Author Topic: Wisdom of not Looking "Under the Hood" too Much  (Read 564 times)

tamasaburo

Wisdom of not Looking "Under the Hood" too Much
« on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
I've recently had a lot of problems trying to micromanage my physical body and mind with vitamins, herbs, supplements, and the like. I even tried very hard to figure out which specific neurotransmitters I needed more or less of and how to fix that through minerals, amino acids, etc. I did learn a lot, but the irony was I was pretty healthy to begin with and ended up causing a lot of unnecessary problems. The little general wisdom gained was not worth the suffering I caused myself and largely left me more impressed with how much I did not know and could not hope to know.

What I learned through a lot of unfortunate trial and error, is that the physical body and mind, perhaps like the spiritual self, is unfathomably complex, and virtually impossible to micromanage and tweak. Rather, it is best to stick to the basics: exercise, balanced diet, rest, etc. and only use some very specific intervention when absolutely necessary, such as antibiotics for an infection. At least, that's the conclusion I have drawn.

It seems to me this micromanaging I was trying to do with vitamins, supplements, and the like was analogous in many ways to what Yogani calls the "under the hood" aspect of spirituality. The body has its own logic and delicate balance, and trying to tinker with specific parts of it can easily lead to imbalances elsewhere. Better to work on the whole and let the parts take care of themselves.

This is just a kind of broad observation, but I thought it might be worth sharing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:19:55 PM by tamasaburo »

Bodhi Tree

• http://www.codyrickett.com
Wisdom of not Looking "Under the Hood" too Much
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:44:00 AM »
Very wise. Thank you.

I just continually ask questions from a place of serenity, then release those questions into the Void, a la samyama. Then I find I am intuitively attracted to what my body/mind/spirit needs. Analysis can be exhausting, whereas faith and spontaneous discovery can be rejuvenating.

Refining habits. Mastering the skill of living. Surrendering to the bliss-flow-orgasmic-explosion in every cell...bubbling, bubbling, bubbling up 'til The Presence becomes solidified...its liquid versatility...its calm mobility.

P.S. Fruit is king. Or queen, I should say.