Author Topic: flies!  (Read 2548 times)

nirmal

flies!
« on: May 15, 2011, 02:35:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

I really hate taking up your time with something so trivial, but I'd like some advice. O.K., we are all one. Everything on this planet is made up of the same thing. Well, pray tell what is the solution to annoying flies??? I am so tempted to swat them, but I´m not! Help!

[:D]nirmal

jeff

flies!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »
[:)]

Be thankful that they are not mosquitoes.

kevincann

flies!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by nirmal

Hi everyone,

I really hate taking up your time with something so trivial, but I'd like some advice. O.K., we are all one. Everything on this planet is made up of the same thing. Well, pray tell what is the solution to annoying flies??? I am so tempted to swat them, but I´m not! Help!

[:D]nirmal

If a hungry lioness, needing food for her cubs, killed you and drug you back to her babies, would she be committing a sin?

Only man makes things difficult.

Actions springing from a conditioned mind, cannot be right.

Do you have an answer?

I love you,

Kevin Cann

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
flies!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 05:08:52 AM »
If you insist on not swatting them, try to change your perception so that you love having them there, and enjoy having them land on you. I'm not joking.

maheswari

flies!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
why slap them? just use some repellent...citrus ...it works for flies AND  mosquitos...
once a lebanese devotee was with Swami Chidananda...there was a mosquito sucking Swamiji blood...the devotee wanted to kill the mosquito...Swamiji said: let the mosquito feed on that body.[:)]

manigma

• http://www.facebook.com/manigma
flies!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
quote:
Well, pray tell what is the solution to annoying flies??? I am so tempted to swat them, but I´m not! Help!

How about swatting a bigger fly... your mind.

[:D]

nirmal

flies!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »
Hi everyone,
I love your answers! I had my mind made up for me. You know Yogani has said only two things could interrupt his meditation: someone who yells "fire!" and the other, "Your Mother in law is here!" Well, I have another one: pesky flies buzzing around my head and landing on my arms.(I really hate that)(this includes mosquitos too!)

I even put a piece of light plastic over my head(you would have cracked up if you had seen me, or send for the men in with white coats!

So, that didn´t work. I killed two of them and boy did it feel good! I guess I'm a murderer now![:o)]

[:)]nirmal

mathurs

flies!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
This is hearsay and applies for outdoors - but if you fill a clear plastic bag with water, tie it and  then just attach it around in the garden - say the fence  or trees then it stops flies coming due to the way the plastic reflects the light... I have seen it used in outdoor restaurants in India....

whippoorwill

flies!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:01 PM »
Hi Nirmal!  Can you get your hands on some Deep Woods OFF?  Or some other form of bug repellent?  Or you could get one of those great big hats with a wide brim and drape some tule or mosquito netting over it -- your own personal meditation tent.  [:D]

nirmal

flies!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Well, I've tried ignoring them,(using my mind!) and that only helps to a certain extent. Don't really want to walk around all day smelling like citrus and I live in Germany=no off. I don't think they have anything like that but I'll check it out. I do want to stay environmentally friendly though.

My only answer is to try to get along with them, but if they go extreme,Swat!

Also, my husband is rigging together screens for the windows!!! In Germany,there are no screens on windows. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Thanks for all of your help!

[:o)]nirmal

manigma

flies!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »
quote:
Well, I've tried ignoring them,(using my mind!) and that only helps to a certain extent.

Mind itself is the biggest fly. It keeps moving from one object to another and buzzing all the time.

Do not use it... instead, swat it!

Learn to detach yourself from the mind and be yourself.

Then let alone flies... even if spiders, scorpions and snakes cover your body, you will love them instead of being annoyed.

nirmal

flies!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
Manigma,

Do you know how to detach yourself from the mind and just be yourself? I would love to know how to do this.

manigma

flies!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »
quote:

Manigma,

Do you know how to detach yourself from the mind and just be yourself? I would love to know how to do this.

There is an incident in the life of Buddha from when he was still only a seeker. He was passing through a village with a companion. They were both talking when a fly sat on Buddha's neck. He was in the midst of discussion when he lifted his hand to drive the fly away. It flew away -- but Buddha stopped suddenly. "I have committed a serious error," Buddha told his companion. Then he lifted his hand again in the act of driving away the fly.

The fellow seeker exclaimed in surprise, "What is this you are doing? The fly is no longer there."

Buddha replied, "Now I am driving the fly away as I should have. Now I am fully aware of what I am doing. Now as the hand lifts, I am fully aware that it is being lifted and that it is going in the direction of my neck to drive the fly away. That time I was talking to you; hence my action was mechanical."

If we begin to do all our physical acts with full awareness, if you lift your hand upward with full attention you will feel yourself apart from the hand -- because the one who lifts is different from that which is lifted.

In Search of the Miraculous vol.2
http://www.oshoworld.com/e-books/search.asp?search=In+Search+of+the+Miraculous&select_search=search_title

So next time you meet a fly, just be fully aware of its presence.  Observe it, observe yourself, observe the rising of annoyance that the fly may cause in you.

And if you wish to swat it, then watch your hand and be aware of your action.

Do not try to swat the fly... instead, let the hand swat the fly on its own.

Let us know how it goes.

whippoorwill

flies!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 12:41:18 AM »
Hi Nirmal!  Yeah... OFF is nasty stuff anyway.  I lived in Germany for a year when I was 16  (Congress-Bundestag foreign exchange), and I remember those windows.  I thought they were marvelous, but yeah... no screens.  And in the summer, we were covered with bug bites.  The bugs aren't as many where there's a good breeze....

Hi Manigma!  What's the difference between getting a comfortable seat and getting comfortable bug-wise?  They seem like the same sort of process to me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:45:25 AM by whippoorwill »

nirmal

flies!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:25:43 AM »
Hi manigma,

Your words reveal wisdom to me. Thanks for the Buddha story. Right now there is a fly on my computer monitor!

I will give it a try as you say with complete awareness. And I have always thought I was a very aware person.

Thanks for the oshoworld link.

Hi lizmoran!