Author Topic: Heart Palpitations/Anxiety  (Read 2213 times)

Sheila

Heart Palpitations/Anxiety
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 05:02:17 AM »
Greetings to everyone on this forum and my gratitude for any advice/input you can offer.

I started AYP about 6 weeks ago, adding elements as I went along so that I now do meditation & pranayama in siddhasana.  I also started a mantra enhancement to Shree Shree I Am a couple of weeks ago only because with the previous I Am, I found it impossible not to concentrate on my breath while meditating.

Late last week, I started feeling palpitations during meditation although I feel very calm and quiet. These have persisted.  The EKG earlier this week was fine. Not menopausal either.

I understand my practices need to be tempered and moderated, and I thank Yogani/forum for this constant reminder. Is there anything else I should do? My other problem is that I am not an emotionally expressive person (I find it very difficult to cry), so to the extent this may be a heart chakra issue (I may be jumping ahead of myself here), I expect there would be very severe obstructions because of my emotional stoicism, plus I have my share of negative traits. I am writing in this forum because I have heard horror stories about kundalini obstructions and am somewhat concerned.

Thank you all.  

Richard

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 06:16:43 AM »
Hi Sheila

Well you certainly move fast maybe too fast that could be the problem, the palpitations are almost certainly down to overdoing things and going over the top with energy,  meditation + Pranayama in Siddhasana in just 6 weeks wow!!!

Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the practices on this site they are very powerful and overload symptoms can have a delayed effect I strongly suggest that you cut back on your practices.

Maybe just do spinal breathing and meditation for a while and see if the palpitations disappear and if they don't cut back on the time of your spinal breathing first and then perhaps even the meditation.

When the palpitations stop then gradually start introducing practices again one at the time and give them time to settle in before you add more.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:22:07 AM by Richard »

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 06:22:48 AM »
Hi Sheila,
I would say the same as Richard, but I think you alluded to that fact that you already know this, so I would also add this which was posted originally by Jim and his Karma in this thread here: http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=836&whichpage=2#3880

The part I think you should focus on in that posting is this section:

"Here's what you ought to shoot for as a bare minimum. Chest opening. That's what it all boils down to. the Iyengar system has developed "restorative" ways of doing asanas that are passive and require no energy, but there are ways to use blocks and bolsters (big pillows) and blankets to put your body in the position where the energy can flow, open up your chest, and that's exactly what you need. I learned it in classes, so I haven't used a book for this, but I just looked around Amazon and this looks like a great guide: "Relax and Renew" by Judith Lasater. I hope you'll buy it. You'll need to spend some money to buy a bolster and stuff (if money's a problem, email me and I'll chip in some). But if you'll get into restorative yoga, mostly chest openings, you'll have huge results, I can honestly promise you. At very very least, it's something you absolutely will be ok doing during all but the most severe depressions.

Here's the basic chest opener, to get you started (Victor, correct me if I get this wrong, ok?). Take a yoga block (never buy the plastic ones, which won't support your weight....must be made from wood) and place it on end on the floor. Lay down on your back on top of the brick with the brick just below shoulder blades (with the narrowest edge facing your neck). Try to relax everything. Breathe. Move the brick very slighly up and down every few minutes.

Actually, that's an extreme one. You may perceive it to be painful (it's not really pain...it's energy hitting blockages...and it goes away pretty fast). But it's a cure for what you've got. There are gentler versions of this in the book, where you use softer, lower things like blankets and bolsters."

I don't 100% know for sure that this will fix the problem, but I have an inclination to suggest it so I am.  Hope this helps.  If it doesn't, PLEASE consider self pacing a bit more like Richard suggest.  All the best Sheila.

In Love,
CarsonZi
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:39:46 AM by CarsonZi »

Sheila

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 07:32:23 AM »
Richard & CarsonZi - Thank you so much for your feedback.  I understand I HAVE to slow down and now understand the constant reminders about self pacing. Because the results are delayed, and I felt no effects initially, I did not even realize I was going fast, I figured I was "adjusting" (my ego of course).

CarsonZi - thank you for your very helpful suggestions; i will buy the book and props for restorative yoga. You are a generous soul (how kind of you to offer resources to a complete stranger) and I should learn from you.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »
Sheila,

Just to clarify, everything in green above was originally posted by Jim and his Karma.  I didn't add anything, not even the stuff in parenthesis.  I am definitely willing to help you in any way I can, even financially if necessary, I just wanted you know to that is wasn't me who originally posted the offer, it was Jim.  I am willing to make the same offer as Jim though, so feel free to let me know if you need any help in finding the book or block.  Glad to help in any way I can.

In Love,
CarsonZi
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:53:48 AM by CarsonZi »

Yogajan

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:53 AM »
Hi Sheila,
I started this post a while ago when I was having heart palpitations.  With some self-pacing and alot of walking as well as some changes to my diet, my heart palpitations were short lived.  I also think the spinal pranayama helped the congestion I felt in my heart and throat area.  I have really appreciated the emphasis on the practices and not focusing on the under the hood processes.  For me, trying to open an area only produced more struggle rather than inner stillness.  Through the inner stillness, their is an allowing which seems to open me much better than I can.  Best to you, Jan

Emil

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »
Hi Yogijan,
I might be totally off on this but if the issue is menopause related some ayurvedic herbs might help.

Check this URL and search the catalog for menopause:
http://www.maharishi.co.uk/acatalog/

Hope it helps.
Emil

Yogajan

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »
Thank Emil.  
I had an ayurvedic consult and have been taking some herbs along with a diet geared to balancing my doshas.  They have helped immensely.  Greatly appreciate the suggestion.
Best,
Jan

Sheila

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »
Yogajan, I did some self pacing and it was also a medical issue, which is being treated. thank you for your post.