Author Topic: Deep meditation and mantra  (Read 544 times)

maheswari

Deep meditation and mantra
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:02 PM »
hello
i am new to AYP
started deep meditation 2 days ago....
should i stop using my mantra if i do other meditation sittings?
txs
maheswari

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »
Hi Maheswari,
Like I mentioned in the other spinal breathing topic, yes, please don't mix practices. Introduce one practice at a time. Give it a few weeks, see how you adjust to that one practice and then add anything new, very slowly.

Also, if you are practicing AYP deep meditation, don't mix it with any other meditations for a wile. Get comfortable with the practice. Then later, after months, years if you feel like you want to add some other form of meditation to your day, you can do so. But when we start, we keep it simple. We start with 20 min of deep meditation twice a day, for a few weeks. Then we introduce spinal breathing for 10 min prior to 20 min deep meditation, twice a day. Then once we are stable in these, we can introduce mudras and bandhas as described in the main lessons.

Since these are self directed practices, we try to make sure we feel stable in one practice before we add anything else. That way, if we add anything new and feel overloaded, we know what needs to be adjusted. That is another reason we don't recommend mixing practices either.

I hope this helps.[:)]

dave

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
If he's stable in his other practices could he slowly add in ayp practices, rather than dropping all his other practices.  If he's so inclined as long as any changes are gradual and based on stability?

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by dave

If he's stable in his other practices could he slowly add in ayp practices, rather than dropping all his other practices.  If he's so inclined as long as any changes are gradual and based on stability?

Hi Dave,
Yes, absolutely.
[:)]
However, AYP is a complete set of practices, when this is added to another set of complete practices, then we are doubling up on practices. This can result in overloads.

Here is what Yogani says:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/103.html
quote:
As for trying many methods, the "digging the well" analogy applies. If we dig in one place long enough, we will eventually find water. If we dig here, there, and over there, maybe it will take longer to find water. So, in general, sticking with a practice is better; assuming it is a tried and true one.

In these lessons we talk about a full range of tried and true practices, and put them together in order in a building block fashion, to be undertaken by each person on their own reconnaissance according to their unique capacity and time line. For those already on another path, it is all offered as "food for thought." That is the approach.

Hope this helps.[:)]