Author Topic: amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)  (Read 1150 times)

Lili

amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »
Hi folks, I have a colleague with this condition who is in very difficult state. If you have any tips pls let me know. Cheers.

HathaTeacher

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:25 AM »
That's a "Catch 22"...
I've come across a new blend of natural medicines called Neuro Bright, from RBC. But my only trouble is that my (very) old relatives often forget to take it[:D]

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:54:23 AM »
Hi Lili:

My dad passed away in 1987 from ALS.

Also known as Lou Gehrig's disease (after the famous baseball player who had it, resulting in it receiving worldwide attention in the 1940s), ALS is a neurological degeneration originating in the brain and spinal cord that debilitates muscular functioning, leading to paralysis and death, usually within a few years after diagnosis. In a rare case, a person with ALS may live a long time in a paralyzed condition. The famous British physicist, Stephen Hawking, is an example.

In our case, my dad lived for only 6 months after diagnosis (though signs were there for years before), and during that end stage his crusty/hard exterior gave way to a divine illumination coming from within. Of course, being around a terminally ill person will not be seen in this way by everyone. It depends on the perception of each person affected. In the case of my dad and me, there was an awakening, before and after his death, and I have treasured the experience with gratitude ever since. For the rest of the family, and the medical people involved, it was a failure of life. It was that for sure, but there was so much more going on.

I mention all this, Lili, because there is no cure for ALS, and you are likely dealing with a terminal situation with your friend, and that may bring up the spiritual considerations mentioned, depending on the people involved.

Then again, he may be a rare case like Dr. Hawking, and then life will become a long series of strategies for survival and communication. ALS takes away speech, along with nearly everything else. But the mind usually remains intact.  

There are no easy answers on this one ... it is the cycle of life, up close and personal.  

The guru is in you.

whippoorwill

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:26:38 AM »
Hi Lili:
My Dad was diagnosed 22 years ago with Chronic Progressive MS (Multiple Sclerosis).  He was able to walk with a cane at my wedding, 17 years ago.  When I saw him most recently, he cried because he couldn't lift his arms to hug his grandkids.  He makes a massive effort for every breath when he speaks, and I left my Mom and Dad's little place in rural Missouri wondering if I would see Dad again alive.  I wish I had some advice that would make this simpler, but I don't.  Except maybe to say that it's so important to accept and love someone exactly as they are at this moment in time, making no comparisons to the past.  The past isn't real anymore when you're dealing with an illness like that.  All you have is now.

Hope this helps...
Much love,
--Liz

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »
Hi Lili:

Here is an article on a promising breakthrough in ALS research.

The guru is in you.

maheswari

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
dear Yogani thx for sharing your dad story....stories about taking care of parents always touch me...i did it with mum and dad...it is very hard experiences but at the same time it gives valuable personal awakening...
[|)]

Lili

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 07:30:13 AM »
Dear Yogani,

Many thanks for sharing this inspiring story. Sorry for replying so late I just saw it. It's great that you and your dad were able to experience something positive related to this scary condition. In my case it's not a friend-I don't even know the person but see him struggling in the office with even basic activities so tried to do some research to help. What I found and sent him is this one: http://thehealingcodes.com/ This is because one of the practitioners claims to have completely recovered from ALS using this system, as follows: http://www.abundance-and-happiness.com/dr-ben-johnson.html

In the case of my colleague I am not sure it will help because might not even try to apply it: he doesn't seem the kind of person to consider alternative therapies, yoga, meditation etc. I sent him links on water fasting also. He seems to have settled on the medical treatment as prescribed. I wasn't able to see your breakthrough link because it was broken. Once again thanks for sharing and I hope he will get better one way or the other...

Lili

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
I just wanted to add, after Yogani's example, that I really admire the way this person is handling the situation. I never seen or heard him complain, he is always smiling eventhough he is coming to work in wheel chair. His team member is saying that he contributes greatly to detailed technical work. He really is trying to make the most out of life in his circumstance.

I by contrast often feel depressed.

Will pass him the tip about neuro bright. Cheers.

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
Hi Lili:

Not sure what happened to the ALS breakthrough link above.

Here is another, which I believe is about the same breakthrough. I have replaced the above link with this one also.

All the best!

The guru is in you.