Author Topic: Samvega  (Read 796 times)

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Samvega
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:32:55 AM »
Namaste All [:D]

I did a site search for the word "samvega" and nothing came up.  So I figured I would start a thread on what Samvega is and see if anyone is interested in dicussing it.

Samvega is a Buddhist concept (I believe).....here is the definition:

"The oppressive sense of shock, dismay and alienation that come with realizing the futility and meaningless of life as it's normally lived;  a chastening sense of our own complacency and foolishness in having let ourselves live so blindly; and an anxious sense of urgency in trying to find a way out of the meaningless cycle".

All 3 clusters of these feelings are felt at the same time during a Samvega experience.  Here are a few symptoms that come along with experiencing Samvega:

1) A puzzling failure of previous sources of satisfaction

2) A heightened concern with authenticity

3) A deeply felt internal imperative to stop business as usual

4) A sense of urgency about realizing deeply hidden talents and gifts

5) A call to explore a path that might give transcendent meaning to the enigmas of life.

I know that I personally had a "samvega" experience in February 2005.  It was a defining moment (actually 3 days) in my life.  It started with me trying to commit suicide and continued (once I was unsuccessful) with a solid three days of crying (no eating no sleeping) while locked in the psych ward of a hospital, ending with the most profound silence I had ever felt (at that point in my life).  During that time of Silence I realized that this state of Being was where I wanted to live from for the rest of my life and that I would do whatever was necessary to stay in/get back to that point.  This was the beginning of my search for "enlightenment."  I believe that a lot of people have "samvega" experiences but that usually (in this society) they are called "mid-life crisis'".  I can't know this (as my "mid-life crisis" came long before "mid life" [I was only 24]) but I have a suspicion that this is essentially what people who are going through what is often termed as a "mid life crisis" are experiencing.  Anyone gone through a mid-life crisis and is willing to comment on whether the definition of samvega fits with your experience?  

Love!
[^]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:36:08 AM by CarsonZi »

yogani

• AYP Plus
Samvega
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:14:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Anyone gone through a mid-life crisis and is willing to comment on whether the definition of samvega fits with your experience?

Hi Carson:

It is interesting to see what age demographic has the greatest viewership of AYP Youtube videos -- mid-life:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus/images/AYP-YouTube.jpg

Sooner is obviously preferred, but it is never too late! [:)]

The guru is in you.

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Samvega
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:24:28 AM »
HI Yogani,

61000 views seems like a very impressive number?!

yogani

• AYP Plus
Samvega
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:41:06 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Anthem11

HI Yogani,

61000 views seems like a very impressive number?!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hi Anthem:

That was for 2009. It is over 90,000 views now, with similar age and gender distribution.

The 2009 Youtube demographics link was pulled from here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4975

The guru is in you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:43:26 PM by yogani99 »

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
Samvega
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:59:15 AM »
Thank you for the open heart sharing brother Carson, it made my heart melt.

cosmic

Samvega
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
Hey Carson,

I've never heard the term "samvega" before. Sounds like a Street Fighter character to me.

But the description matches an experience I had in 2002. Funny, I was also 24 at the time. I called it a "spiritual awakening" at the time, and that just confused people. It was a moment of deep silence and beauty, during a very dark and desperate point in my life.

I believe this was samvega because it was the major turning point in my life. It was also sandwiched between a very desperate prayer to God (last resort - I was an atheist) and my discovery of yoga. Two years into yoga, I discovered AYP and the rest is history  [;)]

Also, reading your description of samvega, the thought occurred to me that the world/society seems to be going through it right now. It looks like humanity is having a collective samvega experience. At least I hope that's what it is. Because I don't see a way out of this except through a massive awakening.

With Love
cosmic

emc

Samvega
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
I'm in a permanent samvega! [:D]