Author Topic: I AM mantra  (Read 6606 times)

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
I AM mantra
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2008, 05:33:51 AM »
Hi YogaIsLife,

Thank you for not being upset over my questioning of you/your intentions.  Just dialectic conversation for me. (totally addicted to it still, haha)

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

I am just curious about what I AM does and how. Why does it worked so well in me, for example?

I don't think this is something that is truly "knowable" in a scientific way.  There is just sooooo much that we don't concretely know about the human body and expecially the "subtle body" that I think this will always be "under the hood" stuff.  Try all you want to wrap your brain around it, but personally I don't think that is possible.  You may get to a point where you understand inside of you how the I AM mantra works, but I doubt you'll ever be able to put words to it.  That's how it is for me.  I can FEEL the I AM working in me, but goddamn if I could explain to YOU that feeling of knowing.

quote:

I don't expect noone to answer to me this directly, but that does not stop me from searching (by the way, this is not something I do on purpose, it is my nature, as I said), gathering pieces here and there, and in my own experience of using the mantra, of course.

Good.  Cause I doubt it will ever happen that another can explain to you how a mantra works.  It's subjective and unexplainable in words. IMHO again.

quote:

The thing is that I AM really changed me, and I have been struggling for this kind of stability for years not getting any (making things worse along the way) and then this comes along. Now I feel a bit "dependent" on it for stability, understand? It is a whole new world. And I would prefer not to be dependent on nothing (if that is possible) or, if I need to be, at least I would like to have a glimpse at why and how it works. I think this is fair enough.

Yes I understand completely.  It is hard to let go of something that seems so important to understand.  But that is how you will release your dependancy on I AM to feel stable.  By letting go of the feeling of NEEDING to feel stable.  And releasing any attachment to I AM itself.  I AM is a tool like anything else, and I'm sure at some point it too must be transcended.

quote:

A lot of doors are opening up I think. Join that with an inquisitive mind and voila! - you get a neverending thirst for understanding and knowing. [:)] I think I am quite sensitive and believe me I have struggled for anwers for some time. Then AYP came along and it worked and I don't know why! It is like taking some kind of magic pill! What is in it? [:p]

That is great that you are feeling yourself opening up...I am very happy for you.  Just be careful not to get too caught up in the quest for knowledge because as I said before, it will only serve to distract you from the real goal of ultimate Self Realization.  And AYP and the I AM mantra is no more a magic pill than anything else. Tools tools tools man.  Some more effective for some then others.  Be careful not to prosyletize. haha.  (Said with a joking tone)

quote:

And, just as a side note....I am not complaining [:)]

Good, cause complaining never got anyone anywhere! haha.  You got this covered I'm sure.

Love,
Carson[^]

YogaIsLife

I AM mantra
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2008, 07:04:34 AM »
Thanks Carson for the positive answer.

quote:
Just dialectic conversation for me. (totally addicted to it still, haha)

I am the same. also getting over it I think. [:)]

And when you say "You may get to a point where you understand inside of you how the I AM mantra works", I believe in this. Otherwise, how else would you know?

All the very best.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
I AM mantra
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
And the best to you my friend.[^]

YogaIsLife

I AM mantra
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2008, 07:08:05 PM »
I realised why AYP meditation works so well on me: concentration! It is really that simple [:D]

I was reading a book about meditation where the author says there are 4 kinds of meditation or uses of awareness: concentration, receptive awareness, contemplation and cultivation of positive patterns. I'd say the 2 first are the most important. AYP's clearly uses concentration, focusing awareness on a particular object, the mantra. Well, I realise I was really spaced out, energy scattered all over the place, awareness literally at the surface of the skin, making any disturbance outside or inside of me (thoughts, feelings, etc.) litteraly shaken me all inside. I was also trying to literally "keep myself together" using only the mind - very tiring as you might imagine and not effective at all. The practice of meditation trains the mind - with a simple method! - to become more focused making all the difference! It is amazingly simple, and yet effective. It goes beyond the mind, but uses the mind! Impressive! Furthermore, the mantra we use may further improve the process of stability since it apparently resonates with the spinal nerve, which probably is the most important and inner channel of our awareness (kind of like what the Hara or Dan Tien must be for the mass of our body), it gives even more stability and focus. This last part is more speculative on my side but still...I am quite happy to find this out [:)] It is worth searching for anwers after all [:)]

On a side note, the book says that, if concentration is the yang of meditation (focused, powerful, penetrating), receptive awareness is the yin (open, expansive, welcoming). Do you know any practice of meditation which uses mainly receptive awareness (mindfullness comes to mind but the use of OM for example seems as well more expanding to me, scattering)? Well, in any case I'll stick to concentration for a while, thank you very much! [:D]

Thank you for the opportunity in sharing!

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
I AM mantra
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 09:58:27 PM »
Hi X.J.

quote:
X.J. (Neptune) wrote:
No Christi I cannot accept that you are a beginner. I have read many of your posts and you are very accomplished at yoga and meditation.

Imagine you are on a journey, and your destination lies at the end of the road. You could be in the beginning stages of the journey, or in the middle or at the end of your journey. Where you are at, will depend on two things, how far you have come, and how long the road is. You can get a pretty good idea of how far I have come, by reading my posts in this forum, but do you have any idea how long the road is?

In yoga, it is easy to have an idea of what lies behind us, but to know how much more is still to come is very hard. I have some idea of what lies ahead on the path, and that is why I would say I am a beginner. It is a long journey... maybe one that never ends?

quote:
X.J. (Neptune) wrote:
Your replies are the best on these forums. You are Yogani. But good try.

[:D]
Thanks for the compliment. [:)] There are many people here who have a lot of wisdom and experience to share, and who share it very freely, yourself included. That is why the forum is such a great place.

Maybe one day I will be able to say that we are all One, from my direct experience of reality, but for now, I am very grateful for Yogani's continued help and support.

Christi
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:29:52 AM by Christi »

jillatay

• http://www.jillatay.com
I AM mantra
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2008, 04:08:25 AM »
quote:
I was reading a book about meditation where the author says there are 4 kinds of meditation or uses of awareness: concentration, receptive awareness, contemplation and cultivation of positive patterns.

Dear YogaIsLife,

Could you site your source?  Sounds like a good read.

Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras plainly states there are many paths Home. It seems as if I must have tried all 4 at some point or other.  From my own experience and intuition it seems all paths converge the closer we get to the Center.  I would like to hear other's input on this.  

Love to all,
Jill

YogaIsLife

I AM mantra
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2008, 04:54:38 AM »
Hi Jill,

The book is "Meditation for Dummies" by Stephan Bodien.

Don't be deceived by the title, it is a good book, with a good overview of meditation techniques, effects, and troubleshooting by an experienced teacher. I was a skeptic at first but started to read it and am enjoying it.

You say "Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras plainly states there are many paths Home. It seems as if I must have tried all 4 at some point or other. From my own experience and intuition it seems all paths converge the closer we get to the Center."

I agree. I am but a begginner in the path of yoga and meditation but I have been a seeker all of my life (lives?). I guess the stronger we feel presence (what you say by getting close to the center) the clearer things become and things seem to fall easier into place...well, but again this is just a begginner's experience. [:)]

x.j.

I AM mantra
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2008, 06:05:19 AM »
The "I am" mantra is peculiar to AYP. The rest of the practices come from various traditional yoga sources. But the central mantra noted here, is not a traditional practice. It's use by those following Yogani's teachings and program shows that it must be of some effectiveness, because they say so. But, nevertheless, it is not a traditional practice and it's potency is suspect from the standpoint of the Mantra Yoga tradition. In fact, I wonder if it is egotism to  invent and popularize a brand new one.

I just want to set the record straight on this fact. Because mantras are not just some new age product, where a person can just invent one, and for that new invention to be effective, like traditional mantras. They don't work that way. They are ancient,and in that fact over millenia, have become embedded and a part of human consciousness very gradually, and gathered strength. Here is why:

As Swami Sivananda Radha states in "Mantras, Words of Power":
The mantras were transmitted from generation to generation, and in this process the power of the mantras was greatly increased. The repetition billions of times by countless devotees over the centuries has brought about a vast reservoir of power that augments the inherent spiritual potency of the mantras. Through repetition of these words of power, the goal of Mantra Yoga is achieved-that is, as with all yogas, unity of individual consciousness with Cosmic Consciousness.

Actually, I do not expect to influence anyone here to try the traditional mantras. Simply be advised that you might be missing out on something monumental. They are an immense legacy that has grown steadily in momentum since pre-biblical times. They contain power unimaginable to those who have not explored them. Power to transform consciousness and nourish devotion. And nowadays, they are readily available unlike any time in the past when they were guarded as secrets.
x.j.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:57:28 AM by x.j. »

david_obsidian

I AM mantra
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
Hello x.j.,

the phrase 'I am' (with its English origin) has been used as a mantra long before Yogani.  The pronunciation is very similar though to more traditional (i.e. ancient) mantras, often spelt AYAM.

Do a google search on AYAM and you'll see some hits that you might find illuminating.  Of course what you see in google is not the whole body of the worlds traditions; it is just what is online now.

quote:
Originally posted by x.j.

The "I am" mantra is peculiar to AYP. The rest of the practices come from various traditional yoga sources. But the central mantra noted here, is not a traditional practice. It's use by those following Yogani's teachings and program shows that it must be of some effectiveness, because they say so. But, nevertheless, it is not a traditional practice and it's potency is suspect from the standpoint of the Mantra Yoga tradition. In fact, I wonder if it is egotism to  invent and popularize a brand new one.

I just want to set the record straight on this fact. Because mantras are not just some new age product, where a person can just invent one, and for that new invention to be effective, like traditional mantras. They don't work that way. They are ancient,and in that fact over millenia, have become embedded and a part of human consciousness very gradually, and gathered strength. Here is why:

The mantras were transmitted from generation to generation, and in this process the power of the mantras was greatly increased. The repetition billions of times by countless devotees over the centuries has brought about a vast reservoir of power that augments the inherent spiritual potency of the mantras. Through repetition of these words of power, the goal of Mantra Yoga is achieved-that is, as with all yogas, unity of individual consciousness with Cosmic Consciousness.

Actually, I do not expect to influence anyone here to try the traditional mantras. Simply be advised that you might be missing out on something monumental. They are an immense legacy that has grown steadily in momentum since pre-biblical times. They contain power unimaginable to those who have not explored them. Power to transform consciousness and nourish devotion. And nowadays, they are readily available unlike any time in the past when they were guarded as secrets.
x.j.

Thus saith Swami Sivananda Radha -- if you bring him online, I'll discuss this one over with him.  I differ with the Swami in his conclusions.  I don't at all believe they got their power from repetition by past users. They work because of the way the human nervous system is, not because of the way the human nervous system was used on that particular mantra before.

BTW, when you're quoting someone it can be help to offset it with a color or the quote icon. It can be nice if it's immediately clear what is you talking and what is the swami.

In fact, I wonder if it is egotism to invent and popularize a brand new one.

Well, now that it's clear that Yogani didn't invent it, we might ask ourselves if it's egotism to popularize a new one.  I'd say 'yes' -- but only in the same sense that it is egotism to dare to think that you might do anything useful in the world that you couldn't find a master with a beard and robes to tell you to do.  It's also called being an enterprising adult of the 20th century. [:)]

Enjoy AYP.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:23:55 AM by david_obsidian »

neli

I AM mantra
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2008, 06:21:58 PM »

x.j.

I don't know why the Gayatri mantra is not mentioned in this site, as I consider it a very powerful mantra for the Kundalini awakening. I always chant several times this mantra at the begining of the meditation, as Gopi Krishna did. Also I don't understand why we cannot use several mantras, I really don't understand this. I always have used the Gayatri at the begining, then the OM Shanti, or Shrim, all in Japa, and internally I use the "I am", or "Shrim I am". People thinks that in japa form they are effectless or harmless or kind of "it doesn't matter", and I don't think so. Maybe they work in a different way, but are not effectless. Internally I only use the I am and the Shrim.

Neli[:D]

quote:
Originally posted by x.j.

x.j.

YogaIsLife

I AM mantra
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2008, 06:23:10 PM »
Well, me, I don't really mind if the mantra is made up, as long as it is "well-made up". What I really care about is if it's safe. What do you guys think, is it? Does anybody had problems of overload and of so of what kind?

If not, from those that use it for more than 6 months, what have the effects been (the noticeable mantra-related ones)?

I ask this because I had very good results of grounding and centering with it (stabilizing my energies very well) and am somehow struck at the effectiveness of it (from just 4-5 months) and am just worried it might have other effects I am not seeing and are working all the while and may come later...[:0]

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
I AM mantra
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2008, 06:59:08 PM »
My experience with the IAM mantra has been quite varied.
Having come into AYP with many years of meditation under my belt I decided to find a level that suited me.
The IAM did not seem to have much effect and so I tried the 1st enhancement for a while, this "felt" like it worked a lot better.
I then had the intention of teaching AYP by starting a group and reverted back to the IAM alone, thinking that if I am to teach it I better get the hang of the basic mantra.

Later I added the 1st and 2nd enhancement and thought I was doing great. Found the 2nd enhancement very powerful and it took me on a little journey.
A few months ago I got the urge to simplify and went back to the IAM again. I find now that the basic IAM is the best of all for me.

This was all over a period of about two and a half years. I remember the first six months and how I my efficiency at work improved, how my relationships improved, how my energy levels improved. Well when I went on the enhancements these things faded away - yes, I appeared to be going deeper, but I paid the price in clarity, efficiency and energy levels - basically I was overloading.

Now that I am back to the basic IAM my work rate has increased again, there is better clarity and more energy.

Outside of AYP practice I listen to the Gayatri mantra and sing out with it. If I don't sing with it I get overload fairly quickly.
Also, I use a Kali mantra outside of AYP.

I'm no expert on mantras by any means, but there are thousands of them, so where to start and where to settle. AYP has provided a straight forward system, easily explained and very effective. One only has to read the accounts on this forum to see it's effectiveness.

I have been running an AYP group meditation for two years now and can also see the effectiveness in the group.
If it aint broke, don't fix it, as they say.

Also, many people here have AYP as their core practice and have their own little add ins or big add ins. That's no problem as long as the self-pacing is considered.
Having a well structured practice that works makes self-pacing much easier. We know where we stand and when we go over we don;t have to look at half a dozen things that it might be, we just rein in a little on the core practice.
If I loose my peace and get cantankerous at people I know I am over and need to pull back[8D], but thankfully this does not happen often and this is no doubt because I know the system and its effects - of course overlaod can come in very subtly at times so, alway have to keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:06:55 PM by Sparkle »

YogaIsLife

I AM mantra
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2008, 01:11:19 AM »
Thank you Sparkle, that was very useful actually. I experience the same results with the I AM mantra as you (clarity, efficiency and energy levels) but then again I never meditated before. [:)]

A question: before AYP, when you were meditating, did you use any other mantras? Religious for example? Just curious about other possible different effects.

There seems to be 2 sides to the benefits/effects of mantra meditation: the actual effect of concentration (focusing on an object) and the object itself.

gumpi

I AM mantra
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2008, 02:15:58 AM »
I had 2 experiences with I AM mantra recently.  First one, i felt as if i had expanded inside or gone deeper inside (it is difficult to explain) and it only lasted for a couple of seconds.  Second one, i felt some kind of warmth inside my body.  

I have only otherwise used hong Sau mantra, and i had been doing that on and off since 2001.  With this, with concentration and detachment on the breathing, i started to experience khumbaka after the exhale.  The most time i went without feeling the need to breath in was about 30 seconds.  I have no idea how long people are supposed to go without breathing but i doubt it is much longer than this.  I read that in meditation experiments most people stopped breathing for up to 30 seconds maximum, and they were seasoned meditators.  But for me there was no inner light, sound, kundalini, spiritual eye, visions, intuitive stuff, nothing.  Just relaxation.  For the relaxation it is worth meditating, but as to getting other experiences i have no idea.

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
I AM mantra
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2008, 03:51:34 AM »
quote:

Thank you Sparkle, that was very useful actually. I experience the same results with the I AM mantra as you (clarity, efficiency and energy levels) but then again I never meditated before. [:)]

A question: before AYP, when you were meditating, did you use any other mantras? Religious for example? Just curious about other possible different effects.

There seems to be 2 sides to the benefits/effects of mantra meditation: the actual effect of concentration (focusing on an object) and the object itself.

Hi YogaIsLife
No I never used a mantra before AYP, and for that reason it took me a while to get the hang of it. At first I did'nt go as deep because it was a distraction but for some reason I felt I wanted to use a mantra and so I stuck with it.
I'm glad I did because it definately does seem to have an extra dimension when compared to the silent zen type sitting I was used to, although I still do this when I go on zen retreats etc. and find it very nourishing also.
Glad you found it useful.
Cheers[:)]