Author Topic: An ayp retreat.  (Read 1867 times)

miguel

An ayp retreat.
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:15:35 AM »
Hi all.

Im thinking about doing an 3 days ayp retreat,following the instructions of ayp retreats.

I have been doing daily practices for almost 6 months.My routine now is 1 mte sbp and 5 mtes dm.

Do you think is a good idea to do a retreat now?

I would like to be in silence all the three days also.I think its a powerful practice.

Must i continue doing my normal sb and dm time or can i do longer sessions at the retreat?

If anyone is interested in doing a retreat this next days,maybe we can join it together in the distance.We can prepare it together and...It would be more powerful experience[8D]!

Thanks.[:)]

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:17:34 AM by miguel »

Zelebe

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:13:03 AM »
I'm also thinking already some time to do a 3 day ayp retreat. Still have no exact dates (has to fit in, working 40 hrs a week), but this year for sure. Very curious to read the responses and also the experiences!

Greetings

miguel

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 04:20:59 AM »
Yeah,im still have no exact dates too.There are some responsabilities and I need to think about it,prepare it,and dont know why but my ego doesnt like the idea.A stange fear is here since i posted this.
But i want to do it.Ill take it easy.[:)]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:23:53 AM by miguel »

miguel

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:37:33 AM »
mmm....maybe events section is a better place for this post....sorry.[8)]
I feel the s.cafe like a section for talking with s.travels about ideas,doubts,plans...also...but maybe not the best place for this...[?]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:39:57 AM by miguel »

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
An ayp retreat.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:50:17 AM »
Hi Miguel

quote:
I have been doing daily practices for almost 6 months.My routine now is 1 mte sbp and 5 mtes dm.

I take it this is 1 minute Spinal Breathing and 5 minutes Deep Meditation.
This seems quite little and looks like you are self-pacing, which I guess you have monitored and have reduced your practices accordingly, as per recommendation.

So just wondering how much leeway you have with your practices in terms of overloading?, and how this would reveal itself on a three day silent retreat, what do you think?

miguel

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:00:51 AM »
Hi Sparkle,

Yes,i mean spinal breathin p. and d.meditacion.

I have a very little leeway with my practices in terms of overloading.I must use a chrone due to my high sensibility to practices.

My top time in one session is in 2 mtes sbp and 6 mtes dm. I suposse i could reduce sbp if i want to add more dm time or viceversa.But maximum 8 mtes of practice per session.One minute more lead me to over-purification.
Now i do 1 mte sbp and 5 mtes dm because im rebuilding my practice again.I had an overload some weeks ago cz i added one mte more of practice[:0]

Dont know what would happen in a 3 day retreat.Maybe its to much and 2 days retreat is better.
2 days maybe can work well for me and add a good impulse to my journey.
But...dont know exactly...

Thanks [:)].
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:08:52 AM by miguel »

miguel

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:11:52 AM »
I must say that this idea has come here due to an inner spontaneous desire.An inner call since yesterday[:)].

Victor

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:18:43 AM »
This seems contraditory to me. The times that you practice are very short (which is fine if that is your need), but a silent retreat is really a very big step with that light a practice. Perhaps when you have gotten up to maybe 15 minutes of SBP and 15 mins of DM would be the time to be thinking of a retreat. If you are so concerned with overload at this point I would not push it with a retreat. It is also possible that you are being overcautious as I can't imagine any overload coming from just a couple of minutes of practice a day! These practices may be powerful but unless your 1 minute of pranayama consists of a single breath I really think that you are underdoing.
 I would rebuild your practice to a regular solid level before considering a retreat but that is just my opinion

miguel

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 06:41:58 AM »
Victor,thanks for the advice,but i dont really see any problem if i adapt the retreat to my level of practice.I think two days is a good begining (or 1 day!),and there is a program designed for maximun benefit without many risk,i think.
And the reason why i want to do this is because and inner call for it that i feel now. I suposse i must pay atention to the call.
I can be wrong in many points of course,but its a qeutsion of adaptate the guidelines with your level of practice.
And i think my practice is almost solid and very regular also.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:49:41 AM by miguel »

Yonatan

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »
Dear Miguel,

What would the retreat consist of? The regular routine and observing silence? Sounds good maybe for a start 1 or 2 days? Maybe you could add a short routine during the day of a couple of minutes of just observing the breath or maybe being mindful and observant of the mind, sensations and sounds.. Maybe go outside for a walk in nature without any plans, just enjoying it..? I think it may be fun.. It can be revitalizing

Take it easy [:)]

Victor

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
Actually, I am not trying to discourage a short retreat of this kind. What puzzles me is the extremely short duration of your practice especially the pranayama part. For me one minute is would basically not even be a settling in period and takes a few minutes to warm up. My daily practice is about 20 minutes of each but I have been doing this for some time. I think that 10 minutes of each is a good starting minimum perhaps with a short break in between if you like. It just seems to me that if you back off that much that you will never really go deeper at all and that maybe challanging yourself just a little bit will do more good than possible overload. Its better to explore and experiment a little with what works for you but to be regular and consistant in practice times and neither overdo or underdo. If you were having hour long sits and complaining about overload I would understand and suggest that you back off a bit, under 10 minutes of each practice is really very light and so my advice is to focus more on the daily practice and I guess do the retreat if you like but do a daily practice that catually counts as the most important part. It seems to me that you are focusing more on the drama of the experience than on the actual experience of inner quiet itself. That is what I would be attentive to. Just my 2 cents

RSS

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
I really don't understand how a few minutes of pranayama plus a few minutes of deep meditation would cause overloads.  Please help me understand.  Actually, I can't wait for the day where this is too much and I need to cut back.  For the last 8 months I've been slowly increasing my routine up to where it is now.  About 40 minutes of pranayama and 20 minutes of meditation, 2 or 3 times a day. I feel some energy during pranayama, a very peaceful feeling during meditation (somewhat blissful, floating feeling), and my breath suspends on it own once in a while at the top of the pranayama but nothing that would remotely cause me to cut back or self pace.  What am I missing? Am I doing something wrong?

AYPforum

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

miguel

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
I yonatan.I would follow the instructions here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1416

It was designed by people with experience in retreats.It offers a good balance of activities.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:10:20 PM by yogani99 »

Yonatan

An ayp retreat.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 06:32:15 PM »
It looks good [:)]