Author Topic: Finding the time, when, where to practice?  (Read 670 times)

11jono11

Finding the time, when, where to practice?
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:45 AM »
Hello, I have recently started my 3rd year of training (Psych nurse), I have been placed on a ward so the work is in shifts, 7-3, 1.30-9.30pm and 9.30pm-7.30am. As well as this I have to spend a significant amount of time writing essays etc. If I am to practice in the morning I have to get up at 5.45am sometimes having only got back from work at 10/- in bed around 11/12. I think for the time being I might find myself having to practice at work, either in the morning for earlys and evening for lates. I get 30mins break (could maybe stretch it to 35, maybe) I was thinking 1min, standing asanas,- 9 mins Pranayama, 2 mins Yoni Mudra, 15 Deep meditation, 3 mins rest, and depending on morning or evening, doing 5 mins deep meditation in the morning or evening at home either before or after work to make up for it.

Does that sound about right? Or should I just get up earlier/go to bed later, sleep less?

If I didn't have anything happening outside of work this is what I would do but I like to see/talk to friends etc.

Any advice would be appreciated

Love and light

x

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:06:14 AM »
Hi Jono:

Sounds good.

You might find this lesson on time management helpful:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/209.html

It is your call, of course. It will work out all right as we "honor the habit" with whatever time we have each day, no matter how little.

All the best!  

The guru is in you.

11jono11

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »
Thanks Yogani, ideally I'd love to work 9-5 but if practicing a tad less at work occasionally is ok then that helps the practical side of life. Perhaps I could arrange a 35-40 minute break if I worked extra hard afterwards.

Thank you

God bless

Om Shanti

Parallax

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:39:21 AM »
Hi Jono,

I've had to work at fitting in spiritual practices with a relatively demanding job and a young family. I'm currently getting up at between 4-5am for my morning session (great way to start the day!!!) and then I eat lunch at my desk and sneak out to my car in the afternoon for my 2nd session. But I've had to get creative at times to get in my sitting practices...i've meditated in bathroom stalls, in a parking lot behind a dumpster, on airplanes, in the back of cabs, sitting next to a crib waiting for the baby to go to sleep. It's not always perfect, but as the old saying goes "where's the will, there's a way". And if circumstances force me to miss a session,  I don't sweat it, I figure it's Inner Silence's way of helping me self pace :-)

Good luck to you!!!