Author Topic: Strange sensation in bed.Overpurification symptom?  (Read 831 times)

thibaud05

Strange sensation in bed.Overpurification symptom?
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:27:04 AM »
Hi,

On a whole I've never felt so good since I have diligently practiced my twice daily meditation coupled with once daily light asanas last spring.

Energy feels good, and I am able to relieve considerable pressure that had built up over the past 5 years in my brain due to an early sudden awakening in the head.

But recently its been getting tricky to get to sleep.  As soon (ie instantly) as I lie down in bed and close my eyes, I feel a sort of energy surge in the head and upper body...makes me disy and lose sense of spatial dimension..I feel sucked up somewhere and I resist it. Its the feeling of being sucked up in a void.
First time I experienced it was back in march, and I resisted it by skipping sleep a few days.
Luckily this sensation is most often short-lived as soon as I manage to center my attention and let go completely (relax my body).

Does someone relate to this and perhaps can give me a clue as to what is happening in this process and how to balance it optimaly ? [:)]

It doesnt really seem to me to be an over purification symptom because there is no pain or trauma, its just new to me and destabilizing.

Thank you ! [:)]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:35:32 AM by thibaud05 »

Hunter

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 03:38:12 AM »
It stopped happening to me once I started meditating. Keep doing what you are doing; it will subside.

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »
I think it wouldn't hurt to ground more.  Walk.  Do kung fu or some kind of leg heavy martial art.  There are tons of good posts here on grounding.

thibaud05

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »
Thank you Hunter and Scott.  I think I will be extra careful and do more grounding as you have suggested, and self pace my asanas for a while.  I am quite new to asanas and I think its probably wise to stick with the twice daily meditations, and relax a bit on my asana routine though coupling both has been incredibly benefiting for me.[:)]

Divineis

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
I reckon it might be a case of "hypnagogics". They're some sometimes freaky sensations that basically hypnotize you off to sleep. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the falling feeling is pretty popular (or that might of been during sleep paralysis). But anyway, to fall asleep quickly, the trick is basically to allow yourself to get caught up in the "trance". Though a certain level awareness works against this in a way, which is why I'm thinking if it's hypnagogics, this might very well be meditation related.  

I've even felt my body change shapes during pre-sleep hypnagogics. I became a yoda like creature once haha... I was trying to enter my sleep consciously for lucid dreaming, though lost lucidity (but was still somewhat aware) the moment a dream came up. It might be interesting for you to see how much you can let go (allow the hypnagogic trance to mostly take place) while still maintaining a very subtle level of self awareness. Allowing your vision to wander on it's own is what I found to be best for this (the hypnagogic experiences\\trance seem to mostly go away the moment you consciously "look" at something).  

It might very well be something different, but I thought I'd leave you with the above :). It's a neat thing to get into. Though an almost impossible exercise of "allowing" while keeping only a very subtle level of self consciousness\\awareness going.