 AM »
Wow, interesting notion JDH.

I would expect to see evidence of the trinity and the duality/non-duality paradox in mathematics.  Very interesting: 0,1 & 1+1....

So if we apply this to duality: we have the two poles, positive and negative, muladhara and sahasrara... and the relationship between these two creates something new: us.  Hmmmmmmm.  Father Mother Son makes sense here too.

And yet I still don't get it!  I really need to live this mystery to understand it, of course.  Intellectual understanding by itself is nothing [:p]

cosmic

The Trinity
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:34:41 AM »
Hi TTN and all  [:)]

Tao Te Ching (42) says this:

quote:
The Tao give birth to One
One gives birth to Two
Two gives birth to Three
Three give birth to all things (lit. "The Ten Thousand things")

I don't understand this quote, but it seems relevant. Maybe someone who groks TTC can illuminate....

manigma

The Trinity
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

It reminds me of this free fan mix of 'Zeroes and Ones will take us there'

In real time before your eyes
Slip between realities
There's more to this than anything that you or I can see
The world is mine, the world is yours and here's the cause
Zeroes and ones will take us there.

Nobody noticed the THREE surfers on ONE wave in that pic?

[:(]

tonightsthenight

The Trinity
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 04:06:54 AM »
[8D]