Author Topic: I hope this is a phase :-(  (Read 2604 times)

yogibear

I hope this is a phase :-(
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
Hi Anthony, good to see you again.

quote:
Anthony wrote:

the weird thing is, i still have yoga in my mind throughout the day. when i am driving, washing dishes, conversing or whatever i still try to maintain, when i remember, a centered and yogic attitude. it still seems to be a part of me, yet i dont feel connected anymore.

See? You 've been infected with the yoga virus and there is no cure. This is yoga practice, too. Just keep favoring the ayp practice within your comfortable capacity. Just like favoring the mantra during meditation with gentle persuasion in the direction of your ultimate goal.

Maybe that means you don't practice sometimes or for a time.

Follow the rules gracefully and bend the rules gracefully. I don't worry too much when I miss a practice session. What for? I just practice again. It has become a settled purpose and I probably a better estimation of effort and the order of magnitude of the ultimate goal I am trying to achieve now.

Of course, Tolle would say I am postponing the achievement of that goal by trying to achieve it and that when I stop trying I will achieve it. But I don't agree with that completely.

I was in the state of not practicing meditation for about 30 years. But I never for a day didn't think about yoga and such. Just like you are talking about. I read and thought alot during that time. And I wanted to want to meditate. But I didn't really want to because if I truly did, I would have. Truth is, I had stronger desires pulling me in different a direction. But the yoga was always there. It dominated my life but in a kind of distorted way.

From a broader perpective, 30 years is not so long to take a break.

But then about the time I happened on ayp, a bunch of things came together in my mind and my life and one of them is meditation is a priority and it is going to become a permanent habit. I got my priorities straight. So I don't care about missing because it has become a settled purpose and I know it is just going to happen.

Well, this is how I dealt with it. Don't know if it helps you any.

You are in a better position than me to not waste so much time. You have this support group at young age which is based on a good model and has a wise selection of importances as a structural frame work.

Just keep working in the right direction.

Good luck and best wishes, yb.

cosmic_troll

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 03:58:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

This may seem like a common complaint, and honestly I hope it is. Even so, I would appreciate learning if others have had this happen.

Hi Anthony. What you describe has happened to me as well. I would imagine that most of us here have experienced similar doubts and plateaus in our practice. I say this not to dismiss your feelings, but to reassure you that it does happen and many overcome it. Even Jesus was tested [;)]

Although I began practicing AYP about 4 years ago, the actual time I've practiced probably adds up to 2 years. I've gone months at a time not practicing, exactly because of doubt and periods of "not much happening". During such periods of not practicing, I eventually realize how much better life is when I am practicing, and how much I miss the practice.

You can't un-take the red pill [:)]

Sometimes we have to go without something in order to fully appreciate what we had. This applies to a lot of things in Life, not just spiritual practice.

I'm glad you've chosen to return to the 2x a day practice. My suggestion is that you continue with it, even when not much is happening. You may not get a lot of "highs" or scenery-type experiences, but Life does get better with these practices.

As Jim said, Peace and Happiness are more than enough. And while I don't get that 24/7, I feel that AYP leads us there eventually.

Wishing you success and progress in your practice!

cosmic

yogibear

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 12:28:51 AM »
Hi Anthony,

I copied this from Yogani's ebook Self Inquiry:

quote:
First, it is good to know that in our essential nature
we are unbounded pure bliss consciousness, and that all
we are doing in practices is unfolding what we already
are in our daily life. It is also good to know that this
will lead to many practical benefits. So, it is a
worthwhile endeavor to be on the path.

Next, it is also good to know that there is a natural
progression in our spiritual unfoldment which occurs
over time, usually over a long time, except in the rare
cases of people who are born near enlightenment.

In spite of what we may have heard, enlightenment is not
an overnight event for most people. There is no getting
around this, because each of us must go through a
process of inner purification and opening, and it takes
time, even with the best of teachings. Along the way,
there are grades and stages, and the journey never ends,
even for those who are very advanced.

Best, yb.

VIL

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 02:58:32 AM »
Great wisdom from all and I would like to say that my entire post was a metaphor of the paradox of samayama.  The dropping down of intention/bhakti, as I am sure Jim was quite aware, as shown from the absolute beauty of his post:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1189

And also from the wisdom of Shanti, here:

quote:
shanti: You really cannot control the outcome in samyama.. you can have an intent and let go, trusting life will know what to do with your intent. That is why in group samyama, we just take the name of the person and let it go in silence, and not try and get too mindy with details on what and how to heal the recipient. It's like praying, but leaving it to God to come up with the outcome.. it's more of "thy (God/Life/Truth) will be done".. not "my will be done". This is the reason samyama is self-regulating, as long as you are doing samyama with attachment to outcome it will not work.. it's when you can drop the mind attachment, you will get the answers.
And the further wisdom is described here by Shanti:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3420

It's like that, anthony, but there really and truly is no fear to be had of an "ego death".  It's just a process of percieving things differently.  That's all.  Nothing special.  Nothing new under the sun.  Although, it does become special in a different way later on.  (Not special, yet special).  A paradox.  You don't forget who you once were or experience anything foreign like that.  It's realizing the beauty of yourself and that of others.

As you continue to practice yoga or another path ('there are as many paths as there are breaths'...) it will lead to greater insight.  Whether this is done consciously/unconsciously, or unconsciously/consciously, is dependent on each person's development, as yogani explains in his book (from yogibear's quote)... until both ends meet...

Insight is like bubbles rising from the bottom of the ocean, although is not necessary to hold your breath to retrieve these bubbles, it may require dexterity developing patience while treading water.  The same applies to practice.

I'm annoyed with myself on completion of this post... Sometimes it's better to be quiet, regardless of what you know or don't know... allow others the joy of experience... that's the wisdom I recieved today... After this post, I will work on being quiet...  allowing things to be as they are...

With love,

[B)]

VIL

yogibear

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 04:23:01 AM »
Hi Anthony,

Regarding ego death, here is a quote, a mantram, actually, from Yogi Ramacharaka's book Raja Yoga:

"I am an entity.

My mind is my instrument of expression.

I exist independent of my mind and am not dependent upon it for existence or being.

I am master of my mind, not its slave.

I can set aside my sensations, emotions, passions, desires, intellectual faculties and all the rest of my mental collection of tools as not I things....... and yet something remains.

And that something is I, which cannot be set aside by me for it is my very self, my only self, my real self.

That which remains when all that may be set aside has been set aside is the I, myself, eternal, constant, unchanging."

Best, yb.

jillatay

• http://www.jillatay.com
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »
Yogibear,

I also took about 30 years off from meditation.  Then I found AYP.  It's a long story[:I] better not to go into here but am interested in what happened with you.  Was your previous experience with meditation good bad or indifferent?  Don't answer if you prefer or write me off list.  There aren't too many old timers to consult with.

Sincerely,
Jill

yogibear

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 02:21:24 AM »
Hi Jillatay,

I don't mind talking about it.  I can tell you "my story." My previous experience with meditation was fantastic.  I regard it as the pivotal event of my life. I experienced a copernican revolution in my consciousness.

But I don't think I was ready for it.

My analysis of what happened with it is that, combined with the destruction of my family when I was 8 yoa, and the resulting distortion of my personality and socialization process, it took me about 30 years and a few hard knocks to become somewhat normal again. [:)]

I think that it has been a kind of purification and that I have spent the last 30 years playing catch up. Still some catching up to do.

I think I have a pretty good handle on things now. At least a better one. I was lucky to have two great mentors in my life, my yoga teacher and my chiropractic teacher.  They were both like fathers to me.

I don't know where I would be without their kindness, generosity, influence and guidance.

Reading Yogani's book on Self Inquiry is confirming some conclusions I have made about life and clarifying some aspects that are still a bit muddy. But I ran into some of the pitfalls that Yogani talks about in his book.

An essential confusion for me has been the reconciliation of different teachings regarding the nature of myself. You have the the ego is not you and is bad and should be weakened crowd like Tolle and Krishnamurti and then the ego is you and is good and should be strengthened crowd represented by Ramacharaka and Y and H.

Based on my own experience and upon alot of reading, thinking and observing, I go with the ego is you and is good crowd for now. I am certainly not the lsat word on the subject. My own direct experience with meditation was an incredible strengthening of myself in a very good way.

I experienced myself as a little star, a sun, a nucleus of concentrated spiritual energy and awareness, independent of and separate from everything. I was completely I.

In reading Yogani's book, I see that I was engaging in Self Inquiry in the way he recommends at the time with good effect. But then I read all of Krishnamurti's books. And that gave me some spiritual indigestion. It confused me because the message I took away from him is that I was bad and should be gotten rid of.

This was not a good move on my part because I don't think that I had the necessary personality development at the time to critically analyze it and keep it in perspective. And I think my self inquiry became non-relational to use Yogani's term.

I became more introverted, less social and less assertive. I became disengaged. I was going thru the motions. Life developed a kind of unreality to me even tho I was functional.

Now I know that life is very real (that might seem kind of weird) and this should only occur 2x per day for a short period of time.

To me, Tolle and Krishnamurti teach essentially the same thing but Tolle is nicer and less critical (not blaming them for anything).

There is no place for self image and self esteem in their teaching.  It is undesirable or unspiritual.

Tony Robbins puts it nicely when he says you have the "I am" crowd versus the "I can" crowd.

Which to me simply means the ego or witness in its static and dynamic phases.

The funny thing is that the teachers of the ego is undesirable and not you crowd often have very strong egos. [:)]

In meditation 30 years ago, I experienced an incredible strengthening of myself. I went from a dispersed and distracted state to an extremely concentrated and focused state with unbroken presense.

In the sky of my mind, I was the sun.

Thoughts were simply objects in a 6th sensory field and I was similtaneously aware of the other 5 as well.

They were thoughts about the past and future and nothing more. They had no reality other than that.  There was only now. Unbroken presense.

Juxtaposing the ego, witness or spirit part of myself with the "John Smith" part of myself has been on the front burner, more or less for a while. Presently, I see no difference between the two. They are just two different states of the same the same thing, me, now. [:)]

So I am not too concerned about it any more. My sense of presense is there, more or less, regardless.

That is the essential thing. Meditation and being fully engaged in life on all levels.

But now, I am 40 pages or so thru Yogani's book and I am sure that that it will continue to increase my understanding of things.

That is a kind of summary of the last 30 or so years since the big bang.

Best, yb.

jillatay

• http://www.jillatay.com
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 05:31:23 AM »
Yb,

One thing about having had a direct experience of, let us call it "gnosis," is you stop looking for outside validation for what is true.  Well I keep looking but if when I find someone, like Yogani or yourself, I hold what is taught up to my own inner measuring stick. [8D]  So I guess I am not really looking for answers so much as for fellowship, spiritual buddies along the path. [:D] And I have learned a lot from those buddies too.  

Thanks for sharing,
Jill

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 05:18:43 PM »
Hi YB

quote:
Based on my own experience and upon alot of reading, thinking and observing, I go with the ego is you and is good crowd for now. I am certainly not the lsat word on the subject. My own direct experience with meditation was an incredible strengthening of myself in a very good way.

Sounds like you got confused between self and Self. They do sound a bit similar, and all the letters are the same, so I can see where the confusion could lie.

Only one is real, and the other is not.

By the way, who are Y and H?

yogibear

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 12:40:06 AM »
Hi Jill,

Yb,

One thing about having had a direct experience of, let us call it "gnosis," is you stop looking for outside validation for what is true.

I agree. Direct experience trumps everything.

It is the accurate conceptualization of it and its significance that can be a little tricky.

Well I keep looking but if when I find someone, like Yogani or yourself,

I wouldn't lump me together with Yogani. He is a sessioned professional. I am a rookie.

I hold what is taught up to my own inner measuring stick.

Me, too.

So I guess I am not really looking for answers so much as for fellowship, spiritual buddies along the path.  And I have learned a lot from those buddies too.

I look for both. I am a perpetual student.

Thanks for sharing,
Jill

Best, yb.

yogibear

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 12:44:35 AM »
Hi Christi,

quote:
Sounds like you got confused between self and Self.

How do you mean? I started a new topic on this.

Thanks, yb.

AYPforum

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 02:54:57 AM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »
Hi YB:

quote:
Hi Christi,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like you got confused between self and Self.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you mean? I started a new topic on this.

Thanks, yb.

Thanks for starting a new topic: very respectful. [:)]
Just adding the topic link for reference:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3429

Christi

yogibear

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 12:39:20 AM »
Thanks, Christi. I will check out the link. Best, yb.

Oh, just checked it out. It is the new thread. [:D]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:02:13 AM by yogibear »

anthony574

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 04:30:10 AM »
Well, an update

I was "back on track" somewhat for a couple of days and then fell off again. I really thought about it and realized that even during these dry spells I am not regressed. I realized that although I am not walking around spiritually high I am still many times more content than I was pre-AYP. with this in mind I decided to not force myself. I started just doing a stripped down sadhana of just meditation and ill see where that takes me.
i have been going through a period the past year of intense indecision and restlessness about my life and my direction. i am pretty young (turning 21) and bailed out of college a few years ago. since then i am living in my grandparents house in baltimore and though i have come to be somewhat at peace with my environment and situation i have felt overwhelming urges to break out of this stagnation. true spiritually and personally i have come a long way, but i feel like my outside world needs some change to accompany the inside. every few weeks i have an overwhelming urge to dramtaically alter my lifestyle (peace corps, organic volunteering, ashrams, buddhist monastary, go to massage school, move to florida, move to europe, move to india, ect) the phase kicks in very hard and then mellows out and i appreciate my life again...but not for long. anyway, during a meditation a week ago i had this overwhelming urge to go to school for massage - something i have been wanting to do for a long time but havent wanted to fork out  the money for loans. it felt so right and i decided since that i am going to make that my goal in the next couple of months. this will help a lot of areas in my life because right now i am living in my family's house paying very low rent and not working much because i can. it is a comfy stagnant swamp im stuck in right now and going to school will shake things up and afterwards ill have the money and resources to begin a new chapter in my life - to enter the holistic health field, meet people like myself, travel, ect.

anyway, the point of all that is to raise the question - could my situation right now on the outside be affecting the one inside? i know there is virtue in being content with the present...but what of moving forward? i had this feeling "ok anthony, its great that youre doing yoga and whatnot...but you cant forget about the outside world. you are 20 years old and still living in your grandparents attic, you hate working 'menial' jobs and talk all the time time about how you want to go to school and follow that path. you inherited the personality of someone who doesnt want to take the step forward to do what needs to be done and all the yoga in the world isnt going to change that."

so i feel right now it is best for me to keep up AYP, though only as much as my will seems to "tolerate", and start for the first time in my life taking the steps to change my situation in life.

what do you guys think of that?