Author Topic: Is stillness/bliss not enough for spirituality?  (Read 657 times)

Pramod

Is stillness/bliss not enough for spirituality?
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:32:33 AM »
In some paths of spirituality, only meditation/samadhi is practiced. The objective there is to experience stillness of thoughts, and thus be in touch with what we really are. Is that not enough for spiritual realization or enlightenment? Are the kundlini/tantra techniques( some of which are quite chunky and tedious) to experience game of energy and Ecstasy? Specially when one is not at all concerned of anything like sidhis?
In what way, these energy related practices add further value to our experience of bliss of stillness? Can anyone or Yogini please reply to it?

bewell

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
Hi Pramod,

Over time, dwelling in stillness tends to give rise to an inner sensitivity to prana moving, ecstatic contuctivity. It is what tends to happen. It is what, in my experience, happened. I did not seek it, not consciously anyway.

[/\]

Pramod

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:06:12 AM »
Thanks Bewell, I wanted to know that is it necessary to follow advance practices like kechri mudra, which appear quire cumbersome , for the purpose of spiritual enlightenment. Is simple meditation leading to Samadhi not enough? If it is not necessary, then what additional advantage they give? As per your reply, even if we don't do complicated practices, we will progress over time.
Any other experiences or advice on this?

bewell

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:23 AM »

Hi[:)]

Keep the baseline simple: Meditation twice daily. After that, add on (and back off) as inclined. Add on when the time is ripe for you. The key is establishing a stable habit. The next step would be Spinal Breathing Pranayama. As for enlightenment, I'm reminded of the saying, "Enlightened moments happen by accident, practices increase the liklihood of such happy accidents."

Namaste
[/\]

whippoorwill

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
Meditation by itself is enough.

But, as Bewell indicated, you may feel inclined to add more at some point.  It's entirely up to you.

It's possible that meditation will cause stirrings of energy in your body and, if that is the case, the other techniques offered will help your body learn to direct and channel the energy.

The practices are there, and you can take what is useful and leave the rest.  [:)][3]

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »
Yes, as others have said, it is not necessary to add anything on to meditation practices unless you feel inclined.
However, bhakti is quite powerful, and is recommended:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=2118
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:31:45 PM by Etherfish »