Author Topic: What is "grounding"?  (Read 927 times)

bewell

What is "grounding"?
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:37 AM »
In the past, I thought of the need for grounding as the need for doing some physical exercise like taking a walk or eating heavier foods.  A scan of the Main Lessons shows the use of that definition.  But there is a closely related idea of "remaining steady in the event of 'fireworks."

I found that related idea here, as Yogani addresses a question about what to do with "overwhelming bliss associated with a kundalini awakening."  Yogani writes:

"Make sure to get plenty of grounding activity in general. Also, having more abiding inner silence certainly helps a practitioner to remain steady in the event of 'fireworks.' This is why we begin first with deep meditation in AYP."

Deep Meditation might not be what we think of as offering "grounding," but "abiding inner silence" does help with "keeping steady."

Would others of you like to share about what "grounding" means to you, especially in relation to Deep Meditation?

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
What is "grounding"?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »
I don't think DM helps with grounding at all. But it helps with inner silence, which helps you remain steady.
Grounding is activities that connect you with the earth. So exercise, working with plants, digging in the dirt,
playing in the dirt, burying yourself in the sand, swimming in the ocean, sitting by a campfire, dancing, martial arts, gymnastics are all grounding.

Asanas are different than exercise, because they can be grounding if you are doing stuff you easily do all the time. But if you are pushing your limits with stretches, backbends, splits, contortion type stuff it can release stored emotional energy and not be grounding at all.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
What is "grounding"?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:24:51 AM »
Hi bewell [:)]

To me, to be grounded is to be in the body.  When ecstasy flows strongly there can be a tendency for the awareness to leave the body.  So, to me, grounding is whatever activity that causes the awareness to be stabilized in the body.  Just one perspective.

Love!
[^]

bewell

What is "grounding"?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
So, to me, grounding is whatever activity that causes the awareness to be stabilized in the body.  

One of my main grounding activities is eating, and eating in large enough amounts that it makes my belly feel "full" even to the point of a little discomfort -- thus bringing my awareness to my physical body.

This morning I felt a desire to fast, that is, to abstain from my usual "grounding" activity.  My intention is to see if I can stay stable with K energy without eating, but with an intention to stay in witness consciousness.

I am feeling a difference now as I write this rather than eat breakfast.  My mind is very alert.  My body has no areas of discomfort, and is full of stable K energy.  The distance between thinking of moving my body, and moving my body feels reduced, like there is a "hair trigger."  I feel a pleasant "lightness of air" but not to the extent of loosing touch with my physical body.
It feels "ecstatic" -- lots of blissful witness.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:16:23 AM by bewell »

bewell

What is "grounding"?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:13:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bewell
This morning I felt a desire to fast, that is, to abstain from my usual "grounding" activity.  My intention is to see if I can stay stable with K energy without eating, but with an intention to stay in witness consciousness.

After a fast from Monday night to this morning (Wednesday), I had my usual large oatmeal/apple/flax seed/yogurt/honey/raisin breakfast.  I am feeling "grounded" in the usual way -- by eating.

My experiment yesterday was aimed at stying stable in relation to K. energy through witness consciousness rather than my usual grounding activity, eating.

It was a success.  Judging by how it appeared to me, and how others seemed responded, I would say I was  exceptionally, or at least very consistently present in the present during my activities of the day.  There was a lightness of air suffusing my activities, but without loosing touch with my physicality.  It was one of those days of stable ecstatic bliss where I often found myself letting go of the obviously overblown generalization: "This is the best day of my life: It is like a veil has been lifted."

I am inclined to make Tuesdays fast days for a while.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:20:40 AM by bewell »

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
What is "grounding"?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:23:38 AM »

bewell

What is "grounding"?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

All the Best tips:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/69.html

Thanks Ananda.  The whole of lesson 69 lesson is helpful. In terms of grounding specifically, here is a good paragraph:

"...activities that are "grounding" can be helpful. Taking long daily walks with a relaxed mind is one of the best therapies for smoothing out surging kundalini energies. Tai chi, practiced regularly, is very grounding also. Yoga asanas (postures), which we will get into in the next few lessons, can help. Physical exercise in general is good for grounding the energies. A heavier diet during periods of excessive kundalini energies can help ground them. Grounding activities do not do away with kundalini. Rather, they bring in the Shiva component that helps integrate the kundalini energy into our nervous system. Such activities are good to do in addition to spinal breathing, meditation and other advanced yoga practices."

I am particularly into long walks with a relaxed state of mind.  It is not to get rid of K but to stay stable, to bring the quiet, stillness to every cell of the body, mythically speaking, the Shiva component -- stillness in action.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:16:56 PM by bewell »

bewell

What is "grounding"?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:05:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
To me, to be grounded is to be in the body.  When ecstasy flows strongly there can be a tendency for the awareness to leave the body.  So, to me, grounding is whatever activity that causes the awareness to be stabilized in the body.  
[^]

I found this teaching of the Siddhartha Gautama.  It reminds me of what CarsonZi said.

Destination

I will teach the destination and the path leading to the destination. Listen to what I say.

What is the destination? The eradication of infatuation, the eradication of hostility, and the eradication of delusion is what is called the destination.

And what is the path leading to the destination?  Present-moment awareness directed toward the body.  This awareness is what is called the path leading to the destination.  In this way, I have taught to you the destination and the path leading to the destination. That which should be done out of compassion by a caring teacher who desires the welfare of his students, I have done for you.

There are secluded places. Meditate, do not be negligent!  Don't have regrets later! This is my instruction to you.

-- Parayana Sutta; Samyuttanikaya 4.43.44

http://www.glennwallis.com/files/Gautama_vs_the_Buddha.pdf
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:07:26 AM by bewell »

bewell

What is "grounding"?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:21 AM »
Carson said:

"So, to me, grounding is whatever activity that causes the awareness to be stabilized in the body."  

Siddhartha Gautama said:

"And what is the path leading to the destination?  Present-moment awareness directed toward the body."  

Key words:  

"awareness"

"body"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:49:00 AM by bewell »

bewell

What is "grounding"?
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 04:12:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish
...burying yourself in the sand...

I need to try that sometime!  I like imagining it.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
What is "grounding"?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:51:12 AM »
Hey Bewell, Brother [:D]

quote:
Originally posted by bewell

Key words:  
"awareness"
"body"

Yup....that's essentially it (from the perspective here).  Knowing your Self to be more then the just the body, yet being fully in the body, is (to me) an example of the balance between "inner" and "outer."

Love!
[^]