Author Topic: Could gastric bypass surgery interfere with AYP?  (Read 1219 times)

newpov

Could gastric bypass surgery interfere with AYP?
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:36:45 AM »
I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this. Before I go ahead with this surgery, I'd like to know if this will or could interfere in any way with long term AYP practice.

The procedure sections the stomach into two part. The new smaller upper part, called the pouch, is routed around (bypasses) the lower part (which is left in place) in order to connect with the small intestine.

Thank you.

newpov
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:59:42 AM by AYPforum »

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:45:04 AM »
Hi Newpov,

Most of us here are not doctors (although there are one or two knocking around). Maybe if you explain in more detail what the procedure is and how your digestive system will end up working after the op, it would be easier to advise.

My initial thought is that it should not make any difference, but I'd like to know more before saying I am sure.

Christi

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:18:36 AM »
Hi Brian,

I am not a doctor, but I do have quite extensive medical knowledge stemming from my former love from drugs, creating drug cocktails and an intense desire to understand drug action.  From my understanding of AYP and of the human body, the only real issue I could see a gastric bypass surgery effecting in your practice is the production of "soma" and it's ability to rise upwards in the gastro intestinal track.  I don't know a whole lot about gastro intestinal bypass surgery, but I think I understand that after the stomach is seperated the two sections are attached together by a small section of small intestine, correct?  If this is true, this might nullify my potential issue.  It may make it more difficult for the soma to rise, but it should still be able to work it's way upwards.  
But again, I should stress that I am not a doctor, and my understanding of AYP and the whole enlightenment process is still limited as well, and everything I just said could be completely off base.  Maybe it would help if you take Christi's suggestion and post a little more about the specifics of the surgery, and I will try to read up a little more on the soma thing to make sure that it actually NEEDS to rise up, and we'll see what comes up.  Best of luck buddy!

In Love,
CarsonZi

P.S. Might also help to state the reasons why you need the surgery so that you can state (for yourself and us) exactly what it is that is making you even consider the surgery in the first place. (Always helps to write out the pros and cons in any major decision.  Clarifies things yourself)[:)]

newpov

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:21:26 AM »
Gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y

In recent years, better clinical understanding of procedures combining restrictive and metabolic approaches has increased the choices of effective weight loss surgery for thousands of patients. By adding the metabolic component, food is delayed in mixing with bile and pancreatic juices that aid in the absorption of nutrients. The chemical or metabolic change that occurs with bypassing the body of the stomach and the first part of the small intestine results in an early sense of fullness, combined with a sense of satisfaction that reduces the desire to eat.

According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and the National Institutes of Health, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is the current gold standard procedure for weight loss surgery. It is one of the most frequently performed weight loss procedures in the United States.

In this procedure, stapling creates a small (15 to 20cc) stomach pouch. The remainder of the stomach is not removed, but is completely stapled shut and divided from the stomach pouch. The outlet from this newly formed pouch empties directly into the lower portion of the jejunum, bypassing some nutrient absorption and adding the metabolic aspect of this operation. This is done by dividing the small intestine just beyond the duodenum for the purpose of bringing it up and constructing a connection with the newly formed stomach pouch.

The other end is connected into the side of the Roux limb of the intestine creating the "Y" shape that gives the technique its name. The length of either segment of the intestine can be increased to produce lower or higher levels of malabsorption.

Advantages

* The average excess weight loss after the Roux-en-Y procedure is generally higher in patients committed to their care than with purely restrictive procedures.

* One year after surgery, weight loss can average 77 percent of excess body weight.

* Studies show that after 10 to 14 years, 50 to 60 percent of excess body weight loss has been maintained by some patients.

* A 2000 study of 500 patients showed that 96 percent of certain associated health conditions studied (back pain, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes and depression) were improved or resolved.

Risks

* Because the duodenum is bypassed, poor absorption of iron and calcium can result in the lowering of total body iron and a predisposition to iron deficiency anemia. This is a particular concern for patients who experience chronic blood loss during excessive menstrual flow or bleeding hemorrhoids. Women, already at risk for osteoporosis that can occur after menopause, should be aware of the potential for heightened bone calcium loss.

* Bypassing the duodenum has caused metabolic bone disease in some patients, resulting in bone pain, loss of height, humped back and fractures of the ribs and hip bones. All of the deficiencies mentioned above, however, can be managed through proper diet and vitamin supplements.

* A chronic anemia due to Vitamin B12 deficiency may occur. The problem can usually be managed with Vitamin B12 pills or injections.

* A condition known as "dumping syndrome " can occur as the result of rapid emptying of stomach contents into the small intestine. This is sometimes triggered when too much sugar or large amounts of food are consumed. While generally not considered to be a serious risk to your health, the results can be extremely unpleasant and can include nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness and, on occasion, diarrhea after eating. Some patients are unable to eat any form of sweets after surgery.

* In some cases, the effectiveness of the procedure may be reduced if the stomach pouch is stretched and/or if it is initially left larger than 15-30cc.

* The bypassed portion of the stomach, duodenum and segments of the small intestine cannot be easily visualized using X-ray or endoscopy if problems such as ulcers, bleeding or malignancy should occur.

newpov

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:55:21 AM »
Carson,

Glad to oblige:
quote:
How do you personally account for why you have not been able to lose weight?

Both my psych meds (risperidone, valproate) constantly pressure me to gain weight, but there are no good alternatives. Also, when I diet, voracious appetite always comes back with slips in portion control (lapses into "I blew it, oh what the hell" eating). Eating too fast. Not drinking enough water? Modern "setpoint" theory makes sense to me—the two-way hormonal communication messaging system that links my gut and brain evidently operates subconsciously and I think this system must be sabotaging my conscious efforts to keep weight off. My fat burn rate has gone down with aging and loss of muscle mass.

What is motivating you to seek this type of intervention for weight control?

Although eating and activity patterns have stayed roughly the same over time, my BMI has been growing at an ever increasing rate during the past 2-3 years. I am alarmed and believe my hormonal gut-to-brain messaging or communication system is out of whack.

I know of no nonsurgical treatment for making the needed hormonal correction. Another reason why I can't be optimistic about further entirely nonsurgical treatment approaches is that according to the NIH 1991 Consensus Conference, "Dietary weight reduction with or without behavioral modification or drug therapy had an unacceptably high incidence of weight regain in the morbidly obese within 2 years after maximal weight loss."

If a drug that is safe for me on a long-term basis were available to change my satiety and appetite, then I could more easily alter my relationship to food. But I cannot use sibutramine, addictive amphetamines or the centrally-acting stimulant phentermine. As yet no "ghrelin antagonist" drug is available. However, gastric bypass does perform this same "ghrelin antagonist" function (see Cummings, 2002 New England Journal of Medicine, pp. 1623-1630). The surgery also does not have the harmful side effects of drugs, and years of experience have proven it to be a safe means for altering the gut/brain messaging for a permanent lowering of the fat setpoint.

I hope the surgery will work to offset the continual weight gain that is being induced continually by my psych medications. I hope the surgery will act quickly to relieve my severe back pain (X-rays showed spinal osteoarthritis in June 2008). I hope the surgery will resolve my obstructive sleep apnea. I believe that adding surgery to the mix of supervised nutrition, exercise, and behavioral modification is a necessity long term. I'm confident this surgery will be the first step toward a longer, better, and healthier life.

The surgery should reduce various metabolic risk factors—according to a study presented on June 18, 2008 at the annual meeting of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery by Dr. Nicolas Christou, director of bariatric surgery at McGill University, patients who underwent weight loss surgery were 76 percent less likely to get cancer for the 5 years following their surgery compared to people who did not.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:20:41 AM »
I don't know man...This is a tough one to me.  I have never suffered from gaining weight, in fact quite the opposite.  Even on heroin/methadone (which decreases metabolism considerably) I could not gain weight.  So it is a little hard for me to relate here.  But from a strictly medical perspective it seems semi-logical.  But in my personal opinion here, the problem of obesity is relatively new.  Which means that the cause of the obesity crisis is farily new as well.  In your particular case I think you are attributing your weight gain to your psych meds risperidone and valproate which is very common.  This compunds the issue.  You will have to explain why you are taking the meds I'm afraid, as this seems to be the underlying reason for the weight gain.  If you did not have to take the meds, you would not be continually gaining weight. (or at least that's how it sounds to me.)  So the problem really isn't "how to do I stop gaining weight", but how do I get off of the psych meds.  Again this is tricky.  I'm not going to start suggesting how to go about doing THAT, until you tell me more.  If you don't want to post that type of info on the open forum, feel free to send another email, and we can chat in private.  From MY perspective on the situation, Gastro Intestinal Bypass surgery sounds like a bandaid to a larger problem, and not a viable solution.  Just my opnion though, take it as such please.

In Love,
CarsonZi

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:23:23 AM »
Hi Newpov,

I agree with CarsonZi, the only major yogic process which this could interfere with is the production of soma, amrita and ojas.

In fact, the physical part of the production of these essences ends in the stomach. Soma rises up from the stomach in a de-materialized form (in the pranic body). Amrita is produced in a dematerialized form as is ojas. Ojas only re-materializes when it leaves the physical body, and de-materializes again around the level of the lower face/ throat, when it is re-absorbed by the body in pranic form. This is covered by Yogani elsewhere in this forum. So I would say there is no need for concern.

See Yogani's posts in this thread:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3204

On a seperate issue, using surgery for weight loss is normally a last resort procedure (at least it is here in the U.K.). Have you considered all other options carefully?

Christi

Michael Beloved

• http://www.meditationtime.nexo.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »
Gastro Intestinal Bypass surgery sounds like a bandaid to a larger problem, and not a viable solution. Just my opnion though, take it as such please.

Remark
I agree with Carson that this is a band aid to a larger problem. Thing is, that sometimes one has to use a band aid because one has no other method and one has to act to get some sort of imaginary or real relief or at least divert oneself for the time being.
The gastro system when it was first popularized  was touted as if it would actually cure the problem but after about 3 or four years, people who took it found that they regained the weight. The system took that long to regrow the stomach size. This means that the genetic basis of the problem, as well as the psychological basis of it, was not removed in fact.

That genetic and psychologically energy was still there and built back a system of digestion which was consistent with its intentions.
Thus one has to study that  and find a method for fixing that. As far as drugs which promote obesity, one should also study that carefully and try to find alternate medicines which might not cause that. But in nature we find that when we do one thing in one corner, nature takes an action in another corner to offset what we do . And as soon as we go into that corner to fix the offset, nature switches to do something else in another corner. So it is like playing cat and mouse. Nature versus man, man outsmarting nature. Who will win in the end?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:39:14 AM by Michael Beloved »

newpov

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for weighing in with expressions of concern!

markern

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 02:48:18 AM »
I have seen a study which showed great success in regulating the activity of the thyroid gland and the thyroid gland is in large part responsible for regulating your weight. People who had realy serious problems with extreemly over or under active thyroid glands were able to get them back to more or less normal by doing the right yoga postures every day. Particulary shoulderstand, bridge and Bow were helpfull. It seems that the difference from a normal yoga practice which to some extent helps with normalizing weight, was just doing more poses to balance the throat chakra which more or less corresponds to the thyroid.

Her are some links I found bu googling yoga and thyroid. There are lots more pages that write about it so google it yourself.

I would suggest doing your own research to find a routine that particulary addresse the thyroid but at the same time includes enough postures working on other parts of the body to keep physically and energeticaly balanced (and using lots of blankets in shoulderstand to protect the neck) and giving such a program a couple of months to try out to see if it actualy helps or not. After that I would consider other options.

I don`t know if any of this is news to you but it at least it`s how I would have gone about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ghe6H5kEw

http://www.yogawiz.com/health-issues-and-yoga/yoga-for-thyroid.html

AYPforum

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:59:42 AM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement