Author Topic: Body Mass Index Calculator  (Read 1016 times)

lesliehammond713

Body Mass Index Calculator
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
BMI calculations allege that for being 5 foot 5 inches I should weigh btween 97-120 lbs. My doctor states that I should weigh 160 lbs, which is a great deal more than what the calculator states. How can this be?
I do have a large figure, and wide shoulders, and a german physique, but I still don't get her logic, So what should I listen to BMI  or my Dr.?
I think she's correct, but I'm still uncertain.

brunoloff

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:35:01 PM »
I would suggest not to calculate the ideal body weight using BMI. The important factor here is not weight/height, it is the percentage of fat in body weight (weight of fat/total weight). This can be accurately measured using a body fat caliper.

tomwhite55

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:18:28 AM »
In regards to the BMI calculator, I have been using an online Body Mass Index calculator from a weight loss website called http://www.FitClick.com.  The BMI calculator is a great way to calculate your body mass and percentage of fat and jump start your workouts to lower your body fat and/or increase your muscle size.  Breaking it down for people looking to enhance their weight loss is a great idea; it helps me comprehend the topic a little better (which is good right?)

Thanks for your community contribution, I appreciate it :D
Tom