Author Topic: Stress at work  (Read 722 times)

TgeekB

Stress at work
« on: October 26, 2011, 04:25:05 AM »
Hello all. I am new to this site and DM. Found the book on my Kindle and loved it so now I am reading ATP. Have a long way to go but have a question. I work a very stressful job in a hospital. When I am away from it, or meditating, I am much calmer. I tell myself that when I am at work I am going to remain calm. Once I get there and things get busy and stressful, I find myself caught up in them and forgetting what I have learned. Much like going back to the mantra when we get distracted during DM, is there something I should be doing to get myself out of those situations and "back to something"? Thanks for any advice and have a great day!

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Stress at work
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:34:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by TgeekB

Hello all. I am new to this site and DM. Found the book on my Kindle and loved it so now I am reading ATP. Have a long way to go but have a question. I work a very stressful job in a hospital. When I am away from it, or meditating, I am much calmer. I tell myself that when I am at work I am going to remain calm. Once I get there and things get busy and stressful, I find myself caught up in them and forgetting what I have learned. Much like going back to the mantra when we get distracted during DM, is there something I should be doing to get myself out of those situations and "back to something"? Thanks for any advice and have a great day!

Welcome to the AYP forums.
[:)]

Give it a bit of time, you will be surprised at how the stillness cultivated in meditation creeps into your every day living. [:)]

For now, like you said above, any time you realize you are stressed... just take a mental step back into stillness the best you know how... dont make it complicated... a few seconds mental break and go back to what you are doing.

It's a process.. wont happen overnight, but you will, in time be able to catch the source of stress and let it go before it can take over.

Wish you all the best.
Thanks for sharing. [:)]

TgeekB

Stress at work
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:06:53 AM »
Thank you for the wonderful response. I will be patient and give it time. I will try to take some mental breaks through the day to relieve myself from those situations.

maheswari

Stress at work
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »
welcome to the forum ...with time you will acquire lots of benefits from the practice and they will reflect in the way you handle stressful daily activities
[:)]

mathurs

Stress at work
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Hello TgeekB,
You must also pat your back for being able to be calm when you are away from work. You will be suprised how many people carry that stress over into their home lifes. With meditation the calm will slowly seep into your work life.
Welcome to the forum!

riptiz

Stress at work
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:20 AM »
Hi,
By recognising the stress you are making progress because many do not even notice when it becomes part of 'normal' life.Just as when you try to break a habit, one has to recognise they are in a habit before being able to resolve it.
L&L
Dave

yogesh

Stress at work
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 05:12:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum,

Hospitals are very stressful places, is there a Hospital Chapel there you could go and get some quiet time?

yogesh

TgeekB

Stress at work
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »
Thank you everyone for the kind words. It is nice to find a place where others are on the same road as you.
Yogesh, yes, there is a chapel and I have actually thought of going there on my break for some quiet time. It is something I will have to give a try, perhaps when I work this weekend. Peace.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Stress at work
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
As Shanti says, meditation will help given time. That's exactly my situation; stressful job but meditation helps greatly.

Something else could also help if you feel attracted to such things, although it is not yoga:
"NLP anchoring" is a method used by Neuro Linguistic Programming people. You learn to change your state by activating a trigger; something like tapping your fingers on your leg. You would get into the desired relaxed, stress free state and tap your fingers. This creates an "anchor" so that tapping connects you to that state. it is explained in more detail here:

http://nlpanchoringexplained.com/nlp-anchoring/

TgeekB

Stress at work
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »
Very interesting. Thank you for the link. I will read up on these methods and apply them during my work day. Also went to my first yoga class last night which was one of the most relaxing experiences I have ever had. Peace.

maheswari

Stress at work
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 05:27:34 AM »
quote:
Also went to my first yoga class last night which was one of the most relaxing experiences I have ever had

sounds you are finding your way through...very good for you[:)]

Radharani

• http://www.francisandclareyoga.org
Stress at work
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
I also work part-time in medicine (although I am trying to "retire" from it) and can relate to the stressful situation.  I do recommend using the hospital chapel during your break.  But even while working, if you can take a moment to do a couple of ujjayi breaths, or even just ordinary deep breaths, it may help you step back from the stress and reconnect with your inner peace.  Eventually the stillness in your meditation will spill over into the rest of your life.  Keep up the good work!