Author Topic: Scary meditation experience  (Read 7764 times)

woosa

Scary meditation experience
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 12:27:33 AM »
Hi Autumn

All I can suggest is to drop any expectations of what meditation should or shouldn't be. And just do it!

Meditation will take you through these stages of the mind:

http://aypsite.org/327.html

I would advise against slipping into non-relational self inquiry - "Autumn does not exist". I beg to differ with that observation because you are reading this and typing on a keyboard. You will have to eat and drink something today. You are still a human being living a human life!

AYP is not centered on Advaita/ Self-Inquiry. First you must cultivate inner silence through meditation and other practices. You can use Advaita/ Self-Inquiry later on. But it is much more fruitful if you have some inner silence already present.

This lesson should help http://aypsite.org/322.html

I know where you are coming from with "what's the point of meditating". I had the same thoughts too. But that's all they are - thoughts! We are meditating to transcend pre-witnessing/ identifying our thoughts because we will get nowhere if we keep trying to solve spiritual matters with theory. [:)]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:29:06 AM by woosa »

AumNaturel

Scary meditation experience
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Autumn
That can only mean that any experience during meditation, usual or unusual is still our mind playing up and is rather a distraction.

I would simplify that, and just say if you are meditating during the time you set for meditation, any deliberate deviation from the instructions means you are no longer meditating. The suggestion is to easily favor the instructions for meditation during your meditation session, and maintain a regular schedule doing so.

Honoring the habit is very important, even if the time available for it varies on any given day. I believe the reason for this is with more openings and purification, it is possible to encounter strong inner tendencies to go off into feelings, sensations, etc., all of which is collectively regarded during a session as 'scenery' (regardless of what it may or may not be), and without an equal commitment to meditation, it will become nearly impossible to build up a 'center' stable enough to let go of these experiences.

quote:
But, what is so wrong with the experience that one would not want it.

Nothing is wrong with experience. During meditation, however, experiences may or may not happen, and it doesn't matter since they are just inert effects and not causes, as the lessons often remind us. Meditation, a non-doing practice that is like having a mirror polish itself...allow it to polish and don't invite more dust during the procedure.

What you do outside of your sessions is of course your call, just so long as they don't interfere. It is a good idea to also have more purification than accumulation of the very 'dust' (samskaras in mind and body) that's being cleared.

You bring up great questions that fall well in line with principles promoted for self-inquiry from different sources. It is of course encouraged, and done on your own terms depending on your own inclinations. Just remember that AYP makes use of a holistic approach that is put together in a particular way for reasons that become more evident as we use them daily and over time. I go by the suggestion to favor the basics (starting with Deep meditation), and all else will find its place.