Author Topic: Threw out back right before DM  (Read 880 times)

robfrommi

Threw out back right before DM
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
I wanted to ask a question about the lower spine and Deep meditation and Spinal breathing pranayama. I have been doing DM for 3 months for 20 mins and doing 2 minutes SBP for a month or so (I  back off the SBP if my energy is getting to wild).

So about 5 years ago I was doing self realization fellowship Meditation( Parmahansas home study ) for about 3 -4 months. to get to the point it was morning and I went to start my meditation and I twisted my back a little and completely threw out my back. I couldn't move for a few days.

It seems like the perfect storm hit again. A few days ago a stomach flu hit everyone in my family(it was bad) so I skipped a day of DM and SBP and the next day after getting better I did 20 min DM and that night started back up doing my regular practice. After my session I ate a big dinner ( got my appetite back) but it kept me up all night and this morning the same thing happened I bent down to go into my meditation room and threw out my back.

It just seems weird that the same thing happened like it did before. last time I gave up on spiritual practice for a 5 years and I don't plan on doing this.  Does this mean something? the only time i have ever hurt my back is right before a morning practice and normally I have a good back and lift and pick up stuff all day (work and 3 kids!) The pain is right on the spine in the lower part of my back. Thanks for listening.

whippoorwill

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:42:33 AM »
Hi robfrommi:

Fluid accumulates in the disks of the spine overnight as we lay in bed, and it takes a little bit of upright activity for the swelling to go down. This is normal and happens in everyone.  That's why it's important to be very aware of the spine and very gentle with the spine, especially early in the morning.  If you've been lying down a lot because of illness, then the swelling is likely more pronounced.  I injured my back once doing plow pose in the early morning without a warm-up, but fortunately it wasn't bad.

My husband has a large herniation in his lumbar spine (low back).    He was working a 48-hour shift and decided to lift weights at 5 in the morning.  He did some squats and a disk ruptured.  Sitting cross-legged in meditation is really uncomfortable for him sometimes.  Sitting still is not good for him when his injury is aggravated.   So he sits on his heels like you see in a martial arts class, and he meditates for very short periods.   A five-minute sitting is about what he can handle.

So I would say... Don't give up.  See an orthopedic doctor about your spine injury.  When you meditate, do it for shorter sessions and make sure your spine is supported and comfortable.  

All the very best to you!  And good luck.  I hope this heals quickly!

AumNaturel

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:14:05 AM »
If it isn't too big of an injury, and the previous one if it was similar seemed to have mostly healed, I would give it some time (a week or more) and be easy with the postures if you can still do them, and it should heal. I have overextended my lower back, knees, ankles, but only by a little, and it took more than a week for them to heal up completely. Having a general idea of where those limits are, I move into them much more gradually and with extra care, and stay back three steps from that level to be on the safe side.

Some injuries, if bad enough, never seem to heal completely, even if they happen at very young ages.

If it is a matter of not taking it gradually enough, or if it happened unexpectedly, in either case it says something about what you can do to minimize the chance of it recurring. Wish you a speedy recovery.

robfrommi

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:41:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have been taking it easy and actually took a few days off work (first in 5 years). I did not realize first thing in the morning there is a accumulation of fluid in the lower spine and from now on I will move more slowly and precise in the morning.