Author Topic: bandha and hypertension  (Read 1058 times)

indian_seeker

bandha and hypertension
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:31:05 AM »
Namaste All

I am recently diagnosed with hypetension 140/90. its 120/80 with a beta blocker 10 mg dose and anti anxiety drug .

can i still practise sarvangasana and uddiyana bandha. thanks

scottfitzgerald

bandha and hypertension
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:48:26 AM »
Good question...high blood pressure is what brought me to meditation in the first place, and I dropped my top number 30 points in about three weeks.

With that said, I'm not an expert in the physiological changes during certain bandhas, but you are for sure in the right place to find out.

Best of luck.

LittleTurtle

bandha and hypertension
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:51 AM »
Perhaps Yogani would be the best one to reply to this but here's my take. You said you are recently diagnosed and after medication BP is now 120/80. This is good. I will tell you what I would do. If it were me I would wait a few weeks to see how BP and other things stabilize. It is more or less common to do some adjusting with regard to BP medication from time to time. You are taking a beta blocker which suggests coronary artery disease perhaps? (be aware that beta blockers can cause dizziness with sudden change in position i.e. asanas) I hope your MD has suggested diet and appropriate exercise?  Once you are consistantly within the good BP range you should have no problem with carefully doing the bandhas and some of the other methods that come with precautions. BUT CLEAR THIS WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. If your doctor does not have an educated opinion regarding yoga practices with regard to your diagnosis then find one who does. The main thing is to first make sure you are quite stable with the blood pressure and your doctors regimen. Good luck.[:)]

yogani

• AYP Plus
bandha and hypertension
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:21:51 AM »
Hi Indian Seeker:

Here is a topic that reviews yoga and hypertension from several angles, including natural preventive means:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1977

With regard to shoulder stand and uddiyana bandha, and asanas in general, if the blood pressure is running high, better to go easy, especially with inversion postures. That doesn't mean stop physical practices. It only means not to overdo them. Self-pace as necessary.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Jim and His Karma

bandha and hypertension
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:51:41 AM »
FWIW, Iyengar yoga insists on no inverted (upside down) postures at all with high blood pressure. Of course, Iyengar is not the only authority....

LittleTurtle

bandha and hypertension
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »
Yes, but those are precautions for when BP is high, not controlled. Once BP is controlled to a safe level and stable, then one may procede carefully.

Victor

bandha and hypertension
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »
Seeker, your blood pressure is slightly high. I would not consider you falling into the high blood pressure catagory especially since it has dropped with medication. Those concerns are for more serious cases. I would continue practice