Author Topic: Cupping and Dry Brushing  (Read 1710 times)

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Cupping and Dry Brushing
« on: August 17, 2006, 07:51:59 AM »
I just recently became aware of the practice of cupping.  People who've had it done swear by it.  I think there is truly something to it, but I don't believe that you have to actually do the specific practice of cupping.  What it seems to be about is causing over perfusion, and a release of healing hormones and chemicals in the area.

I don't think it's good because you have to use those healing hormones in order to heal the wounds, but something close to cupping would be ideal.  I've been brushing my skin all over my body, and it seems to accomplish the same task without the injury to the skin.

Has anyone had any experience with cupping, so they can lend some insights?  Or experience with dry brushing of the skin?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:52:40 AM by Scott »

snake

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:47:54 PM »
Scott I have Psoriasis and the dry skin brushing really helps flatten the scales,also I beleive it stimulates the lymphatic system greatly.
The cupping is something that is part of the spring forest dvd but I also did it a lot when I was heavily into macrobiotics as part of there energy healing regime

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:08:27 AM »
Are the two related, or do you think cupping has a different effect entirely?

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 05:31:06 AM »
Here's a link on oxygen delivery...

http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u10/u1003_01.htm

snake

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:22:13 AM »
Scott,
Im not sure:)

But I like standing Chi Gung

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 12:36:48 PM »
I wrote a small book for my friend on why he should be dry brushing, after experiencing good results and good research on it.  Anyone interested in how the kundalini works should read it.[;)]

Why You Should Brush Your Skin

By Scott ***(edited for security)***, US Army 91W10, EMT-B, 2006

This small book is dedicated to my good friend, "The Chef", who nourishes people.

Preface

quote:
Scott, what is this all about?

Dry brushing.  It is supposed to make you healthy.  It's usually referred to as a panacea, which means "cure all".

quote:
Does it really cure all and make you healthy?

The only way to tell if something works is to try it out.  If there are no results, then it's probably not a worthwhile thing to be doing.  Reading a paper on a subject brings no real knowledge.  Actually doing it, and learning about it first hand is the only way to know.  "The proof is in the pudding."

quote:
How do you do it?

It's simple.  Your skin as well as the brush should be dry.  Start at your feet and brush in a circular motion.  Move up the leg to the hips and buttocks, then to the navel area and solar plexus.  Brush your hands, and move up the arms to the shoulders.  Brush your head, starting at the neck in the sides and back, moving up and over the head and over the face and down the front of the neck.  Then brush towards your heart on your torso.  Avoid the nipples, armpits, and lips.  Try to cover as much surface area as you can.

quote:
How long do I do it?

Your skin should become warm and reddish.  That's a good sign that you've brushed that area well enough.

quote:
Scientifically, how does this work?

Here is a book explaining it...

Chapter 1:
Shock - A Matter of Life and Death

quote:
What is shock?

***Picture inserted here***

This child is in shock.  It isn't as peaceful as it looks in the picture.  In fact, the child is probably a couple of minutes away from dying, or has already died.  Shock is the process of the body dying.

Notice the blue color of the face.  This abnormal skin color is caused by a lack of blood flow.  When a person is dying, their blood goes away from their skin and into the heart, lungs and brain in order to save the body.  These three organs are the primary ones we need to survive.  They are the vital organs.  Other organs, such as the kidneys, skin, and digestive tract, aren't as necessary for life.

You've heard the story of the drowning person.  The lifeguard sees a person splashing, and then go under and not come back up.  "Oh crap," says the lifeguard as he dives into the water.  He finds the person drowning, and tries to bring him up to the surface...but the person ends up drowning him by using him to get to the surface.

It's the same way with the vital organs.  They use the other organs in an attempt to save themselves, in the case of a disaster.

quote:
Okay, so what does this have to do with brushing your skin?

Death is when the blood leaves our tissues.  Life is when the blood flows to and from the tissues.  When you brush your skin, you bring your blood to all of the tissues, causing a big boost in...life.

Chapter 2:
The Tree of Life

quote:
How does the blood reach the tissues?

Blood flow starts in the heart, and goes out to the rest of the body in arteries.  These are like superhighways for the blood.  They are huge and fast.  The arteries in the picture below are red.

***Picture of circulatory system in the body here***

The blue lines are veins.  They carry the blood back to the heart.  The main function of the blood is to carry nutrients to the tissues.  Arteries carry nutrient rich blood, and veins carry nutrient poor blood, because the tissues have used the nutrients.

quote:
How do the arteries get blood to the tissues?

The arteries branch off into smaller arterioles.  These arterioles branch off into even smaller capillaries.  In the skin, the capillaries are in the dermis, as you can see in the picture.

***Picture of epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue here***

The blood flows away in the same sort of way.  The capillaries supply venules with used blood, which branch into the veins, which travel via the vena cavae back to the heart.

***Picture of a blood flowing through the heart here***

So, the circulatory system is kind of like a tree.  A trunk flows into a branch, which flows into a twig.

Chapter 3:
The Web of Life

quote:
So how does good circulation equal good health?

The body is always working to keep itself alive.  It adapts to whatever you do.  If you eat nothing, the body begins to keep itself from being malnourished by using its own tissues as nutrients.  If you get poisoned, the body releases certain types of chemicals to try and stop the poison.

So the body works somewhat like a web.  When you press one part, the rest adapts to it in order to maintain it.  This is why when you catch a cold, you get very warm and you cough, sneeze, and sometimes vomit.  These are all reactions the body has to whatever you caught.

If there's something wrong with one part of the web, the rest will show it.  This is why a lot of the time, medical conditions are linked.  Diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac disease...these are all manifestations of one problem.

quote:
So what is the problem?

The problem is the improper flow of neurons.  Neurons send information to and from different parts of the body, through an electrical pulse.  These pulses are very fast, and are constantly happening.

***Picture of a neuron here***

Neurons enable everything in the body to function.  Without them, not a single thing would work.  They adapt very easily.  When you remember something, it's because the neurons in your entire body adapted to that remembering.  If you do something physical in order to recall something easier, you have trained your neurons to access that part of your brain via the physical movement.

The more you do a specific task, such as pushups, the easier it'll be to repeat that task.  If a person catches a cold, it increases their chances of catching a cold again, unless they do something about it.  They must get their neurons to flow so that they are always healthy.

quote:
So how does a person get their neurons flowing properly?

The proper flow of neurons should follow the path of the circulatory system.  This strengthens its functions.

If you know anything about acupuncture, you'll know that this is exactly their theory and practice.  Except "chi" isn't some mysterious energy...it is the energy of the neurons.  Chi Kung, also, is about the flow of neurons.  The "microcosmic orbit" in that system follows the path of the vena cavae.  The kundalini in Hatha Yoga has the same pathway, following the inferior vena cava up the spine, going to the top of the head and coming down in the superior vena cava into the right atrium of the heart.

Chapter 4:
The River of Life

quote:
Why should the neurons follow the circulatory system?

Without neurons, the release of nutrients from the capillaries into the tissues doesn't happen.  This is because the release depends on the electric current of the neuron.  When the electrical charge comes, it shocks the nutrients out of the blood vessels and into the tissues.  It also shocks toxins (unnecessary elements) into the lymphatic system.

quote:
Wait, what?  The Lymphatic System?

It's how the body gets rid of things which are harmful to it.  These things are collected in lymph, which flows from the tissues, into lymph capillaries, then into lymph nodes, and then back into the circulatory system around the neck area.

***Picture of lymphatic system here***

Then it goes back into the heart, and inside the blood, it is pumped out to the liver and kidneys to be dealt with.  As you can see, the lymphatic system flows along the same path as the veins.  Towards the heart.

quote:
Is this why we're supposed to brush towards the heart?

Yes, but that's not all.  Also, veins have valves which prevent the backflow of blood.

***Picture of veins and their valves***

Arteries don't have this.  When blood is flowing backwards, it decreases the pressure in the heart, which makes the heart pump harder...increasing blood pressure.  Remember the spider's web?  This is the body trying to save itself.

quote:
Does it really cause backflow if you brush away from your heart?

Yes, it does.  Not necessarily at first, but it trains the neurons to flow away from the heart.  This causes backflow.  The release and reuptake of nutrients and toxins occurs starting at the heart, and then goes out to the far reaches of the body.

When you use the brush, you see the skin becoming red.  This is due to blood filling the capillaries there.  If there is a lot of blood flowing into the veins at the shoulder, when you brush down towards the wrist, that shoulder blood will "want" to flow down to the wrist.

So, health flows towards the heart and disease flows away from it.

Chapter 5:
The Fountain of Youth

quote:
My neck and collarbones turn really red.  Why is that?

This is where the lymph is collected from the tissues and drained into the blood.  It gives you a good idea of where things are in your own body.

quote:
Why do I get pains in areas when there's no reason for them?

Pains are caused by toxins that get stuck in the tissues.  They generally go away after a little bit.  Massaging them out isn't necessary, but it does work.  If you're going to do that, I suggest starting a ways away from the pain and move past the pain in the direction of the heart.  For instance, if you have pain in your shoulder, start at your lower arm and massage all the way up, get the shoulder, then massage the breast and the upper back.

quote:
Why am I coughing/sneezing a lot?

The lymph is emptied directly into a vein, leading into the heart.  From the heart, it's taken into the lungs to get oxygen.  So you can see, the toxins are taken from the lymph system almost directly into the respiratory system.  The coughing/sneezing goes away when your body doesn't have as many toxins.

In order to aid the process, you should blow your nose when it gets runny, and allow yourself to cough as much as needed.  Spit out the mucous that comes up.  Don't hock loogies, since this is bringing mucous from the nasal passages in the opposite direction that it's supposed to go.  Blow your nose gently into some cloth or tissue.

quote:
Why do I feel tired?

It's the body's reaction to the extra amount of toxins being taken from the tissues.  The same thing happens when you get sick.  To help with this, make sure you're getting enough sleep each night.  Go to bed around the time it gets dark out, like 10 PM.  Also, don't overwork your body.  Getting physical exercise is good and important, but too much intensity puts a strain on your body, causing you to be in need of even more sleep.

quote:
Why is my muscle more toned, and my body less chubby?

Even though you are only stimulating the skin when you dry brush, you're also stimulating the health of all tissues.  From this, you can assume that the internal organs are also being nourished.  Getting tested before and after by a doctor, if you have diminished kidney functioning for instance, would be a good way to tell if your organs are being affected.

quote:
Why is my skin so soft and glowing, and my acne disappearing?

You're directly nourishing the skin.  This is the way it's supposed to be when it's healthy.

quote:
Why do I keep sweating, and why am I so warm?

This heat goes away when you're adequately purified.  It's a hormonal/chemical reaction to the increased presence of toxins in the blood.  To help with this, don't wear constrictive clothing made of synthetic fabrics.  Don't eat overly spicy food.

quote:
Why do I feel more calm, and why can I think more clearly?

Stored up tension in the body is being released, and with it goes your fears, angers, depression, and greediness.  Also, the brain is being fed and stimulated much more than usual.  This enables you to think more clearly.  This doesn't go away, and it actually increases.  Your memory will also improve.

quote:
Why am I urinating more/why is my excrement so weird?

This, again, is due to purification.  It will become more regular as your body becomes purer.

quote:
Anything else I should know?

Always follow what your body tells you.  If purifications get too intense, back off.  If you don't seem to be purifying in a balanced and healthy way, seek some other method to solve it.  For instance, if your stomach becomes bloated, you should look at changing your diet, or colonics.  If your ears become plugged up, you should probably drain them.  Do things that seem like they'd assist the body's natural ways of getting rid of things it doesn't need.

If your need for food diminishes, then don't eat as much.  If your need for sleep diminishes, then there's no need to lay in bed as long.  If you don't need to wear deodorant, then there's no reason to put any on.  Follow the body's signals.

Also, make sure you're drinking enough water everyday.  Your urine should be almost clear.  This will help toxins not get stuck in certain areas.

And last of all, enjoy.[8D]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:38:17 PM by Scott »

sadhak

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »
Whoa Scott,
That was a book alright[:)]!

But it answered a question I had last night when I came across the Heart Centering warm-up in the fat AYP Book. I hadn't really come across anything like it before, and your brushing technique seemed to answer why all the massaging movements go towards the heart.

Think I'm going to try the Heart Centering warm-up, and see whether the 'toward heart massage' improves a stubborn tennis elbow that I've been trying to figure out.

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 12:35:26 AM »
Thanks for reading it, Sadhak.  Glad it answered some questions.  Good luck with the tennis elbow...I'm not sure it will improve it but it's worth a shot.

snake

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 02:41:32 AM »
yes thanks for posting that Scott

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 03:13:23 AM »
You're welcome.

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 02:08:50 AM »
I have been trying new things with this basic theory of the kundalini following the circulatory system.  Doing it by bringing your attention into the right side of your chest seems to work, but it's not as accurate as Ramana Maharshi's "who am I" technique.  Also, his technique doesn't just train the neurons to go any which way in their path back to the heart.  It's all based on the questioning, which seems to bring the mind back to a familiar center, and then down to the right atrium.

It's probably the most advanced form of Chi Kung.

Bringing the mind back to the heart is a powerful technique.  I underestimated it.  I did it yesterday for pretty much the whole day, and it felt good...then at night I couldn't fall asleep.  When I'd shut my eyes, it would seem to stimulate the third eye and release "be here now" chemicals.  They are the ones which wake you up when you're dozing off.  It kind of feels like cocaine, but of course not as intense.  My "nadis" felt much more open.  I felt like I was on the edge of a big rush, so I had to keep moving around to avoid it.  If I brought my attention into my heart, it would only stimulate the energy flow more.  I had to go sleep downstairs nearer the ground, and put my hands on the wooden floor to get rid of this.

I also drank a pepsi during dinner, after having not had any caffeine for a while.  That may have played a role in this.

But once again I'm reminded to self pace.  I hope there's a way to get a slow release kundalini and not a burst the living crap out of you kundalini.

snake

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 04:32:35 AM »
Scott,I would say the pepsi may well have given you a rush:)

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 10:41:19 AM »
I'm still being affected.  All day today I have been getting rushes.  No more of anything until this passes, that's for sure.

sushman

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 08:24:04 AM »
Scott, Great post. Thank you !

Whats the 'Bringing the mind back to the heart' technique ? Pls share.

Scott

Cupping and Dry Brushing
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »
Sushman,

It's just being aware of only your heart area on the right side of the chest.  When your mind wanders, to bring it back to this area in the same way you do a mantra.  Focusing on only that.

I don't recommend trying this.  Just stick with AYP techniques.