Author Topic: Eyelid Spasms During Sambhavi  (Read 2987 times)

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
Eyelid Spasms During Sambhavi
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 07:23:32 AM »
quote:
Jim Said:Yup. It's never boring. One quickly loses the newbie urge to figure out "how it all works". The mind can't hope to keep up. Looking backward, there may be insight, but there's always some new paradigm-upsetting shake-up just around the corner.

It's not an undertaking for those who need to feel in control, or who hope to bring their preconceptions with them.

Would you agree Jim that there must be "understanding" for it to be complete. Not understanding gained from "figuring things out" but from "insight" through "awareness"?

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
No. I've absolutely abandoned any notion that my mind can bring peace, happiness, or love.

My mind can do lots of stuff, and what it can't do, I can easily imagine training it to do. I've carefully observed minds working all my life, including mine. I see the value in the mind, for understanding, learning, analyzing and discussing. And I'm inclined to look toward it for all things, because my mind works pretty well! But I deeply, innately, see its limits. The answer ain't there. It's not a thought I could think, or a word I could speak, or a concept I could fathom. I haven't tried them all yet, but, hey, I don't have to run down every single dead end in a maze to know I'm in a maze! A mere 20,000 lifetimes of maze running has been sufficient to convince me of that.  What does your bhakti tell you?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:00:21 PM by Jim and His Karma »

brushjw

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
I just wanted to report that I "solved" the problem by adopting the attitude that the eye spasms were a symptom of an altered state of consciousness.  I accept the energy and this allows me to relax into the technique, ignoring the eyelids as best I can.  As I descend into stillness, the energy in the eyes seems to synch with my heart and gets quite intense.  First the bubbling cauldron, a loudly cracking neck when I get up, soreness in the back afterwards.

Grounding, as suggested by Yogani, helps.  It's a bit too cold for walking outside this time of year so I do 20+ minutes of treadmill, yoga asanas, then some weight training.  The metal in the bars and weights helps ground me :-)  

My "balance" consists of overdoing it, backing off, overdoing it, backing off... fortunately my body isn't shy about sending my brain feedback.  I try to listen but my bhakti, for the time being, rules.

Namaste,
Joe

brushjw

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »
I received a massage today and that really helped.  Afterwards the Sound of Silence was a gentle stream of sound in my ears, caressing me with its divine melody.  I also saw auras around light sources for a half-hour afterwards - soft, diffused rainbow colors. Heavenly.

My love flows strongly tonight.  Blessings to all.

aum namaste,
Joe

brushjw

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »
I've been slowly working my way up to being able to raise and center my eyes in sambhavi.  I find I can only do this from a place of deep stillness.  Maybe "I" - my ego - needs to be absent for the process to work.  Usually, though, the spasms increase as I keep my intention on the practice and so I back off.

I've had experiences in the past of muscle spasms in other parts of the body that felt strong but, when I looked, could only see a slight tremor.  To see how strong the eyelid spasms "really" were I placed my fingertips on my eyes while they were spasming and... nothing.  The energy stopped.  No spasms.  

My first thought was, "Oh, great, I'm just crazy.  It's all in my imagination."  I repeated this test several more times over the next few days with the same result.  Yesterday, however, I tried putting only a feather-light touch on the eyelids and was able to feel the movement in my fingertips.  

aum namste,
Joe

brushjw

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
Tonight as I touched my forehead to the floor in Balasana (child pose) I experienced what I can only describe as a forehead negative orgasm.  That is, extreme sensual pleasure arising from my forehead but instead of a spasming genital release pleasure, it was a relaxing, receiving connecting pleasure.  It was instantaneous and felt very right.  I instinctively raised my eyes in sambhavi for a few seconds and experienced no eye spasms.

I tried it again tonight on the lawn in our apartment common space.  The cool earth was heavenly, as was the scent of the dirt and the tickle of new grass growth.  Spring.  This time my eyelids spasmed.  Perhaps I was self-conscious in such a public location.

The double-grounding combination of Balasana and the earth intrigues me.  As it's focusing energy/attention on my Ajna chakra, hopefully it will be more productive than my disastrous crown chakra experience - which also felt very right at the time.  I plan on performing an earth Balasana in the secluded mountains this weekend when I go hiking.  Heck, maybe I'll make a sacred ritual of it all. [:)]

namaste,
Joe

VIL

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »
Hey, Joe, that sounds like a lot of fun.  When I lived out west, years ago, I used to hike within the mountains and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Now that I live back east I go up to a lake and spend time within the evergreens.  Me and a friend took our dogs a couple of days ago and are going tomorrow if I don't have to work, since I've been running around with this new position lately.

They say that being within the mountains is excellent way to really get in touch with ourselves, something to do with this ancient connection rooted within the earth.  The reason why many sages live within mountains.

Anyway, keep us posted.

Namaste:

[:)]

VIL

brushjw

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »
I went on a hike last weekend but didn't make a sacred ritual of it.  I did today and the experience was wonderful.  Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed but I know I have to post before I forget.

I began the hike by performing the Child's Pose asana at the trail head.  As soon as my forehead hit the ground I felt an immediate connection, a centering pull, a feeling of rightness.  

As I began the hike I was surprised to find an occasional mound of unmelted snow.  The temperature was quite cool, perhaps in the low 50's.  The first mile of the trail was on a wide abandoned logging trail.  The ascent was mild but I was somewhat dismayed to notice my breathing laboring somewhat.  I took this as a signal to slow down my already deliberate pace even more, concentrating on each step.  I used the meditative technique I'd used before AYP of counting my breaths.  After a hundred breaths I performed the asana, then continued the hike while I chanted one verse of the Gayatri Mantra out loud as I listened to the mantra with headphones on my mp3 player.

As I continued my climb I spontaneously started increasing the number of verses I sang incrementally by one each time.  I found that the placement of both my hands on the ground while pushing myself off the ground after the asana led to a wonderful feeling in my hands.  Again the connectedness to the earth and the sense of rightness, but, as my forehead was not connecting with the ground it was a stability, perhaps nobility of stature, rather than being of the earth.  I noticed that when I looked at the ground with half-closed eyes I saw small pinpoints of light cascading down into the ground.

The second half of the hike was on a more traditional narrow hiking trail and the ascent was a bit steeper.  As the number of mantras grew I slowed my pace even further to be able to sing the mantra with exact pronunciation.  I passed wonderful little streams with magical songs of spring, an abundance of impressive moss and an increasing sense of peace.  I stilled myself to listen to the wind beginning in a distant hilltop, then roar to the summit above me and pass on to other mountains.  The air was heavy with mist and visibility was perhaps only 200 feet.  After one asana, on my hands and knees, I noticed a subtle trembling in my body.  As I concentrated on this I realized that it was my heartbeat and the aftershocks of blood coursing through my veins and arteries which was causing the vibration.

I reached the summit with a feeling of sadness but quickly let go of that as just another thought.  Visibility at the top was minimal, perhaps only 50 feet.  The wind was gusting at 20-30 mph.  I looked up at the well-preserved fire tower, it's top almost obscured by the mist, and decided to climb.  I put on the Gayatri Mantra music and began a slow ascent up the slick stairs, the handrail dripping with condensation, singing each syllable quite distinctly and with passion.  I dismissed thoughts of the cold and fear as my hands numbed and continued up slowly.  At the top there was a brief respite from the wind.  I performed an asana, then spontaneously bobbed my head up and down, up on all fours, forehead to the floor, up and down, over and over, praying, singing, prostrating, praying, singing, prostrating... om bh#363;r bhuvah svah Om tat savitur varenyam Bhargo devasya dh#299;mahi Dhiyo yo nah prachoday#257;t Om…

I climbed slowly, deliberately back down the stairs and did the same asanas/prostration/mantra on the ground at the base of the fire tower.  I finished and headed back down the trail.  My head was so quiet I had no inclination or need to count and decided to skip the mantra singing.  The wind roared through me and the drips of moisture off the Spruce trees splashed loudly on the pine needles.

My pace increased on the downhill slope and I reached out and lightly grabbed trees to help my balance.  Again the touch felt wonderful.  I stopped at one particularly beautiful little tree, perhaps five inches in diameter and twenty feet tall.  I put both hands on its trunk and admired the smoothness of the bark, its nobility of stature.  I hugged the tree, kissed it and told it I loved it.  Again I embraced it and felt its long presence reaching up to the sky.

As I continued down thoughts slowly began to reappear and the Sound of Silence sang to me.  I realized that the Silence I obtained near the summit was a state of consciousness beyond that I experience listening to the unstruck sound.  I greeted this knowledge with relief because I had known that the SoS disappears as one becomes more effaced in meditative absorption.  For quite a while I feared the loss of the SoS because it has become so much a part of my life.  Now I know I have nothing to fear.  On the far side is a transcendent state of being of the utmost subtlety.

The SoS increased to a symphony with the wind, the trickle of streams and the river, my breathing and footsteps...

By the time I reached my car thoughts had returned.

Namaste,
Joe
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:16:13 PM by brushjw »

VIL

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »
Hey, Joe, I'm glad you had a good time it sounded like a great adventure.

Namaste:

[:)]

VIL

brushjw

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »
"Whatsoever you see around you is a fact. You see a tree, a green tree, full of sap and flowers -- it is a fact. But if you meditate and one day suddenly your eyes open, open to the real, and the tree is no more just a tree -- the green of it is nothing but God green in it, and the sap running through it is no more a physical phenomenon but something spiritual -- if one day you can see the being of the tree, the God of the tree, that the tree is only a manifestation of the divine, you have seen the truth."

Osho, Book of Wisdom Chapter 10

brushjw

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »
From sambhavi to grounding,  hiking to inner stillness, back to sambhavi.

When I first started sambhavi, I visualized my spinal column and squeezed the prana up.  I liked the feeling and more is better, right?  Wrong.

I found that visualizing a finger tracing it's way from my perenium, up my spine to my third eye was a good way of focusing attention while keeping the intensity level down.

For a while I was visualizing a disembodied spinal column and brain, tracing the path both in my body and in the picture in my head.

Last summer I was on the ferry, enjoying the sun and the wind and the smell of the water.  I closed my eyes and lifted my head up.  The wind felt like a gentle kiss from Existence.  Lately I've thought of this gentle lover's breath of air while my attention goes up the spine.  It is very effective at holding my attention and is very gentle.

My two hiking/niyamas experiences resulted in a deep state of inner stillness.  Lying in bed afterwards I was able to raise my eyes for a time without the spasming.  I have still not been able to do this in formal meditation.  It seems that I will have to undergo a thorough transformation before I can progress in AYP.  Thy will be done. [8)]

namaste,
Joe

brushjw

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 06:44:13 AM »
The physical progression of spiritual bliss/ecstasy is interesting.  I hope this isn’t inappropriate for this forum – if so I’ll delete it...  A couple of months back I began bringing my energy/attention up the spine at the moment just before physical orgasm.  The result was a “cold chill up the spine” like I experienced as a child when someone told a scary story.  But this cold chill goes up to the head and makes a tingling sensation in my crown.  The physical component of the orgasm has become less intense and less important.  The reverberations of energy pulse through my body for a while afterwards.  Quite different from a normal physical-only orgasm, yet somehow more satisfying.

I am quite aware of the dangers of a premature crown opening, but I’ve felt stuck because my progress to sambhavi has stalled due to my eyelid spasms.  I’ve been lightly following the beginning practices as outlined in Awakening the Third Eye (http://www.clairvision.org/ckb/ckbe/ckbl/fol_0000_0001/cat_0000_0001/SaganATE.pdf).  The “throat friction”, in particular, seems to have been very helpful at opening things up.  My inner silence has deepened and I occasionally (not yet regularly) am able to raise my eyes in sambhavi.  Also, I am occasionally experiencing energy traveling up my spine and blossoming in a warm, tingling feeling in my crown.  Maybe I’ve discovered a sambhavi reform school [:)]

Do you ever have one of those cold chills which are so strong it results in a vocalization?  I had one of those yesterday at work, which blossomed in my crown, and reverberated tingly feel-good sensations all through my body, pulsing and slowly fading.  It was remarkably similar to a genital orgasm, without the sexual component.  

Thankfully most of the "digestive" issues associated with spinal breathing have passed (no pun intended).  The neck cracks are becoming INTENSE.  One yesterday at work was so loud and relieved so much pressure that I actually said "Holy s**t!" out loud.

I’m also experiencing a blissful feeling in my mouth, connected to the SoS/energy.  My tongue becomes connected to the roof of my mouth.  There is a tingling feeling, quite strong at times, in the roof of the mouth.  The SoS, my breathing, my attention, the menthol “taste” and the energy in my mouth all seem to be part of some strange process.  Occasionally it results in Peace pouring down on me.  Grace like rain.

Namaste,
Joe
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:45:35 AM by brushjw »

brushjw

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »
For some reason Tibetan Ice's description of "...towards the end of each session I would find myself in a large dark cave with what seemed like an endless pool of calm water in it" (http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3691&whichpage=1) has resonated within me.  I now 'see' my head differently as I go up the spine in pranayama and I spontaneously have begun releasing my energy into a "pool of calm water".  That's not exactly it, but that's a better description than I can come up with.

This has coincided with the ability to consistently maintain my attention with a very light touch.  I've begun to realize the similarity to samyama (http://www.aypsite.com/plus/150.html): "With samyama, we are initiating meaning in silence.  We do it in a simple, easy, systematic way.  First we create an impulse of meaning in silence, and then we let it go in silence."

Yogani explains that this works because "nner silence is a huge amplifier of subtle thought."  For me, it seems that to be that something is being pulled out of me by the Universe, as opposed to me creating an effect via physical application of a thought construct.  Something like the difference bettween "push" and "pull" Web technology (http://ecommercetechnology.org/english/data/70.htm).

This complete reversal of the process also makes sense of how pratyahara works.  At time I feel like I'm literally being pulled into bliss consciousness by the energy created by my AYP practices.

namaste,
Joe

brushjw

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 01:47:52 AM »
"In the physical world when you want something you have to strive for it. But in the spiritual worlds everything is reversed, as on the other side of a mirror. If you want something you have to let it come to you. It is a new skill which has to be developed. It could be called ‘active letting go’ or ‘creative letting go’. It is the capacity to be transparent and to let states of consciousness be revealed through you.

Just be aware, and everything will happen."

Awakening the Third Eye by Samuel Sagan p. 13
http://www.clairvision.org/ckb/ckbe/ckbl/fol_0000_0001/cat_0000_0001/SaganATE.pdf

namaste,
Joe

brushjw

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »
I had my eyes examined on Friday and the ophthalmologist asked me if I'd experienced "flashing lights or floaters".  LOL! [:D]

The deep pool doesn't happen often but the SoS/movement in my mouth etc. does.  If I don't consciously relax, my jaw quickly becomes sore.  I've learned that if I realax and concentrate of the third eye it begins pulsing when my concentration reaches a certain level.  Then my experience is that of a process which is happening, rather than an "I" named Joe.  For some reason I quickly exit this state and become distracted by thoughts but I know from experience I'll slowly learn to maintain this state for longer and longer periods over time.

For three years now I've been thinking it is strange that I don't miss the SoS or other phala of my meditative absorption.  I find the state of mind I achieve preferable to discursive thinking,so many times through the day I reconnect to inner stillness.  But there seems to be no obsession/addiction/clinging.  I just realized today that what I am experiencing is not a feeling, it's an altered state of consciousness.  It's easy to grasp and cling to good feelings but that does not happen to states of consciousness.  I may cling to the feelings associated with specific states of consciousness (scenerey) but not the state itself (the path).

namaste,
Joe
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:10:56 AM by brushjw »