Author Topic: Sinus/Congestion Issues vs. Meditation  (Read 3872 times)

Jim and His Karma

Sinus/Congestion Issues vs. Meditation
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:24:48 AM »
Meditation seems to have completely fixed my sinus/congestion problems. Can anyone else report the same? It'd be particularly useful to know if anyone has sinus issues in spite of having meditated for a while?

Richard

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:16:04 AM »
quote:
Meditation seems to have completely fixed my sinus/congestion problems. Can anyone else report the same? It'd be particularly useful to know if anyone has sinus issues in spite of having meditated for a while?

I have had lifetime problems with sinus/congestion Jim even to the point of being hospitalised once many years ago for a forced sinus wash out uurrrggg horrible. The problem persisted until about two years ago but completely disappeared shortly after I started Amaroli so I put it down to that but maybe it was the med or perhaps a combination of both [:)]

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »
Thanks, Richard, and congrats!

I'm wondering about how long were you doing meditation before you started amaroli? And about how long were you doing amaroli before the sinus problem disappeared (i.e. does "shortly" mean days, weeks, or months)?

Richard

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:03:31 AM »
Hi Jim I joined AYP and started med around August2005 I started Amaroli in Jan2006

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1193#7621

The sinus problem was making my breathing exercises near to impossible at the time so I was having to take constant Steroid medication to keep it at bay. I stopped the medication at the same time as I started Amaroli...the sinus problem never returned.

tallis

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:01:41 AM »
Hi Jim,
I can say the same.  First, jala neti made a huge improvement for me - and I'm sure continues to help. But, now that you mention it, I've not had any sinus problems at all since taking up meditation.

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:31:04 AM »
Thanks, tallis and Richard!

Anyone who's had sinus problems that a few months of AYP meditation HASN'T helped?

alok gupta

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:37:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Dear Every One:

I am talking from my personal experience. It was on 5/14/2008 and time was 4.00 a.m. I had started to feel some irritation in my throat and it was followed by cough. I got up from my bed, did a little rinsing of the mouth, but throat irritaion did not stop. Suddenly i had the urge of meditation. After breathing deeply for some time, I started concentration on a dot point with my eyes closed. I continue to observe my deep breathing and tried to avoid any distraction of my mind. At that point I remembered Heart Sutra which talks about "Emptiness" and how "Aviloketeshwra" (Buddhist god of mercy) preached this mantra of Emptiness. Heart Sutra preaches that form is emptiness and emptiness is form and so are volition, consciousness, and nouns. In short, one must stay away from all forms of distrations and focus on emtiness.

Once I achieved concentration on a dot point, I brought all my energies upward, first to the bridge of nose and then to the head. I felt at that time I could control my sinus very clearly. I took a deep breath constantly observing clearing of sinuses. I took approximately 8-10 seconds for this last step, and lo my sinus was cleared and I did not have any cough. I slept after that and had never any congestion in my nose after that. I do this ritual of meditation every day, and I recommend every one of you to follow this procedure. It is beyond belief. I told my friends and every one was surprised.

I can say with confidence that same meditation procedure can be used for host of other problems, and I am working on those. I am 62 years old and my eyesight is better than ever with meditation alone.

Buddha said "Be your own light" and at another place Buddha said "Donot follow my words blindly, experience yourself."

So my dear friends, please remember what Buddha said, and let you experience the joy and benefits of meditation.

With Metta

Alok

YogaIsLife

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 10:12:31 PM »
quote:
Anyone who's had sinus problems that a few months of AYP meditation HASN'T helped?

Hi,

I've been meditating for 2 months and I found out I have sinus problems! Actually I was so unaware in my life that I didn't notice I was breathing mainly (or solely) through the mouth and after reading a book on yoga found that mouth breathing is very unhealthy and was giving me all this problems (low energy, etc.)

Meditation still hasn't descongestined my sinus but it did brought attention to it! I ordered a Neti pot already and hope that will help. I want to breath through my nose all the time!!

Steve

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 03:03:51 AM »
Hi YogaIsLife,

I mentioned the following in another post regarding sinus problems.  

For those that have sinus problems that neti has not corrected, one natural over the counter product, a nose spray called XClear has helped some. It is a saline solution that contains xylitol. The bacteria feed on the xylitol. The xylitol particle is too big for the bacteria to digest so they basically eat themselves into extinction. It has helped some folks where a simple saline solution did not.

There is also another product carried in health stores called Advantage Sinus Aid. Distributed by Wisdom of the Ages, it is a saline solution that also contains Advantage Liquid Concentrate (ie. ALC) an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral solution that contains grapefruit seed extract, green tea extract and jasmine tree extract. My fiance who teaches kindergarten and has had sinus difficulties, uses both of the products I described during flu season when alot of her children are sick to help keep healthy herself and they have proved very helpful.

Love and Light,
Steve

YogaIsLife

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:03:46 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for that. I will continue with salt solution and see how it goes but it is stubborn this blockage. I would be interested in those products but they probably have another name here in Portugal. I went to a health store today and they adminiestred me some very potent drops in my nose. It is a weird name but could e related to the ones you mentioned. It did make a lot of stuff come out but I am still blocked. It was very expensive that product so I'll continue with the salt solution for now (waiting for my neti pot). Maybe I will also contact my doctor and have a scan done on me to see if there is any physical congestion just to make sure. I would truly love to breath clearly through my nostrils one day :)