Author Topic: I AM mantra  (Read 6614 times)

Neptune

I AM mantra
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Neli,
In my experience the Om, Shree and Namaha mantras have a much more obvious effect in the nervous system than I AM does. I AM is more subtle, and safer in the long run. That is why the mantra in AYP is only gradually extended over a period of time to include the other elements. I don't think it is a good idea to mess around with mantras until you "feel" that it is "working". By then you could already be on dangerous ground. This is why in India it is always said that you should not work with mantras without an experienced guide, and that you should follow their advice.
Well, we are lucky enough to have an experienced guide here, and Yogani has laid the lessons out as they are for very good reasons. I would simply follow them and not worry much about what is "working" or not. Some things are not as they seem! [:)]
Christi

I have always liked your user name of Christi, because of the association with Christ. Many times I read your posts and think to myself, that you are Yogani himself. In any case, you are a person of tremendous experience in all things yogic and I have the greatest respect for your comments.

That said, I think a person can be overly dogmatic and doctrinal about advanced yoga practices and mantras. You know, the strength of Yogani's teachings, is that he has pulled together teachings from various traditional sources, including kriya yoga, hatha yoga, tantric yoga.  Except for the "I am" mantra. That, he invented himself. And I have no problem with him inventing that mantra. But, of all the practices that he has organized into his program called AYP, the "I am" mantra" is the only wild card. That is, the only practice that did not originate in ancient times from the rishis in the hills of old India.  Secondly, central to his teachings is that all of us have an inner Voice, purusha, that is the basis for his always ending teachings with the words "The guru is in you."

In other words, we have an inner wisdom to guide us in all things if we refine our perception of that. Of THAT.  And for you to say that we must all use the "I am" mantra, is narrowminded, at best.
I say, try whatever mantra resonates with you.  It will do no harm.
Lahiri Masaya of Kriya yoga fame, recommended Om namo bagavate vasudevi e Om. And he was indeed a great yogi.
As is Yogani, and no doubt yourself, one and the same.

But do try to be a little less dogmatic for the good of us all, because we all care about each other, and that is the reason we are speaking together, here. For the common good. Again I have the greatest admiration and respect for your advice, and enjoy all your posts immensely. [:)]
And as always, Christi, Good luck on your chosen path.
neptune

YogaIsLife

I AM mantra
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
Hi Neptune,

This was an important post and a relevant discussion I think.

I always as well wondered about the I AM mantra. I understand that Yogani can feel its effect in the nervous system and from my limited experience (5 months) it works in calming the mind and bringing stability to daily life. But doesn't this mantra (different spelling, same sound) exist in other traditions? I think I read somewhere in these forums it did...in islamic traditions, etc.

On the other hand what you say it is also true: ultimately the guru is in us and no-one can tell us what ultimately we need. But of course everybody needs a teacher along the way, especially in the beggining. Yogani seems to be a good teacher for begginers such as myself and so I trust him. But, like himslef has written, as we evolve and become more sensitive ourselves we will be able to feel the effects of the mantras in our interiors, right? I long for that.

And, now that we are at it, a related question: how does a guru gives a mantra to a disciple in other traditions such as transcendental meditation? How does a guru knows what is best for the student at a given time? Can a guru be wrong about that? Is there such a thing as an universal mantra, suitable for everybody? I read something in a book (Mantra Meditation by Arya, Usharbudh) quite interesting: a mantra was given by this teacher to a very passive, depressed man. That mantra was designed to make the man release his anger/frustration and so he felt angry all the time. So, although it helped him overcome his depression and become more expressive (open up) it did so in an agressive manner. Later the same guru had to change the mantra to a balancing one for that person to stabilize. I found this a fascinating story.

newpov

I AM mantra
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:08 AM »
Yogaislife,

Years ago I paid my $150 for TM initiation because I was curious about what these folks were offering that I did not have.

The man asked me a few questions about demographics and lifestyle, then told me to think the mantra AING repeatedly and go into the other room for 30 minutes, that we would talk about it later. I sat down and did what he said without any expectations, though I'm sure I must have been in a mood of great expectancy. In that very first session I was blessed and most surprised to experience one microsecond of lilting timeless inner EXPANSE.

I still suppose the AING mantra is dispensed to every TM beginner. I also believe that the expectancy that I brought to that session was everything. Why, then, couldn't OM SHREE AING work for everyone?

So far as I know, Yogani has never claimed to originate the AYAM mantra.

The Jews said, "I am I AM." Their meaning being, I am the Self. A recent yogi claimed that "I am" is the one and only absolutely true statement that any human being can possibly make. If that is the case, Yogani's selection of AYAM could represent his effort to combat illusion (remove obstructions) merely through the repeated assertion of Truth.

newpov

neli

I AM mantra
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »

Neptune,

Thanks for your reply, You are very right in many things, our bodies know which mantra to follow, maybe our inner selves. In my case the mantra chanted loud makes my body resonates stronger, but I do it internally also, as I have found that the Shree Om is very intense, be it inner or outer. For example the SA TA NA MA doesn't work with me, its useless in my body. It helped me a lot the OM NAMAH SHIVAYA, but time ago, not now. You are very right one must listen to our bodies, maybe is not the time to work the I am  alone, or maybe my body doesn't accept it like that one of the SA TA NA MA. I'll listen more to my intuition, its the best guide. thanks a lot for the reminder.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

quote:
Originally posted by neli

Hi,
I don't know what is happening to me lately that this mantra is not working anymore, nor loud or inner, is Shakti testing me ?Any advice ?
Thanks
Sat Nam
Neli

My thoughts on this is that we all have an inner "Guide", or as Yogani says, "The guru is in you."  Traditionally, the "guru" would bestow the mantra on the initiate. So, Neli, if your inner guru, tells you that the "I am" mantra is not working for you, this should be telling you something, right? Your inner being is telling you that this mantra is not right for you. We are all unique, and what is the sense in supposing that the same mantra is the best for everyone?  And ultimately, we are our own best guide in these matters. I call that intuition, and have found that intuition can be a very definitive guide in this mystery of transformational unfolding. Following the herd instinct to do what a group says is best, is nonsense. Trust yourself to find the mantra that truly resonates with you. And never be intimidated by any group that think they know what is best for you, no matter what is the issue in your life. We are not here to follow herd instinct. We are here to follow our heart, and to find our own divinity.  And to do that, frankly, we alone are the best judge of what to do next, and what mantra is our heart's desire and need.  Good luck on your chosen path.
your brother, neptune.

neli

I AM mantra
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 04:50:03 PM »

Newpov,

Thanks for your quote. I really think that we have to be like Columbus, ohterwise we can get stuck into uncertainty. Krishnamurti was right "Truth is a pathless land". The truth for one is not the truth for the other. Our biggest mistake is to forget to listen to ourselves. Intuition plays a big role here.

Thanks for your advice.
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by newpov

neli,

From Chapter 8, Concerning Meditation, by Richard Rolle, in THE MENDING OF LIFE, translated by M.L. Del Mastro from the Latin and available from Amazon used books:

quote:
... Still others arrange their meditations so that they sound nothing but the praise and desire of the Creator, in order that they may love Him as much as may be possible to pilgrims...  this meditation is more excellent than the others and most greatly forms the contemplative man. Therefore, just as the works and exercises of the elect are diverse, so their meditations are diverse.

Nevertheless, all meditations which come forth from one found tend toward one end, and arrive at one state of blessedness, or lead to it, bu by diverse roads through a single love, which is greater in one man than in another. “He guides me by paths of virtue,” Psalm 22, as if he said, “There is one justice, but many are the paths by which we are led to the glory of eternal life.”

... no man can establish himself on any of these paths unless he accepts the one for which God has chosen him. Sometimes people who seem to us to be on the high path are on the lower path, and vice-versa, for that condition only appears inwardly before God, within the soul, not outwardly before men, in any deed a man can do externally. But in truth men are directed according to their disposition, their meditation and their affection, to this path or to that one. By no exterior works can it be known who is the greater or who is the lesser in the sight of God.

Therefore it is foolish for people to make judgments concerning the chosen...

... thus the good thoughts and meditations of the chosen are from God... I might be able, therefore, to describe my meditations for you, but I do not know how to explain which kinds will be more fully effective for you, for I have not seen your interior affection.

... Nevertheless you will be able to make a beginning from the sayings of others, which I have experienced in my very self.

... if your meditations now desire the love of Christ, or now resound His praise, you have, as it seems to me, been well disposed... Exercise the meditations in which you experience the greater sweetness and delight in God, for these will more fully perfect you. For to meditate without sweetness produces little, except in that condition on account of which the sweetness is not felt.

Evidently the lessons of Yogani are only initial suggestions, they cannot and will not take any of us the entire distance.

Krishnamurti asserted that “Truth is a pathless land.” Saint Paul saw things only imperfectly, though he was no longer a spiritual child. Doubtless he would agree with Krishnamurti's statement.

We must be like Columbus, leaving the comfort of Isabella's (Yogani's) sighted land for uncharted waters. How often must Columbus have doubted his own compass? How often might he have had to face cautions and objections, and even mutiny, from his fellows?

Evidently the chosen people, the spiritual elect, are men and women who in courage and humility acknowledge their ongoing uncertainties, but nonetheless proceed to explore inner space with the temperament and expectations of Columbus.

newpov

neli

I AM mantra
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »

Christi,

Before I get here, I was, for a long time in Jhanas, but now I have left this beautiful and wonderful Buddhist practice, cause I wanted to enter the world of "sensations". My meditations lasted 3 hours in Jhanas, but not in the K path, in this path I meditate one hour and a half, cause for me 20 minutes is not enough to quieten my mind. I need more time. half an hour of mantras,  and one hour of stillness.
Its my body that beggs for this, not my mind.

Maybe cause I can't meditate twice a day, just once. My body is used to one meditation per day, maybe I have to change this, but is not that easy.

I was before in many things, but now I am only in the K path. For years I was in Siddha Yoga, then I moved to Jhanas, stood there for a long time also. and in this path I have more than a year, but let me say that Jhanas awakens the K path alone, without problems, its like a side effect of Jhanas,(so I think the K path had awakened alone while in Jhanas a couple of years ago). People in Jhanas does not put attention to Kundalini. I mean when I was in Jhanas I was feeling the K energy, but I never put attention to the crowling sensation and other things, till I read something about Kundalini, and I really like this path, its similar to Jhanas, "stillness" (absorption), nimittas, sensations of the energy. But I can say that the most wonderful ecstasies I have had, had been here, following some of Yogani's practices. I have practiced the I am maybe for 4 months, and my inner self is telling me that is not working, I have read the enhancements of the mantras, that's why I added the Shree Om at the beginning, to boost the energy. In Jhanas we don't use mantras, they are useless, the energy flows alone, no need for any mantra. I mean people thinks that Jhanas is nothing, but compared to the K path, is like comparing heaven with earth, but I wanted to be on earth, is not that one is bigger than the other, they are just different, but they complement each other. BaBa Muktananda used several mantras, the same as guru Mayi.

If a physician tells me to take a pill, and that pill is not working on my body,(and I need a pill) he cannot force me to take it, cause it can kills me. He immediately change the pill, many pills he can try on me till one can fits on my body. I remember a physician that gave me a pill time ago, and told me that I have to accept it, and wanted to give me other pill to accept the other, and I was feeling awful, till I told him that it was his responsability if something happened to me, then he changed the pill to another one. My body was rejecting that pill without reason, I don't know why, not even the doctor knew why.

many doctors studied my case and told me that I was one in a million that the pill caused  the bad symptoms. It supposed to be  a "harmless" pill for them, and a very good one for many people.

Thanks for your reply
Neli[8D]

quote:

Hi Neli,

It seems that you are putting your own system of practice together by taking bits from here and there. That's fine and it may well work for you, but you do need to be carefull. It is very difficult to put together a system of spiritual practices that will have the right outcome in the long run, and not be dangerous in the short term.

An added problem is that if you keep shifting practices, you won't go deep enough with any one system to make any genuine progress. You will always be swayed by what your mind thinks it needs at any given moment.
Remember Yogani's reply to TI?

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3691&whichpage=7#36136

Mixing 3 mantras, Jhana meditations, AYP mantra meditation and 3 hour sittings?
I really think you should decide on one system of spiritual practices and stick to it for a decent amount of time. And when you have, results should be judged over the long term, not by what you can feel in one meditation sitting.

Good luck

Christi

gumpi

I AM mantra
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 12:21:30 AM »
neli, you said that after one hour of meditation your mind quiets completely.  Isn't that the goal of meditation?  It must feel good!  I think i know what it is like but i need to stop nodding off.

I think Neptune is right.  Go with what feels right to you, use your intuition, the internal compass, to guide you.  Only you can know what is best for you, especially now you have mentioned your reactions to medications.  I was once on an anti-psychotic pill that really didn't bode well with me until it was changed and then the sun came out so to speak.  You don't have to use I AM mantra.  Besides, if you are doing the advanced version of it then that is even better.  I would stick to that.  Whatever brings YOU there, if you know what i mean.

Have you ever tried binaural beat or brain entrainment technology?  Transparent do a free trial program called Neuroprogrammer and they have a nice forum.  I found this program definitely worked for me but some people find it too powerful.  I wouldn't suggest mixing too many practices at all, but i wondered about the goal of meditation being ultimately to still the mind and so whatever takes you there the best is something you have to work out.  

The danger is in mixing too many practices.  It is like what happens to people who lose faith in a religion or spiritual path only to go around to different churches etc ingesting everything and never sticking to one thing.  Yogananda called it "spiritual indigestion".  Definitely to be avoided.  Think of it like learning to play the piano - it needs practice and dedication and if you keep trying out different styles (rock, blues, jazz etc) instead of mastering the basics it can lead to problems later on.  

I don't agree that you have to use I AM mantra.  Whoever said that was wrong.  One shoe size doesn't fit all people.  And lastly, it isn't about techniques, it is about love.

newpov

I AM mantra
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 01:07:14 AM »
"And lastly, it isn't about techniques, it is about love."

YES ! ! ! ! YES ! ! ! !

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
I AM mantra
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 02:34:06 AM »
Hi Neptune,

quote:
I have always liked your user name of Christi, because of the association with Christ. Many times I read your posts and think to myself, that you are Yogani himself. In any case, you are a person of tremendous experience in all things yogic and I have the greatest respect for your comments.

Thanks for the compliment. [:)]
 Actually I am really just a beginner at Yoga and at AYP and have a great deal to learn. In the back of the Secrets of Wilder novel there is a chart of practices, showing typical practices for beginner, intermediate and advanced students, and when I checked my practices on the chart I am still at the beginner level. So I have a long way to go, but I am trying. I was probably a bit hard on Neli, but I will try and explain why.

quote:
That said, I think a person can be overly dogmatic and doctrinal about advanced yoga practices and mantras. You know, the strength of Yogani's teachings, is that he has pulled together teachings from various traditional sources, including kriya yoga, hatha yoga, tantric yoga. Except for the "I am" mantra. That, he invented himself. And I have no problem with him inventing that mantra. But, of all the practices that he has organized into his program called AYP, the "I am" mantra" is the only wild card. That is, the only practice that did not originate in ancient times from the rishis in the hills of old India. Secondly, central to his teachings is that all of us have an inner Voice, purusha, that is the basis for his always ending teachings with the words "The guru is in you."

In other words, we have an inner wisdom to guide us in all things if we refine our perception of that. Of THAT. And for you to say that we must all use the "I am" mantra, is narrowminded, at best.

First off, I don't think I have ever said that everyone should use the I AM mantra! I did not say that above. What I did say is that with spiritual practices it is important to work within a proven system (whatever that system may be). This is even more important when working with mantras, as they have effects on the subtle nervous system that we may not realize until later. (It is also important when working with pranayama)

As you know, in the lessons, Yogani lays out the method for working with the I AM mantra, and goes on to give instructions for how to expand the mantra in steps, and how to back off if necessary if we find out that we are not yet ready for the increase in power.

In the instructions for using the basic I AM mantra, it does not say, "if, after about four months you cannot feel the resonance of the I AM mantra in your body, then change to a different mantra, any one that feels right for you. Trust your inner guru." [:)]

There is a good reason why he didn't write that into the system, and that is because it would be madness.

I have seen many things over the years, and I have seen many "disaster cases"... people who went too far, too soon, and ended up in a mess. Being completely serious, I have met some who I think will never recover, at least not in this lifetime. Most do recover, fortunately, but it can be a long journey. The biggest causes of these cases are, in my experience, wrong use of visualizations (especially involving chakras), wrong use of pranayama, and wrong use of mantras.

People learn spiritual practices from here or there, as we all do these days, and they have an extremely strong devotion, a longing for God, and they practice every day using whatever practices they have learned. I have done this as well, without realizing how dangerous it was.

This summer I spent a lot of time helping a lady in England. She had learned a spiritual practice a few years ago which she called the "Sedona method". She had practiced it every day. Then one day it all went wrong. Her energy system went haywire and her emotions too. Last time I saw her she was almost blind, and suicidal.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the same would happen to Neli if she changed her mantra to Om Shanti, or just chanted Sri Om, and left the I AM part out. She would most likely be absolutely fine. But I am saying that we should not trifle with mantras, or change them simply because we feel that a different one would work better, or feels better in our body.

There seem to be a lot of people here saying that we can trust our inner Guru to tell us which mantra is right for us. If we have that degree of connectedness with our inner Guru, then maybe we can. But how many of us really do?

Yes, it is true that Yogani has assembled AYP from many different systems, and invented parts of it himself, but that doesn't mean that we all can do this (or should do this). He did a lot of experimentation, and paid the price in terms of energy overloads. To be able to put AYP together in a way that is safe and effective for thousands of people took an amazing degree of understanding of the workings of the human nervous system, which only comes from years of experience.

Chanting mantras aloud (Japa) is a different matter, but when it comes to using mantras internally as part of meditation, I would say (again) follow the guidance of an experienced teacher. Personally, I am quite happy for people to use all sorts of mantras (pretty much any mantra in fact [:)]) as long as they are doing it under guidance from someone who knows how mantras work, and more importantly, how the process of spiritual transformation works at the deepest level.

All the best to you too.

Christi
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 03:15:13 AM by Christi »

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
I AM mantra
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 02:51:46 AM »
Hi Neli,

quote:
I have practiced the I am maybe for 4 months, and my inner self is telling me that is not working,

It sounds like you are doing really well. I agree with Gumpi, silence is the goal of meditation, not inner energy experiences which come and go.

It sounds to me as if you feel it is not working because you are looking for "sensations". But Kundalini yoga, and AYP are not designed to produce sensations. Sensations can be a by-product of yoga (just as they can in Jhana absorptions), but stillness and ecstatic love are the real goals. And ecstatic love comes as a result of surrendering into silence.

Four months is a very short time to be using a mantra for. I would stick with it and see how far you can go.

Christi

gumpi

I AM mantra
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 07:00:52 AM »
I felt i had to add something.

Love has no expectations.  When you love a person you can expect them to hurt you, but that doesn't matter because you love them.  

In the same way, love knows no expectations, so when you meditate, do it out of love and the time will fly and you will feel good.  And loving without expecting a return for it gets registered in the spiritual karmic bank account.  So, the more you meditate for the love of meditation rather than expecting anything from it, the more mature you are.  And this maturity is the crown jewel of experience.  Because when you expect nothing, suddenly everything is there.  And you don't even have to work for it.

So love, to me, is the essence of bhakti, karma, jnana and kriya.  The action of loving in meditation and every day life, being free from results, ie the end is not taken for the means, is real love, and it produces endeless results.  

Sorry, i ranted.

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
I AM mantra
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »
Thank you Christi - I strongly agree with what you state in your posts in this topic.

It is impossible to judge the effect of the I am mantra if it is mixed with other mantras and different practises. That is like playing 4 of Beethovens symphonies at the same time and expect it to still sound like Beethoven. And 4 months of using a mantra is not enough. Before AYP I did about 8 years of TM meditation and then I spent about 13 years with another mantra. I meditated twice daily. Both of the mantras did something. The Kundalini was awakened before I met AYP.

Then I found AYP. And it was reading Yoganis lessons that instilled the trust in me that this guy knew what he was doing. And since that is the case -  I was more than willing to trust the bit about the I am mantra too.  

Noone here says that you must use the I am mantra. Not even Yogani says that. You are offered this tool through the system of AYP. That's all. The rest is up to you.

I find AYP is for practitioners at any level; no matter which direction they come from. That is the beauty of it. The only thing AYP stresses is consistancy of practise, self-pacing, and to go out and activly live your life between practises. All of it according to where we all individually are in the process.

I was in serious energy overload when I found the AYP website. Through AYP I learned to self-pace. This has been crucial.

Although I experience ecstatic conductivity (Kundalini) always, I never enhanced the mantra. I still use just I am. It is still enough as I am sensitive. But I wasn't always sensitive to the practise. The sensitivity developped over the years. However - it took almost 2 years before I could feel the direct effect of the I am mantra on the spinal chord. And I did only Pranayama and Deep Meditation during that time.

It is what happens outside meditation time that makes me trust this practise - not what I see or hear or feel during meditation. It is about increased Joy in the life I am already living. It is about great calmness spreading throughout the day and night. It is about greater clarity, the ability to act with much less effort. I simply enjoy myself more....

But most of all,
it is about increased reverence for life itself.

Everything is holy to me now.

neli

I AM mantra
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 05:55:55 PM »

Gumpi,

You are right, meditation quietens the mind, but I think the goal is enlightenment, that at the end is consciousness and love.

I don't understand why the I am mantra alone doesn't works with me, but it works the SHREE OM I AM, I think I have to follow my intuition, cause I don't want to have another episode of the "marvellous" pill that almost killed me, time ago.

I haven't tried what you have said, only I tried for a weak or a little more the KunLun nei Gung, and found this fascinating, but left it aside, cause I began to have nightmares at that time, maybe it was a cleanse of the energy, but I didn't wanted to mix them, as TI told me that he was told that one must not mix kundalini energy with Kunlun, so I left it time ago. Kunlun is very strong and rapid, it flows down, like a shower, but that's great, I think many of the group practice this, as it feels great. But I don't do it now, till I master the K energy.

In the Path of Truth one must evolve, and move, if one doesn't move, it is not evolution, as movement preceds evolution. I don't mix several things at the same time, but with time I evolve, I mean, first I was in Siddha Yoga, for years, liked very much, till I knew it was not for me, as they "adore" the guru, not the teachings. I can see them in the street, all of them have the pic of guru Mayi with them, and  show her to all people, as if telling them that she is God, and she is only a guru, liked more Muktananda, but people want to be flocked by a guru. I have never liked to be flocked by anyone.

In Jhanas there is no guru, its only the teachings, sometimes a guru appears to enlighten people, not to be adored as gurus, but to enlighten if that others wants to be guided by a guru or teacher, or friend, whatever the name (thanks Jeff)

But you are right, one must follow the first steps, to learn to handle the energy, like learning to play the piano. You are right its about love and practice, and learning as kundalini its like a guitar.
And I want to play the guitar as best as I can.

Neli[:D]

quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

neli, you said that after one hour of meditation your mind quiets completely.  Isn't that the goal of meditation?  It must feel good!  I think i know what it is like but i need to stop nodding off.

I think Neptune is right.  Go with what feels right to you, use your intuition, the internal compass, to guide you.  Only you can know what is best for you, especially now you have mentioned your reactions to medications.  I was once on an anti-psychotic pill that really didn't bode well with me until it was changed and then the sun came out so to speak.  You don't have to use I AM mantra.  Besides, if you are doing the advanced version of it then that is even better.  I would stick to that.  Whatever brings YOU there, if you know what i mean.

Have you ever tried binaural beat or brain entrainment technology?  Transparent do a free trial program called Neuroprogrammer and they have a nice forum.  I found this program definitely worked for me but some people find it too powerful.  I wouldn't suggest mixing too many practices at all, but i wondered about the goal of meditation being ultimately to still the mind and so whatever takes you there the best is something you have to work out.  

The danger is in mixing too many practices.  It is like what happens to people who lose faith in a religion or spiritual path only to go around to different churches etc ingesting everything and never sticking to one thing.  Yogananda called it "spiritual indigestion".  Definitely to be avoided.  Think of it like learning to play the piano - it needs practice and dedication and if you keep trying out different styles (rock, blues, jazz etc) instead of mastering the basics it can lead to problems later on.  

I don't agree that you have to use I AM mantra.  Whoever said that was wrong.  One shoe size doesn't fit all people.  And lastly, it isn't about techniques, it is about love.

neli

I AM mantra
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

Christi,

In kundalini everything is "sensations" even the ecstasies. I can be in stillness, but its also another "sensation". Maybe you are right that 4 months are short time for a mantra, but when I practiced the SHREE OM internally, I felt it immediately flowing up in my spine. so if I felt the Shree Om since the first day, why not the I am ? if I have 4 months trying with this mantra ? I'm still practicing this mantra, but its so slow on my body. You are right, I want to feel sensations, but all K energy is that, even the chakra's openings, love, or ecstasies, all are sensations, even in Jhanas there are sensations, but people try to block them out. Even Samadhi is a sensation, a very strong one, but its just another sensation nothing more. Also the sutras are sensations.
What is the goal of stillness ? ecstasy ? or love, or blissfulness, all of them are sensations. even if we don't look for them, we are always waiting for a "sensation"

Knowledge
Communication with angels, or guides, or whatever.
Love
Connectedness
Happiness
Ecstasy
Samahdi

All are sensations that we internally want to experiment. If we are honest with ourselves.

Neli[:)]

quote:

Hi Neli,

quote:
I have practiced the I am maybe for 4 months, and my inner self is telling me that is not working,

It sounds like you are doing really well. I agree with Gumpi, silence is the goal of meditation, not inner energy experiences which come and go.

It sounds to me as if you feel it is not working because you are looking for "sensations". But Kundalini yoga, and AYP are not designed to produce sensations. Sensations can be a by-product of yoga (just as they can in Jhana absorptions), but stillness and ecstatic love are the real goals. And ecstatic love comes as a result of surrendering into silence.

Four months is a very short time to be using a mantra for. I would stick with it and see how far you can go.

Christi

neli

I AM mantra
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »

Gumpi

Love is a sensation, a beautiful one, like the ecstasy, or Samadhi.
It's impossible to live in this planet without expectations, in the meditation we expect to be better in some way or another. We love our kids, but we expect them to bring us good notes, and to behave. We love God, and we expect him to listen to us. In meditation we expect to grow more in spirituality or to know more, (unconsciously). I expect this world to be a paradise, as was given to us by God, and we have made a Hell of it. I expect this planet to be alive cause its our home, and also I expect that human beings were like brothers, without borders, instead of figthing and killing each other. But I'm just dreaming.

Neli[8D]

quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

I felt i had to add something.

Love has no expectations.  When you love a person you can expect them to hurt you, but that doesn't matter because you love them.  

In the same way, love knows no expectations, so when you meditate, do it out of love and the time will fly and you will feel good.  And loving without expecting a return for it gets registered in the spiritual karmic bank account.  So, the more you meditate for the love of meditation rather than expecting anything from it, the more mature you are.  And this maturity is the crown jewel of experience.  Because when you expect nothing, suddenly everything is there.  And you don't even have to work for it.

So love, to me, is the essence of bhakti, karma, jnana and kriya.  The action of loving in meditation and every day life, being free from results, ie the end is not taken for the means, is real love, and it produces endeless results.  

Sorry, i ranted.