Author Topic: Observing the breath in addition to AYP?  (Read 1705 times)

Lili

Observing the breath in addition to AYP?
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »
Hi Folks,

I recently stumbled upon the work of a Canada-based Christian Orthodox priest and find it quite interesting.(http://www.warriorcoachinginternational.com/)

One of the techniques he recommends is a simple form of observing the breath and/or body scanning, done right before going to sleep. Since the timing does not conflict with my AYP routine I am tempted to give it a try. Do you think this will lead to overload?
Thanks, Lili

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »
Hi Lili,

I doubt very much that it will lead to overload, but it is always a good idea to keep an eye on things and self-pace accordingly. I have always included an observing the breath meditation in my practice routine, just before DM, and have had no problems with it.

Christi

Lili

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
Hi Christi,

Thanks! How many minutes of observing the breath are you doing? Are you doing deliberately abdominal breathing or just natural?Have you tried body scan? Thx again, Lili
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:47:59 AM by Lili »

Christi

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:27:02 AM »
Hi Lili,

I do 10 minutes of breathing meditation before DM. I just breathe normally. I described the practice here:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=6503#6503

I used to incorporate a basic body scan practice into my routine, but have not done for quite a while now.

Smileyogi

• http://kriptodanny.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

Hi Folks,

One of the techniques he recommends is a simple form of observing the breath and/or body scanning, done right before going to sleep. Since the timing does not conflict with my AYP routine I am tempted to give it a try. Do you think this will lead to overload?
Thanks, Lili

Hi Lili..
Developing the witness will not lead to overload,since is based on consciousness only school..not energy work or kundalini.(actually is based on vipasanna ,with a twist of body scanning.)
As Cristi said...it will be ok.
There is a witness in you..so this will help(even so you are creating an artificial one,till you become it..that is useful),it will not interfere with energy work.
You must understand that all these techniques actually try to initiate the knowledge of the witness within you.(till you become it)
The yogachara,or pure esoteric Zen schools try to get directly at the witness within.
Understanding is the key on these matters.But most of all,do not confuse the cause with the affect.
The guru is in you,and also outside.
love,danny
To us all towns are one, all men our kin. Life's good comes not from others' gift, nor ill. Man's pains and pains' relief are from within. Thus have we seen in visions of the wise !." - Tamil Poem-
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:30:08 PM by Smileyogi »

Lili

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
Many thanks Christi--this is very useful for me. I am curious what your total practice looks like if you don't mind sharing [:o)].

I don't want to mix up AYP with this other system so will try to do them separately with the breathing meditation and/or body scan done right before sleep.

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Lili,

I do 10 minutes of breathing meditation before DM. I just breathe normally. I described the practice here:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=6503#6503

I used to incorporate a basic body scan practice into my routine, but have not done for quite a while now.

emc

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
Smileyogi, Christi and Lili,

I'd say it all depends on how sensitive you are and where you are on your journey.

I smacked into heavy overload when beginning watching the breath, cause it got automatic and continued through out the day. Stillness/consciousness and energies are sometimes bound to come together... [:I]

Just another perspecive on causion here. I'd test it a bit at a time and see where it goes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:53:24 PM by emc »

Lili

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
Hi Smileyogi,

Thanks! Incidentally the Tamil quote you shared is given also in the book I am reading on these techniques called "The 5 pillars of life." I read the passage including this quote yesterday evening so funny to find it again today.[:)]

EMC,
When you got the overload were you practicing AYP or it was before you started doing AYP? How long was your watching the breath practice?

I tried other techniques as given by this author, e.g. embracing the tree exercise, qi gong etc without overload so far.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:10:27 PM by Lili »

emc

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
My point is that it depends on your individual situation if you'll get overload or not - no matter what the practices are. Nobody can really know but you, when you try it out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:31:31 PM by emc »

Smileyogi

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Smileyogi, Christi and Lili,

I'd say it all depends on how sensitive you are and where you are on your journey.

I smacked into heavy overload when beginning watching the breath, cause it got automatic and continued through out the day. Stillness/consciousness and energies are sometimes bound to come together... [:I]

Yes,the consciousness is bound to ki(energy)...profound emptiness gives rise to ki manifestation,and viceversa...manipulating ki builds a strong one-pointed attention.
The idea is to let go,not get stuck on consciousness watching..there is something else...it's the space between thoughts,or between breaths..or between actions.
That's the true watcher,watching you as you watch the breath..funny,eghh?
And is not a person,even so it is you.
love,danny
Lead me from dreaming to waking.
Lead me from opacity to clarity.
Lead me from the complicated to the simple.
Lead me from the obscure to the obvious.
Lead me from intention to attention.
Lead me from what I'm told I am to what I see I am.
Lead me from confrontation to wide openness.
Lead me to the place I never left,
Where there is peace, and peace
- The Upanishads

Smileyogi

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

Hi Smileyogi,

Thanks! Incidentally the Tamil quote you shared is given also in the book I am reading on these techniques called "The 5 pillars of life." I read the passage including this quote yesterday evening so funny to find it again today.[:)]

Hi Lili..that is called resonance..this means you should pay attention to the fact,since it has relevance to you only.
By Carl Gustav Jung( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung) is was called synchronicity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
Much love to you:)
danny
Lead me from dreaming to waking.
Lead me from opacity to clarity.
Lead me from the complicated to the simple.
Lead me from the obscure to the obvious.
Lead me from intention to attention.
Lead me from what I'm told I am to what I see I am.
Lead me from confrontation to wide openness.
Lead me to the place I never left,
Where there is peace, and peace
- The Upanishads

Christi

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 06:27:06 AM »
Hi Lili,

As Danny says, there is a relationship between consciousness and energy. Bringing the mind to silence and stillness (samadhi) will activate prana (kundalini). So even pure meditation techniques need to be self-paced. My kundalini was first awakened by practicing breathing meditation alone.

And as emc says, the degree to which energetics are a problem depends entirely on the person. Many people practice breathing meditation for up to 10 hours a day (sitting in silence), without ever having any problems. Others, who may be on the edge energetically, need to pace breathing meditation (and any spiritual practice) carefully to avoid excesses.

quote:
I am curious what your total practice looks like if you don't mind sharing

I don't mind at all. It's something like this:

10 mins SBP
10 mins Breathing meditation
5 mins heart opening (metta bhavana)
20 mins DM
10 mins samyama
10 mins crown practices
cosmic samyama
sivasana (lying down)

I say "something like this" because I usually don't get right through the practice. I usually "go off" somewhere during the samyama or crown practices part and don't make it through the rest of the practice.

quote:
I don't want to mix up AYP with this other system so will try to do them separately with the breathing meditation and/or body scan done right before sleep.

Doing spiritual practices right before sleep can be a bad idea. But you'll find out pretty quick if it is a bad idea for you. It can stop us from sleeping properly, or it can lead to a very groggy state in the morning, a bit like having a really bad hangover. If this happens then I would move the practices forward to another time in the day and get some activity before bed.

Christi
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:29:04 AM by Christi »

Lili

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
Hi Christi,

Thanks a lot sounds great!

Will start adding breathing meditation before going to bed starting today and see how it goes. If I get a hangover will follow your advice and move it to some time during the day.

Your practice is massive--good that you can keep up with all that. [:)]
Best, Lili

Christi

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »
Hi Lili,

quote:
Your practice is massive--good that you can keep up with all that.

I can't!

I have two small children and a job and it's impossible to keep up with anything. But I try my best. [:)]

Lili

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »
Christi,

You're doing terrific[8D]--cramming in 1 hour of sitting practices twice a day alongside 2 kids and a job--my hat is off to you...