Author Topic: Pregnancy, Pregnancy Hormones and Child Rearing  (Read 1730 times)

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Pregnancy, Pregnancy Hormones and Child Rearing
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »
Namaste Friends....

Been dying to announce this since my wife and I found out, and can't hold it in any longer[;)][:D].....we are "with child"!  Hurray![^]

But with these new developments come new challenges (already).  I know many of you have children already, and some of you have even gone through the whole birthing process, and I am hoping that you can load me up on advice[:)]

First off....pregnancy hormones.  Any suggestions on ways to help my wife (just to clarify, I don't really consider her "mine"[;)]) deal with the extreme mood fluxuations?  She has a new tendency to straight up BALL over little to nothing.  Even she is flabbergasted by it.  But she can't seem to control it either.  So far all I can think to do is help her see the irrationality of her thinking (which can be WAY crazy[:p]) and show as much Love as possible....so far it is working to a point...that point being until the next thing comes up that triggers a response[;)].

Secondly, I am hoping for some advice in terms of what I can do to help support my wife through the pregnancy.  I have asked her, but she doesn't seem to know.  At this point I am just trying to keep her from getting stressed, keep her well-fed and rested, and keep her decently exercised.  So far physically she seems to be doing fine other then having to quit smoking (a very old habit for her) cold turkey and she is having some difficulties sleeping (it is uncomfortable for her to lay the way she likes to).  Any suggestions would be great.

Third, I know it is a bit early to be preparing for this part, but anyone have any advice on raising kids?  I have my own ideas, but none have had the chance to be able to be put to the test.  Any advice on what you have noticed works (or doesn't) would be great.

Thank you and may you all feel even just a little bit of the joy I am feeling in becoming a Dad. d=[:D]=b

Love,
Carson[^]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:55:11 AM by CarsonZi »

Yonatan

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:26:18 AM »
Congrats!!!!!!!!!
[:)]:D

[:)]

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:56:09 AM »
Congratulations to you and your wife Carson!!![:)

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:19:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Third, I know it is a bit early to be preparing for this part, but anyone have any advice on raising kids?  I have my own ideas, but none have had the chance to be able to be put to the test.  Any advice on what you have noticed works (or doesn't) would be great.

Well, I was not ready to put this out here as yet.. I did want to post some more before I told people about this... but here goes.. hopefully it will help.[:)]
http://i-me-and-mind.blogspot.com/
I had asked a few people to read it before I posted it.. and most liked it.. but there was one person who thought it was radical[:D].. I think it is very possible to bring up children with real love.. all we need is an open mind and the willingness to see things in a different light. We need to raise conscious kids so the whole world can be enlightened.. like Yogani said..  http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1502&whichpage=5#19135
quote:
Enlightenment will not be complete until all of humanity (and the entire cosmos) is self-aware in Oneness. A seemingly impossible task, yes? Nevertheless, Oneness cannot truly be Oneness until all have been brought home to That.

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
Heeeyyy Daddy [:D]

Carson.....wow......hipp hurra![:)]

quote:
She has a new tendency to straight up BALL over little to nothing. Even she is flabbergasted by it. But she can't seem to control it either. So far all I can think to do is help her see the irrationality of her thinking (which can be WAY crazy) and show as much Love as possible....so far it is working to a point...that point being until the next thing comes up that triggers a response.

Let her ball Carson [:)]
This too shall pass. This need not be fixed. Just hold her.....like you hold yourself when you release something into Silence. When she is emotional like that....reason doesn't really do it. You kindly listen to her......and be that space. A word or two maybe....but being there as love....so that she feels supported by your presence...this really helps. She can relax in this.

quote:
Secondly, I am hoping for some advice in terms of what I can do to help support my wife through the pregnancy. I have asked her, but she doesn't seem to know

Saying it again: Very wise...your wife is [:)]
You know.....the magnitude of pregnancy.....of nurturing a child into being.....of becoming parents.....it is so vast isn't it....
And yet.....this too is integral.....a natural part of life living. So.....here too.......we don't know. There are no recipies....not in daily life....and not in pregnant life (apart from the obvious...like doctor's advice....or natural health care etc). But...knowing this....your ear can be wide open......you will learn supporting her along the days, weeks, months....just like you are already doing very well, I'm sure. Just writing this post has opened you up to inner "teachings" regarding pregnant fathers [:)] And support may have to change along the way for her....since pregnancy has many fases. Yet....no need to think about this in advance. It will be shown to you Carson. You just stay awake. That's all.

quote:
At this point I am just trying to keep her from getting stressed, keep her well-fed and rested, and keep her decently exercised.

[:D].....You are very caring Carson.....[:D][:I][:D].....how to say this..........Carson, if you keep this up...I mean...if you make this into a full time job.......you are going to be a wreck by the end of her pregnancy [:o)] And that's when all your strength is needed. She is perfectly capable of taking good care of herself. She...and the baby....will survive stress just fine, will eat just fine (but yeah...get the shopping done...she'll appreciate that). When is the baby due?...(you don't have to say :)

But the exercise....yes...good for you! Get her out of that sofa [:D]

As for raising children....ah.....what can I say...I am far from an expert.  Like I said to a friend the other day....we are good parents in spite of ourselves....not because of ourselves [:)]
Anyway....I know nothing.....but I am a mother of two beautiful daughters....who have taught me a lot about parenting. They taught me.......along the way. The only principles I have practiced (more or less successful depending on the level of awareness present here) are: Never be afraid to say that I was wrong, say "I am sorry" when I know I have been a knee-jerk. Never to demand respect...rather let that grow of itself. Really listen to what they have to say...they are awareness too. Take their problems seriously.....and come to their rescue when needed...but just as importantly....don't come to their rescue when this is keeping them in a negative loop. Be flexible.....and firm at the same time.

[:o)]So....it is not that different from raising a dog....in that both dicipline and love is needed. (I have raised two dogs too)....rules are rules......security is found in a structure that allows freedom a space to grow in (that means....good routines are good for everybody).

But really....this comes later, yes?
For now....keep levelheaded (I just learned that expression from Sage).....And keep enjoying at the same time! BE there for her. That's enough. That's plenty Carson.

I am so happy for you!!!

Jiipii [:D]

PS Forgive me if I didn't let it shine through that it is your love for her and your child .....and all the joy in you....and a little overwhelm....that makes you think you have to do so many things now. I do understand Carson....it is what men do when they become pregnant....they ....what's the word...they "heard"...."hurd"...no...can't remember now...they become extreme caretakers...as if their wife...or the baby.... was made of porcelain or something......
Anyway...my ex put on 5 kilos in both our pregnancies *LoL*

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51:01 AM »
YEah Shanti!

We cross posted [:)]

Good for you.....I was waiting for you to chip in here!

Am looking forward to reading your blog......congrats....this is a birth too [:D]

PS Just read it....great perspective on parenting Shanti. On life in general too. I'm so glad you're visible!! And may your blog prosper [:)]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:34:56 AM by Katrine »

sagebrush

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »
Carson-

Congratulations! How exciting to have a wife and a pregnant one at that!

I was pregnant and it is a very unique journey I would imagine for each individual person.

My simple suggestion is the following: the best in prenatal vitamins!

Also, just reading your post sounds like to me you are ready to be supportive of her with what may show up along the way, and that you are excited about being a parent and concerned about her.

My son is now 8 and it has been quite a journey. I NEVER imagined being a parent and it  was a complete WILD fluke getting pregnant.
For me, simply, even though it is a challenge being responsible for someone else, it has been an experience of alot of joy and genuine unconditional love.

Knowing that you are both in this together is teamwork!

Also just on the lighter side of things, I wanted to add this because of a posting below.

A male friend of mine was assuring me that delivering would be no problem. That my child would just come slipping right out with little pain.....my mother who gave birth naturally 7X asked him if he had ever sh*t a watermelon? Not intending to be rude- just funny!

Look forward to some stories and news along the way from you.

sage

machart

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
Congrats Carson!

The great thing about having kids (mine are 24 and 20) is they make you feel (and act) like a kid again...enjoy!

miguel

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Congratulations Carsonziji![:)]

Parallax

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
Congrats Carson!

You'll be a great Dad...I've got 3 young ones of my own and they have been an amazing gift...my greatest teachers.

My advice during the pregnancy is to basically do whatever she asks you to do, no questions asked, no matter how irrational it may seem...but also know that no matter how hard you try you won't be able to "solve" everything for her (hormones, mood swings) but doing what you can, understanding, giving her space when she needs it and most of all lots of LOVE and everything will be great...the whole process from beginning to end is a MIRACLE!!!!

As to child rearing, I'm still trying to figure that one out, but my 2 cents is to shower them with love (which sometimes/frequently involves telling the "no"), completely accept them for who they are and the best thing to do is teach them by your example...and cherish every single moment b/c it goes by quick

And if you think you feel joy now, just wait til you're holding that little soul in your arms!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
Congratulations Carson![:)]

Parallax

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:

Well, I was not ready to put this out here as yet.. I did want to post some more before I told people about this... but here goes.. hopefully it will help.[:)]
http://i-me-and-mind.blogspot.com/
I had asked a few people to read it before I posted it.. and most liked it.. but there was one person who thought it was radical[:D].. I think it is very possible to bring up children with real love.. all we need is an open mind and the willingness to see things in a different light. We need to raise conscious kids so the whole world can be enlightened.. like Yogani said..  http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1502&whichpage=5#19135
quote:
Enlightenment will not be complete until all of humanity (and the entire cosmos) is self-aware in Oneness. A seemingly impossible task, yes? Nevertheless, Oneness cannot truly be Oneness until all have been brought home to That.

Shanti, just read your blog and LOVE it!! Congrats, glad you got it out there

Kirtanman

• http://livingunbound.net
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
quote:

Namaste Friends....

Been dying to announce this since my wife and I found out, and can't hold it in any longer[;)][:D].....we are "with child"!  Hurray![^]

Congratulations, Brother Carson!!

Awesome News!!

[:D]

quote:

But with these new developments come new challenges (already).  I know many of you have children already, and some of you have even gone through the whole birthing process, and I am hoping that you can load me up on advice[:)]

"Duck!"

[8D]

(I did it three times; I speak from experience ..... [:o)])

Seriously? No, not seriously ..... that would be terrible [:D] .... *Joyously* .... it's pretty simple:

When in doubt, LOVE.

When not in doubt, LOVE.

The rest is just details.

Really.

quote:

First off....pregnancy hormones.  Any suggestions on ways to help my wife (just to clarify, I don't really consider her "mine"[;)]) deal with the extreme mood fluxuations?  

"See above."

quote:

She has a new tendency to straight up BALL over little to nothing.  Even she is flabbergasted by it.  

Er ... um .............. I'm *guessing* the term you are intending to use it the one usually referring to ... crying?

Usually spelled B-a-w-l?

As opposed to the slang term for "have sex"? (B-a-l-l)

Same advice applies in either case, of course ...... "see above".

(& not poking fun @ your spelling Brother Carson; I may be the only one doing a double-take at seeing the word "Ball" .... but, hey --- thought it {mildly} worth mentioning ...... [:)])

quote:

But she can't seem to control it either.  So far all I can think to do is help her see the irrationality of her thinking (which can be WAY crazy[:p]) and show as much Love as possible....so far it is working to a point...that point being until the next thing comes up that triggers a response[;)].

I'm still not 100% sure which one you mean ...... [;)] ... but sounds like you intuitively get the right response --- and I'm being (joyously) serious, here.

Pregnancy does involve hormonal shifts that males of the guy-like persuasion just can't understand --- and we don't need to.

(Giving) Love is always the answer; only an ego-idea could think otherwise.

I'm sure she's supported you through various things -- maybe a time or two??

Her part of the deal is to care for herself and your (shared) baby.

Your part of the deal is to care for her and your (shared) baby.

("The view from here", etc. etc.)

Very natural allocation of roles, I'd say .....

There's really not much else *to* do; giving Loving by being open and letting Loving inform the moment ("Let go and let God",  as the saying goes .. [:)]) will help make for a fundamentally joyous pregnancy, and contribute to the healthiest development of the kula (group, family, clan) that is now expanding in the form of another wonderful body-mind.

Any other way of being with it .... maybe not so much.

quote:

Secondly, I am hoping for some advice in terms of what I can do to help support my wife through the pregnancy.  I have asked her, but she doesn't seem to know.

Sometime each gender presumes the other must have some "secret special classes" (on how to be a woman/man, husband/father, wife/mother, etc.) - they don't. We don't. Every woman feels like all the *other* women know what to do (they don't); every guy feels like they're the only guy/father-to-be who's really unsure (they're not) --- it's the nature of the ego-mind to worry about stuff and doubt.

I will now share with you Kirtanman's non-patentable custom-intuited right-now process for Happiness in Every Moment:

1. Let Go, Let God.

2. Give Love.

3. When In Doubt, See Guidelines #1 & #2 above.

4. Repeat.

Hm? No ... there's no "until".

Just Repeat.

quote:

At this point I am just trying to keep her from getting stressed, keep her well-fed and rested, and keep her decently exercised.  So far physically she seems to be doing fine other then having to quit smoking (a very old habit for her) cold turkey and she is having some difficulties sleeping (it is uncomfortable for her to lay the way she likes to).  Any suggestions would be great.

Yep - smoking's a tough one, but a "gotta do" (if you want a healthy baby) - I was a month early, and a couple pounds light (5.5 lbs @ birth), per my Mom's smoking. I've had two daughters who've had to do that, one of them twice -- and basically: maternal instinct beats even addiction, almost always ... but it's also not a "one slip equals problems", either; it's more: lowest possible blood-levels of nicotine are best, zero is ideal.

The "getting comfortable" thing is very individual; every woman deals with it, and "no one solution fits all" ..... on any given day, even -- especially per changes during pregnancy.

quote:

1. Let Go, Let God.

2. Give Love.

3. When In Doubt, See Guidelines #1 & #2 above.

4. Repeat.

& .. remember ... life knows what it's doing.

Ego/Thought-Me thinks this is "hard" - it isn't. It's actually natural.

That's why enlightenment is called "the natural state" - it's what's here when all the thinking-me's artificiality is dropped - all the doubt, any sense of conflict, etc. etc.

Just let awareness shine; don't let thoughts inform the moment -- let any answer/action, etc. come from silence.

Loving ... and enlightenment both boil down to the same thing ..... releasing attachment to form ... and living unbound in the resulting reality.

_/\\_

quote:

Thank you and may you all feel even just a little bit of the joy I am feeling in becoming a Dad. d=[:D]=b

Love,
Carson[^]

Oh, I do -- family -- love -- kula -- connection formed and expanded in actual loving -- is one of the greatest, most beautiful joys of this human experiencing.

And it's all truly so simple:

It's only about the loving.

Only always.

Intending You & Your Family Enlightenment/Loving/Joy - Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:21:04 PM by Kirtanman »

Akasha

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
This post is a little shorter.[:D]

Congratulations[:)]

I could'nt  think of a better Dad based on the kind of person you come across as in your posts here. :+)

I've been through  birthing here a few times also. I think i had the ayp  equivalent of a casarean.

Well done Carson. You've come Auumm  finally :+)[^]

And that's a good Blog you've got Shanti-another birth-- very nice![:p][:I]

Not sure what else to add here.
Maybe later.
Over & Out.

Lots of love to All,
It is very nice to be heere with all of you, this warm open-hearted community[:I] full of so many kind  & compassionate souls. I'm not sure if i've ever met a more genuine place- i think the practices and the loving spirit and ethos of this place speaks for itself.So kind and accommodating, so loving and forgiving.......Lost for words again!

Thank You Thank you
& Lots of Soul Hugs[:I][;)] to everyone
Thanks for putting up with this foolhardy-ish cowboy,so blessed.
Infatuated with the divine loving of AYP. So lucky..

M[;)]ore Later

[^]More Heart-Opening----More Loving...More Joy[^]p[:D][:D]

Might seem a bit weird to recount this but In a dream last night i was in this rough "spiritual" bar( this is the only way i can describe it..how it seemed) , but  this time round ,i was strengthened by the presence of all you lot  here knowing you were there.Your presence .Folk were trying to crush me but i had lot less fear , if any at all.Less perturbed by things going on....let's say.

I'd invite you all round  for dinner- literal and spiritual -and have a virtual party...i think i would enjoy that[;)]

Akasha[:)]

p.s  
quote:
Third, I know it is a bit early to be preparing for this part, but anyone have any advice on raising kids?

follow you heart/intuition. let them be kids(make mistakes etc) you should be a natural. let it haapeen when it arises. be wary of transfering one's own neuroses onto one's kids.let them be free..food,education,opportunity etc

christiane

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
Carson! again congratulations!
It's the beginning of a long trip full of intensity
on all levels..
I guess it's also a great way to feel deeply involved
and responsible.
I will probably never experience being a physical mother in this life, but motherhood has nothing to do with hormones right?
And you have it Carson! you are a mother to your child, your wife and
AYP friends.
The best way you can support your wife is: keep yourself centered, keep working on yourself, and just listen to her beyond the words, just
be a cocoon of love energy for her.

Much love to you, your wife and CarsonZi junior :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:21:21 PM by christiane »