Author Topic: Vegetarian or non-Vegetarian  (Read 12028 times)

maheswari

Vegetarian or non-Vegetarian
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
vegetarian diet is very helpful for yoga practices...even Ramana Mahrashi insisted on it...
but i agree with Carson's quote:"From my perspective, karma is created by self-judgments. When we do something, even inspite our internal inclination to judge it as "wrong," we incur negative karma. But if we lose the self-judgment around the action (and I mean REALLY lose the self-judgment not just "trick" ourselves into THINKING we have lost the self-judgment) and just act according to our inclination, we do not incur karma...positive OR negative. "
just do what you are intuitively  inclined to do and totally and i mean totally forget about it...

HathaTeacher

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »
Hi Christi, Amoux, and Manigma,
I eat vegetarian since the 1970's and I agree it's good for the ability to feel (not just understand verbally) that we're not isolated from the fate of other living beings. That said, I agree with Yogani on self pacing (Ahimsa toward oneself, avoidance of brute force, just like in other practices); reasonable steps with permanent results are usually faster than a shaky roller-coaster ride (that's similar to quitting other types of addiction). The change of mindset is just as important as the change in habits.

However, the pacing shall not blur the final aim. A yoga diet is vegetarian & mostly vegan (according to B.K.S. Iyengar, Sivananda,  Satyananda, Jivamukti Yoga, and a many other schools). There was a dscussion in another thread here about the pros and cons of garlic, leek, and onion; IMO a negligible issue compared to meat.

In a media society, it's all about whom you let run the show of your own life: An unconscious "floating downstream", architected by  shopping-mall ads & grandma's cookery book, or your own, active, thought-through choice. It's clever to look inward and examine how much of reluctance toward veg food comes from the hazy, a bit embarrassing, feeling of "dropping out" from the mainstream society. IMO that's where it's at; most people don't disagree fundamentally with the 10 commandments or with Yamas & Niyamas, but they still lose their way from time to time. That's why it's clever to remind ourselves where we're going.    
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:00:11 AM by HathaTeacher »

maheswari

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2011, 05:25:32 PM »
dear hathateacher
2 things to point out:
1-" A yoga diet is vegetarian & mostly vegan (according to B.K.S. Iyengar, Sivananda, Satyananda,"
i dont know about B.K.S. Iyengar.....but Sivanada and Satyananda promoted a lacto vegeterian diet NOT vegan... milk and yogurt is served in their ashrams...
2-"the pros and cons of garlic, leek, and onion; IMO a negligible issue compared to meat"
that is true negligible to the bad effect of meat...but still it is much harder to meditate when one has eaten garlic and onions...so better eat them very very moderately ...like one shell of onion and a tiny bit of garlic..lol..[:D]

HathaTeacher

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
Thanks for the correction Maheshwari!
I should have written lactoveg. instead of just veg., about both myself and yoga food (it's the same in Iyengar's Light on Yoga too). By "Mostly vegan" I meant that at ashrams, the lacto ingredients are served in small quantities or dilluted in Lassi, dressings etc. - a little more than what you propose for garlic[:D]
I must admit that garlic-free ashram weeks haven't cured my addiction. A long-term garlic-marinated[:)] brain notices little difference during meditations there. Some kundalini yoga schools and some zen centers allow garlic and onion, maybe an addict like me shall give one of those a try?[:D]  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:22:10 PM by HathaTeacher »

amoux

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »
Garlic and onions both eaten here, with immense enjoyment [:D]  I'm pretty convinced I'm an addict to them too!

HathaTeacher

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »
Thanx Amoux, you saved my day [:D]

maheswari

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
hathateacher ...dont we all have  our little 'addictionS"?[:D]...i like caffe lattes[:D][:D]
do u know any zen schoOls that offers lattes??...[:D][:D]

HathaTeacher

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

...any zen schools that offers lattes??...[:D]

Sorry Maheshwari I've no idea. Drank my last coffee as a student, before an exam, which was decades ago...[:D] For some reason, the addictive tendencies[:D] cluster around garlic, onion, and red peppers.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2011, 06:16:05 AM »
you have to eat a lot of raw veggies to balance out eggs and dairy because they are hard to digest, like meat,
and tend to acidify the system (bone loss etc)

mmmmmm - garlic, onion, peppers- me too, but that stuff is good for you, in conjunction with water. I'm making raw food crackers right now - dehydrating onion, garlic, jalapenos, tomato, cilantro, flax to bind it- portable, storable raw food that still contains the enzymes.

And after latte's, you start craving the harder stuff; cappuccino's! just found some instant espresso, rare around here.

maheswari

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »
too bad hatha teacher[:D]
etherfish i dont eat eggs...i dont crave cappucino at all ..in fact i hate cappucino..useless foam[:D]
i did not understand how dairy " acidify the system (bone loss etc)"...it is supposed to bring more calcium to prevent bone loss..right or wrong?please clarify..thank you[:)]

Etherfish

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
Milk has the wrong balance of minerals for people. Calcium is not absorbed back in the bones from milk. Animal products make the system too acid, then the body dissolves the bones to alkalize it. Vegetable products alkalize the body.
Countries who consume the most milk have the highest incidence of osteopenia and osteoporosis. Bones are made mostly of silica and magnesium, and some calcium. And you need vitamin K to aid the absorption. Raw veggies have all that, especially sprouts, cucumber skin, stinging nettles, horsetail grass, and many others.

maheswari

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2011, 05:37:51 PM »
that was a quick reply...[:)]..txs dear
i like my veggies...i will like them and eat them more now...lol

HathaTeacher

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »
Thanks Ether & Maheshwari.

A cracker of dehydrated onion, garlic, jalapenos, tomato, cilantro, sounds tasty [:p] Sort of Advanced course[:)] (I've only tried crackers of fermented sprouted wheat).

Just like with soy, fermentation makes even milk more digestable (and its rest products in the body less acid), but it's still the same (cow)milk protein, casein. Some putty and wall paints are made of it - doesn't look/feel/smell like easily digested stuff[:)]. Hence the "mostly vegan" in lactoveg yoga dishes.

Wild plants are great for silica, magnesium, and other minerals (they're quite frequent in macrobiotic cooking).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:20:42 AM by HathaTeacher »

riptiz

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2011, 06:10:48 AM »
Hi,
Actually not all people can become vegetarian even if they wished to. It depends on their nutritional type as some actually suffer ill health not eating meat, just as some probably do from eating meat.This link will give much information. http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=nutritional typing

BTW I have been vegetarian for over 30 years but it suits me and I am still alive.
L&L
Dave

Etherfish

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
Thanks Hathateacher,
Haven't tried fermented sprouted wheat yet - i might try that. I made some with sprouted wheat, onions, and curry last. Now I'm trying sauerkraut onion and tomato.

PS I was a vegetarian for seven years growing up, but I'm one of those people who don't do well with it. I do well with high raw, and a little meat though. I agree nutritional typing is good.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:48:38 AM by Etherfish »