Author Topic: DM self pacing  (Read 1170 times)

miguel

DM self pacing
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »
Hi all[:)]:

I have been doing for one month 5 mtes DM twice a day.There were no serious overloads,almost stable practice all the time.¿why i say "almost"?
Ok,some days along the month,little days,i felt a bit oveloaded.Then that days i did breathing meditation and the next day returned to dm without problems.
But altought practice were smoothly for a month,there was a little disconfort.Not totally comfortable.No overloads,but not comfortable most of the days at the same time.It was like a bit ungrounded feelings and some more mental activity than usual.It creates a little disconfort.
Now i decided to start with 5 mtes once a day,DM.
I feel DM (and other type of meditation too,but specially dm) very powerfull.
Today,after only 5 mtes of dm and 25 mtes resting (i need that most of the days),in normal life i felt energy running inside,and specially inside head area.Hot energy running.A bit uncomfortable.And when i began with normal acticities it dissapear.It seems only a little practice activate all the energetic sistem.It "awakes from sleep".

10 mtes twice a day: energy highs,nightmares at night,restlessness along the day,bad feelings...

5 mtes twice a day:some days a bit overloaded (few days,and it dissapear with breath meditation that day or no practice that day),constant feeling of a bit ungrounded,like living more in the head and less in the body,persistents thoughts....but i can do this sadhanna with stability.

5 mtes once a day: i think it will be my perfect own pace.

My question is: Im right with 5 mtes once a day,or i should continue with 5 mtes twice a day? 5 mtes twice a day brings that little problems,but maybe its normal in a smoothly routine to have some discomfort,not to the overload point?
I dont like my situation,that little practice.I think here is little development.What do you think about this?
Why some people are very sensitive and other people doesnt?,whats the reason? How is the nervous sistem of sensitive meditators? have we more or less obstructions for cleansing?
Thanks.[:)]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:22:31 AM by miguel »

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
DM self pacing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »
Hi Miguel

Thanks for reminding me to respond to your questions regarding sensitivity. It has been a busy week-end here....[:)]

It is a challenge when our sensitivity is great; but it is still possible to work out a practice routine that will fit your needs.

First of all - since you are already down to 5 min once day, then obviously there is not much more you can reduce regarding the DM. Personally (and I too have daily issues with self-pacing) I think you should stick with 5 min twice a day.

But - and I may be wrong here, hope others will chime in - when I had serious overload, starting Spinal Breathing Pranayama worked wonders here. For one thing it saw to it that the ecstatic conductivity was travelling the route from root to Ajna, and it also brought energy DOWN along the spinal chord (not only up the way it was going here). You should start with only 2-5 min before DM.

Also - I always found that walking more helped. Today I cycle or walk 1-2 hours every day...without that I would be lost in space [:)]

Also - read this entire topic:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=4507

Here is an exerpt from that topic written by Yogani:

One of the key concepts that has been highlighted here is sensitivity to practices.

It is something we have all been aware of on one side of the center or the other -- either a lot of sensitivity to practices, or seemingly little sensitivity to practices (what this topic is about). In every practitioner it will change over time, depending on where we are on our path, and the interplay of our spiritual desire, practices, inner obstructions, self-pacing, and the course of our daily life.

Among those who make a sincere commitment to keeping up daily practices, the ones who are extremely sensitive to practices are quite rare. See here for for an example:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/160.html
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/200.html

Likewise, I believe those who are extremely insensitive to practices are rare.

Of course, this may be a misnomer, since some who may land on either end of the sensitivity spectrum may discontinue practices and no longer be visible in our sample of practitioners. All the more reason to provide effective means for practitioners on both ends to move toward the middle.

What we'd like to do is continue working on both ends of the bell curve distribution of practitioners to provide means for everyone to move toward the center in a self-directed way: a reliable path of observable progress with comfort and safety -- a middle way.

I believe this is possible, since many (myself included) have experienced over the course of years and decades in practices that there have been periods of both high sensitivity (energy overloads) and high insensitivity (extended plateaus). With continuing prudent practice, both of these eventually dissolve toward the center, through self-pacing in the case of high sensitivity, and through time and adjustments/additions in practice in the case of high insensitivity. As our collective skill increases over time, the less will the extremes of sensitivity/insensitivity to practices be left unaddressed. It is an evolution in applied knowledge we are undergoing.

In other words, the bell curve is not fixed. It only reflects where everyone happens to be in their sensitivity to practices at a point in time. Indeed, any of us may find ourselves on one side or the other of the center from one month (or year) to the next, and we have the means for pacing the flow of purification and opening. The fact that we are able to consider both ends of the continuum of sensitivity to practices is a sign of progress. It means we have found a fairly reliable middle way, and are continuing to open practical doorways on all sides. Let us continue...

The guru is in you.

I wish you all the best Miguel [:)]

miguel

DM self pacing
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »
Thank you very much Katrine.You helped me a lot with this post.
Ill continue with 5 mtes twice a day.Im proud of my sadhanna last month.I was more or less stable with 5 mtes twice,but no big overloads.Ill continue with this.
And spinal breathing,maybe adding 2 mtes before dm can help me with more energy balance (up-down).Ill try it,and if it is too much,then ill do only dm.But i think its a great idea adding this tool.
Respect to grounding,i have started with regular walkings of 1 hour most of the days.It helps a lot.
Thanks and love for you Katrine,[:)]

Thanks for the topic you sent me,ill read it with atention![;)]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:39:07 PM by miguel »

miguel

DM self pacing
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
Its a good thing to see how 2 mtes of SB before DM helps very much balancing energy in all my energetic system.
Before adding that new tool in my sadhanna,the energy activated with only 5 mtes of DM didnt run along the body,and after DM always felt lot of energy acumulated specially in head area.Not  very uncomfortable,but worst than after adding 2 mtes of SB.
Now,i dont feel energy acumulated after DM,i feel more relaxed during DM,and during the day i feel more relaxed,and a little feeling of bliss,sometimes.
Im doing only 2 mtes.But,do you think i could  do 5 mtes,or its too much.Maybe can i wait two weeks with 2 mtes and add 3 mtes more if things go smoothly?Maybe is too much SB 5 mtes.
I have other questions in my head...maybe if things are going better with 2 mtes SB,it will be less difficult in the future trying with 10 mtes DM.I tried last week without SB,and it was horrible idea 10 mtes DM...but maybe with SB i can try it again in two weeks or one month and it will be better beacause of SB effects...maybe the cause of my overloads are for energy bloked and now SB helps energy running trought the body.?

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
DM self pacing
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:04:16 PM »
[:)]
Miguel, as a rule, when you find a set of practices and times that gives your practice stability, stick with it for atleast 2 weeks to make sure you are stable. Then, increase any one practice, so if you increase SpB, don't increase meditation and vice versa. Again, make sure you are stable, then play around with the time for the next practice.

I know it's tempting to jump in and do more.. but please remember, in yoga, less is more.. 5 min of a stable meditation will do you much more than 10 min of meditation followed by an overload. If you feel stable for a day or two and increase/add some practice and overload, you will have to cut it all back.. it's like taking 2 steps forward and three steps back. You are a natural in this path, so just be a bit patient, small baby steps will take you further faster than two giant steps forward and three giant steps back.

miguel

DM self pacing
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:21:19 AM »
Thanks shanti[:)]

Yes,that was my idea.Since i have added 2 mtes SB i have in mind doing this sadhana (2 mtes SB,5 DM,2 per day) for two weeks.Then ill consider increasing to 5 mtes SB.And two weeks after and if the things go right i can try increasing to 7 mtes DM.
In my case i must take lot of care...but each step forward brings me great joy,like the last month  with 5 mtes (2 per day) stable.
For the moment two weeks 2 mtes SB and 5 DM is very important for checking my own pace.SB is doing great things here for the moment.
Thank you very much.[:)]

PS.I know,less is more[;)]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:26:41 AM by miguel »

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
DM self pacing
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:49:13 AM »
Hi Miguel.....

One other point on top of what Shanti and Katrine have already said....don't know if you already know this or not, but incase you don't.....

With yoga practices there is often a delay in the effects felt.  Meaning that you may have a regular practice set for a couple of weeks, which has been going well, so you decide you are ready to add a new practice.  What you may not have realized though, is that the effects of the last two weeks of practicing haven't even hit you yet.  For me personally I had a sadhana that included too many practices for a couple of months....everything was going smoothly for at least that couple of months, but after a while I started to get some heavy overloading symptoms.  It took me a while to realize that it was caused by me overdoing practices, and that I had been overdoing them for months now.  It took that long for me to feel the overload though.  So what I am trying to get across is that you may feel that you are stable in your practice set, but I would personally double the time frame you are dealing with when you think you are stable.  So if you have been doing a certain set for 2 weeks and you think that you are ready to add another practice on, wait two more weeks THEN add it.  Just to be safe.  The delayed effects thing can be tricky.  Just hoping to help.  Best of luck!

Love,
Carson[^]

miguel

DM self pacing
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:00:39 AM »
Hi and thanks Carson.Yes,i think maybe its better one month after adding new elements.Ill do that,im agree with your advice[;)].
With 5 mtes DM i was stable all this last month.Yesterday i added 2 mtes SB and it was a great idea for more balancing.Now Ill wait one month more and ill try adding 2 more minutes of DM...
sometimes is difficult to keep self -pacing because of "spiritual hungry".This advices are wellcome[:D]
Thanks.[:)]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:05:06 AM by miguel »

CarsonZi

DM self pacing
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 03:23:10 AM »
Yes the Bhakti (spiritual hunger) can be ravenous sometimes, I know....  But that hunger doesn't require you to add more practices.  Turn that hunger to the practices you ARE doing, and they will be that much more effective.  An intense desire for moksha is wonderful, but having that desire doesn't mean that you should be doing an hour and a half of practices twice daily and that if you don't you won't achieve this liberation.   It means that what practices you ARE doing, should be done with this intent of acheiving liberation.  You are a sensitive one, one who feels the effects of even just a small amount of spiritual practices, so don't push it....the more you push it, the more time it will likely take for you to achieve liberation.  If you are feeling the effects after only 5 mins of DM, then stick with 5 mins of DM until you are FULLY adjusted to these effects and are no longer feeling them.  IMO that is when it is time to carefully press forward.  If you are still having strong effects from your practices, leave them as they are.  Hell, I STILL can't add samyama back into my practice set cause it blows me away everytime.  Not necessarily in a good way.  More in a "need-to-get-back-to-where-I-was-when-I-started" kind of way.  Take it easy on yourself.  Less REALLY is more with a sensitive meditator like you.  Good luck.

Love,
Carson[^]

miguel

DM self pacing
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 03:38:18 AM »
Thanks Carson.[:)]

Katrine

DM self pacing
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 04:32:13 AM »
Hi Miguel

quote:
Its a good thing to see how 2 mtes of SB before DM helps very much balancing energy in all my energetic system.

That's great...very happy to hear it Miguel [:)]

And Carson is very right about the delayed effects of too much practise....I just spent the last couple of days in overload because of breathing the hue/vibration/face of Christ through the Ajna and out from the heart......being stupid enough to overdo it between practises......[:I]

Have recovered now....and will have to self-pace.

Be sure you wait long enough before adding anything....and adding one minute at a time of one practice is enough.

Much love to you too [:)]

miguel

DM self pacing
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »
Hi Katrine,breathing with christ face sounds beautiful.Im glad your overloads has passed.[:)]
I have began directly with 2 mtes of SB,twice a day.You think is better only do 1 mte SB for more security?
You say about adding one minute each month,doesnt it?
Thanks.You helped me a lot with SB i think.[:)]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:32:27 AM by miguel »

Katrine

DM self pacing
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 07:48:11 AM »
hi Miguel

quote:
I have began directly with 2 mtes of SB,twice a day.You think is better only do 1 mte SB for more security?

No [:)]
In this case SB came in to create balance. It served well; 2 min is fine.

quote:
You say about adding one minute each month,doesnt it?

Yes. As long as you are still balanced (when you get to 10 min of SB, then that is enough adding)

quote:
Thanks.You helped me a lot with SB i think.

Not me....AYP [:D]

Good luck....and if you are fond of trees.....they ground you too. I like to hug them [:D]

CarsonZi

DM self pacing
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:58:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

if you are fond of trees.....they ground you too. I like to hug them [:D]

TreeHugger!! [;)]

[:o)]

miguel

DM self pacing
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 08:02:06 AM »
Thanks katrine and ayp.Ill do that.1 minute per month sounds good for me.
I love trees also,specially my sushumna tree [|)]...
trees are wonderfull beings,and i have hug some of them sometimes.Thanks for the advice[:)]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:09:09 AM by miguel »